Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hats Off To Sizemore: "the guy Bill Gates failed to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hats Off To Sizemore: "the guy Bill Gates failed to buy

I think I just came across a blurb about our illustrious site administrator in 'King Of The City."

In chapter 12, 'The Drift,' Moorcock mentions that Denny Dover's friend Tubby had "a computer designed for him by Sizemore, the guy Bill Gates failed to buy."

You made it into a book Berry! Cool beans! 8)

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this, particulary Berry!

Please excuse me if this has already been brought up...
    \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

:oops:

I was so happy when I saw that.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Of course, you'd think being mentioned in a Moorcock book would be cool enough, but the image of you facing down Bill Gates... uber-cool! 8) For some reason it suggests a Western movie to me, where Gates comes into the saloon to try to recruit you, and you have to slap him around a bit to get the message across. "Who was that masked stranger?" "That was the guy Bill Gates failed to buy." Then you walk off into the sunset, with your spurs a-rattlin'...

D...
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I'm sure Mr Gates is a nice man....who to I'm not sure. But someone can't be totaly evil / corrupt can they ????????????????????

Comment

The reference alludes to my refusal to run this site on Microsoft-based technology, such as IIS and my desire to use more advanced and community supported software and operating systems, such as Linux. Tubby's cyber-station is a reference to the Q&A and other tools Michael used to have.

Whether you like it or not, Bill Gates represents all that is crappy about Microsoft. If you think donating computers laden with Microsoft products to libraries and schools is an act of altruism then you're probably comfortable with Microsoft having 95% market share globally. I'm not comfortable and I refuse to collude with coporate America. Besides, the technology is crap.

It is easy to use. Like a Pez dispenser; every time Bill opens his mouth a piece of shit pops out.

One of my favorite terms that M$ created was "software ecosystem". :lol:

Why so bitter? MSSQL munged a couple hundred questions in the first version of the Q&A.
          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Congratulations Berry. That's awesome you made it into a book. Actually I've just got the last hardcover copy of King of the City from barnesandnoble.com, and I can't wait to read it. I remember the misfortunate loss of data in the old Q&A, and can understand your bitterness towards Microsoft. And the reminds me, when will the old Q&A archive will be up and running on the new site? There were some excellent discussions there, and a lot of interesting information.

Best Regards,

Oren

Comment

Originally posted by Oren Douek
              Congratulations Berry. That's awesome you made it into a book. Actually I've just got the last hardcover copy of King of the City from barnesandnoble.com, and I can't wait to read it. I remember the misfortunate loss of data in the old Q&A, and can understand your bitterness towards Microsoft. And the reminds me, when will the old Q&A archive will be up and running on the new site? There were some excellent discussions there, and a lot of interesting information.

Best Regards,

Oren
              Thanks for asking. I am currently having discussions with a skilled mysql guy who may do what we need. I still have the data. If he doesn't help us, I'll write the code eventually. The problem is that I can't drop it into this forum system because of all the registered users. People might get misquoted, so what will happen is that each question and answer will appear together in the portal as an article. People will be able to add comments to each article. I'll have the ability then to cross reference everything into Topics. For example, "Michael Moorcock on Ronald Reagan" would contain answers that touched on RR. Hang in there.

Comment

That's way cool.
                Hopefully any of us has a chance to be
                in White Wolf's Son.
                I hope I'm on here enough so that
                Michael might use my name--
                you know, if he has some cool,
                awesome character he needs a name for!
                you know... something like...

"In the dark, dank cell squatted
                Jerico-- decrepit, with rotted teeth
                in maw, exuding the worst case of
                halitosis in the entire realm.
                Perverted and prone to flatulence,
                he sat in deep contemplation, devising
                a way for utter revenge upon whom he
                hated most... the one often called
                The White Reaver, Prince of Ruins."

Comment

"Sizemore" is mentioned once again later on in the book.

I believe "Berry and co." is part of the dedication in 'The Dreamthief's Daughter,' as well!

Immortalized and well on his way to a multiversal bus pass. 8)
                  \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

It's true. I was in KING OF THE CITY twice. Talk about a head trip.

DREAMTHIEF'S DAUGHTER was dedicated to Berry & Co. I always assumed that the & Co. part were those who had made contributions to the site. At that time, Web-X, Inc., the company I worked for, were donating bandwidth and Chris Handy was lending his server Linux expertise. My co-dedicatee is Michael's god daughter.

Comment

Working...
                    X