Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A question regarding the Eternal Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question regarding the Eternal Champion

Michael, I have been an avid reader of your work since the mid 1970's and there is one question I must ask. Concerning the last couple of chapters of The Quest for Tanelorn, why is Hawkmoon the only incarnation of the Eternal Champion to
    As you areaware,
    If you could answer this for me, I would very much appreciate it.
    Last edited by The Cosmic Balance; 01-11-2010, 12:56 PM. Reason: Spoiler tags added for those who haven't read the books yet.

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
    There are other differences, too. He's married with children for example. They can't ALL be tragedies!
    Were Hawkmoon's kids a pain in the ass? That would make his ensuing life somewhat tragic...
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

The new Tor is out!
      Kevin McCabe
      The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
        The new Tor is out!
        The runes tell me that you are not referring to Joe Kubert's caveman hero, but the latest edition of The Jewel in the Skull.

Comment

Nice memory, Mr. Lawley! I had forgotten old Tor after all these years; it was one of the first comics that I can recall reading, along w/Dr. Strange & Sgt. Rock.

Comment

Yup, the conversation was about Hawkmoon, so I figured I would point out that this nice, new, illustrated is out and at a reasonable price! Not sure about Tor, the Caveman.
            Kevin McCabe
            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

All of Kubert's Tor comics were collected a few years back in some nice hardbacks. They show up on ebay pretty frequently. Well worth having.

Comment

Thanks!
                Kevin McCabe

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                  Yup, the conversation was about Hawkmoon, so I figured I would point out that this nice, new, illustrated is out and at a reasonable price! Not sure about Tor, the Caveman.
                  Kevin, who illustrates the latest Hawkmoon books? I have the series from the 70's but I'd be interested to see who is doing artwork for this series.

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Vance Kovacs
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

David! You brought back the blue links at the bottom of the page; plus everything is New! and Improved!!

Thank the Balance for you tech-y chaps!

Comment

A very interesting question!

Originally posted by Shenegar Trott View Post
                        Michael, I have been an avid reader of your work since the mid 1970's and there is one question I must ask. Concerning the last couple of chapters of The Quest for Tanelorn, why is Hawkmoon the only incarnation of the Eternal Champion to
                        As you areaware,
                        If you could answer this for me, I would very much appreciate it.
                        As far as the spoiler on elric
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2011, 12:17 AM. Reason: Merged two posts into one and added spoiler tags
                        "? ",qouz"! ' c. mackay from extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of the crowds.

Comment

Hawkmoon survived because his story allowed him to survive (as far as we know) but he was also a hero of a different temperament to the others. Not every hero shares the same fate even if the central story is essentially a tragedy. The thing to remember is that the nature of my multiverse is fundamentally optimistic but it takes a lot of sacrifice and misery on the part of various heroes (and others) to keep it running! Elric uses the 'stolen energy' as fuel. Whether any of that fuel remains for long in the sword I can't say, though Elric, I agree, remains trapped in that sword. Maybe someone else will deal with what happens to Elric if he survives within the sword! I'm now collaborating with two other people in continuing E's adventures before Stormbringer. Maybe one of those will come up with an idea of what happens if Elric and Stormbringer were separated. I'm not sure I'll live long enough, given the number of books I'd like to write, to tell that story myself!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
                            ...though Elric, I agree, remains trapped in that sword. Maybe someone else will deal with what happens to Elric if he survives within the sword! I'm now collaborating with two other people in continuing E's adventures before Stormbringer. Maybe one of those will come up with an idea of what happens if Elric and Stormbringer were separated. I'm not sure I'll live long enough, given the number of books I'd like to write, to tell that story myself!

Mike, that's the best thing you could ever say! Only, I would love such a story to come from you, since you know Elric better than anyone.

das
                            Last edited by dasNdanger; 04-15-2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X