Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hawkmoon quartet from Tor Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawkmoon quartet from Tor Books

Reviews of New Fiction, Mystery, Science Fiction and Comics
    Publishers Weekly

Hawkmoon: The Jewel in the Skull Michael Moorcock. Tor, $13.99 paper (224p) ISBN 978-0-7653-2473-3

This classic sword and sorcery novel from 1967 finds a shattered future Europe recovering from the “Tragic Millennium” spent under the control of the overtly evil Dark Empire of Granbretan. The reclusive Count Brass, lord of the former French region Kamarg, enrages the empire when he spurns an offer of alliance. Imperial envoy Baron Meliadus sends defeated rebel Dorian Hawkmoon to kidnap Brass's daughter, Yisselda, but Hawkmoon's inherent morality, his own infatuation with Yisselda, and Brass's kindness lead Hawkmoon to ally with Brass though he knows it spells his own doom. This novel is quite short by modern standards, giving the story a compressed and distilled effect. There is little space for nuanced politics or any depth of characterization, but the action is extremely fast-paced, and Moorcock fits more plot into 224 pages than other authors manage in a dozen volumes. (Jan.)

More...
    Last edited by David Mosley; 12-11-2009, 08:44 AM.

I hope Mike authorized this. If so, it's great!!! I, for one, really like to see the number of his books for sale new steadily grow on the store shelves. And, it's cool having new copies for myself.
    Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Yes, Kevin, it's all kosher! And you'll find more information on the TOR website, These editions are also illustrated. TOR have various ideas for promoting these books,

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Mike, you might like to know, too, that there is a girl who works at the B&N near us in Brooklyn who told me she also works for Tor & a few months back, when I picked up a copy of your "Best Of" compilation, she said I should keep watch for the reissue of the Hawkmoon books. That's how I first found out about this. Somebody is doing their job!

Comment

Thanks for the info Mike. Like I said, it will be good to see the shelves load up again for a new generation (and, I'm always happy with ANY good excuse to re-read Hawkmoon. )
          Kevin McCabe
          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Fiction Book Reviews: 2/1/2010 - Publishers Weekly

Fiction Book Reviews: 2/1/2010
            Publishers Weekly

Hawkmoon: The Mad God's Amulet Michael Moorcock. Tor, $13.99 paper (208p) ISBN 978-0-7653-2474-0
            Venerable fantasy author Moorcock returns to the far future world of the Runestaff in this 1968 sequel to The Jewel in the Skull. Dorian Hawkmoon's journey back to Castle Brass is interrupted by seemingly chance encounters, first with Granbretan's forces and then with a series of increasingly dangerous foes. Aided by his faithful companions, Hawkmoon must outwit the Dark Empire, defeat pirates and monsters, and overcome the Mad God and his army of madwomen to rescue his beloved (and tissue-thin) Yisselda and save Castle Brass. The frenetic action comes at the cost of characterization, and Moorcock unabashedly embraces extraordinary, contrived coincidences as he pushes his protagonists to inevitable victory against overwhelming forces. Some readers will find the story quaintly charming, while others will think it hopelessly outdated. (Apr.)

Last edited by David Mosley; 02-01-2010, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by newsbot View Post
              ... Moorcock unabashedly embraces extraordinary, contrived coincidences as he pushes his protagonists to inevitable victory against overwhelming forces. Some readers will find the story quaintly charming, while others will think it hopelessly outdated.
              OI!! I just read through "modern author" Dan Brown's hopeless piece of shit "Demons and Angels", where "extraordinary, contrived coincidences... [push] his protagonists to inevitable [and physically impossible] victory against overwhelming forces".

MM for ever!

Des
              Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

I am so dense sometimes. This book cover is some two years old and I've only tonight spotted the skull in the painting(!).

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Wow! A Moorcock facepalm! You get extra Balance points for that one!
                  "Mud and voles for my Lord Arioch!"
                  Elric by the Riverbank

Comment

Mass market paperback edition of The Jewel in the Skull will be realeased in July by Tor.

Also:
                    After releasing each of the four Hawkmoon books individually, Tor will publish an omnibus.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post

I am so dense sometimes. This book cover is some two years old and I've only tonight spotted the skull in the painting(!).

Har! Never saw it either until I read your accompanying bit.
                      Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                        Originally posted by David Mosley View Post

Har! Never saw it either until I read your accompanying bit.
                        Me neither, but I have an excuse: I have only the omnibus
                        ( though I only could see the skull after David pointing it )
                        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by Jussi View Post
                          Mass market paperback edition of The Jewel in the Skull will be realeased in July by Tor.
                          Now it has been cancelled. I wonder why.

Comment

Tor US will publish an omnibus edition of The Jewel in the Skull and The Mad God's Amulet in February 2015. The paperback is titled Jewel and Amulet.

Comment

You can see the cover art here:

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.co...sku=0765375125

Comment

Working...
                              X