Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A question regarding the Eternal Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob Hansen
    Guardian of the Grail
    • Dec 2010

We've seen in THE QUEST FOR TANELORN when
    Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 04-14-2011, 07:48 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags

Comment

• wiredwullff
      wiredwullff
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Rob Hansen View Post
      We've seen in THE QUEST FOR TANELORN when
      Thanks so much! for your reply!I have mainly read Eric books but Iv'e also read the Corum series and some of the other books to within the multiverse event horizon but I usally have to read them five or six times or more before they stick! You answered my question well and left me happy!

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
      Hawkmoon survived because his story allowed him to survive (as far as we know) but he was also a hero of a different temperament to the others. Not every hero shares the same fate even if the central story is essentially a tragedy. The thing to remember is that the nature of my multiverse is fundamentally optimistic but it takes a lot of sacrifice and misery on the part of various heroes (and others) to keep it running! Elric uses the 'stolen energy' as fuel. Whether any of that fuel remains for long in the sword I can't say, though Elric, I agree, remains trapped in that sword. Maybe someone else will deal with what happens to Elric if he survives within the sword! I'm now collaborating with two other people in continuing E's adventures before Stormbringer. Maybe one of those will come up with an idea of what happens if Elric and Stormbringer were separated. I'm not sure I'll live long enough, given the number of books I'd like to write, to tell that story myself!
      Whoa-That's a" if Elic survive's" coming from you the writer! I hope you allow him to live !
      . Ever consider a short story collection of short unconnected Elric Tales? Like "A thing that happend In a tavern in ______.? Your THE Master!

On the other hand-it may be difficult to find anyone who will not find a good sized group decrying their writing of Elric even if it's someone you hand picked or a small group or team{I very much enjoyed the fanbook which had a forward by you, especially the first story with Hendrix meeting Elric} just as it is difficult to replace any unique individual talent. It's easier to be a critic and say something could have been done better or has flaws. Perhaps [and I am not asking!] you left the character "hanging" like that in a way that it could rest with thought on it-and if need be rest for good neither living or dead to be able to do other projects[Which smacks of a serial like flash gordon-serials should continue[or Flash should finish off Ming for good and end it], stories like movies can have open endings with room for speculation so I guess it could be left there for the imagination to take over of each individual reader to his likes. I have to say I still would expect many to attempt to fill the niche if none are picked{out of love for the story and/or a instant money maker}{so I hope your copyrights are strong and built to last,no room for unauthorized saga streams}. I hope none of my comments are rude, they are not meant to be.

There are other differences, too. He's married with children for example. They can't ALL be tragedies!
      That's a great line "they can't ALL be tragedies" and would make a nice t-shirt. I'm waiting for mine. And I like you employed the lovable!
      Last edited by wiredwullff; 04-15-2011, 03:21 PM. Reason: Merged posts
      "? ",qouz"! ' c. mackay from extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of the crowds.

Comment

• David Mosley
        Eternal Administrator
        • Jul 2004

We've seen in THE QUEST FOR TANELORN THE CHAMPION OF GARATHORM when <SPOILER>
        Just a minor correction there, Rob.

Originally posted by wiredwullff
        There are other differences, too. He's married with children for example. They can't ALL be tragedies!
        That's a great line "they can't ALL be tragedies" and would make a nice t-shirt. I'm waiting for mine. And I like you employed the lovable!
        There's an alternative ending for Hawkmoon in The White Wolf's Son, I believe.
        Last edited by David Mosley; 04-15-2011, 10:56 AM.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• wiredwullff
          wiredwullff
          • Mar 2010

About Merged post...

I just realized I may have stepped on some toes and trod into the realms of writers.. I hope I haven't ruined a good idea for future Elric by either putting it forth or hitting close to something already thought of-If it needs a disclaimer-this is it. If this wont work ask. sorry it should have been private mail
          Last edited by wiredwullff; 04-16-2011, 11:40 PM. Reason: wanted to add the word may
          "? ",qouz"! ' c. mackay from extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of the crowds.

Comment

• Rob Hansen
            Guardian of the Grail
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
            D'oh! And I only reread those books a couple of months ago, too. Oh, and apologies for omitting the spoiler tags. I blame the pain meds for all this.

Comment

• wiredwullff
              wiredwullff
              • Mar 2010

off topic&gt;I understand about pain meds...

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
              D'oh! And I only reread those books a couple of months ago, too. Oh, and apologies for omitting the spoiler tags. I blame the pain meds for all this.
              This is off topic [not Hot Topic haha] But I hear you about pain meds-I sawed into my knee without feeling it and only knew when someone pointed it out-one other time I was working in construction and the guy using a skill saw left the blade in backwards[you should always check]and I cut through four layers of leather[mountain climbing boots] and three layers of socks to nick my foot and drawing only a little blood...lucky it was cold and I was not wearing my usual cheap boots or tennis shoes: I would have lost my foot. Those warnings on the meds are there for a reason... there's more but the point's been made.
              Last edited by wiredwullff; 04-17-2011, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• J-Sun
                Priest of Nadsokor
                • Dec 2007

We've had that debate on which one is the end of the Eternal Champion sequence. Quest for Tanelorn, the Multiverse comic, etc. This is why I like QfT as the end of the sequence. A harsh job for the Champion, but in the end, at least one aspect gets a happy ending. Also maybe why thta is one of my favorite MM books.
                "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Working...
                X