Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Defining genres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    My old maxim used to be 'a book isn't published until it's remaindered' -- based on the fact that many of the books which have become my favourites (Peake, for instance) were originally remaindered. I bought them cheap and bought the rest of Peake thereafter.
    I couldn't agree more. If it hadn't been for remaindered stock, I might never have 'discovered' Hunter S. Thompson or Mick Farren (or Calvin & Hobbes). If it hadn't been for second hand shops, I might never have read any Moorcock or Philip K. Dick. That would make me a very sad bunny indeed. Oddly, a lot of my favourite books are ones that I picked up on a whim in a random remainder or second-hand shop.

D...
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Interesting point, concerning the difference betwixt the American and the English Fanatsy markets. Look at the covers, more specifically, the way that American covers (not to say anything derogatory about American taste etc) but always appear to be bigger, brighetr, with buxom young women and men with big swords. English covers are more restrained and understated, with greater emphasis on events and mystery than showing the heroes bedecked in their battle array.
      First Moorcock book: Elric (Fantasy Masterworks, lot of criticism levelled at this but, it was brilliant.) Stormbringer merely confirmed to me that killing your main charcters is the way to go in books. I always had done and, probably, always will do.

Comment

Fantasy Masterworks went the way I almost always go re. covers -- If you can't get a good modern artist, go for the public domain. :)
        I hate generic fantasy art, I must say. There are some very good breaks from that in the US and UK, but I don't care if I never see another dragon/unicorn/wizard. The PreRaphaelites produced a lot of very good fantasy book-jackets...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
          My old maxim used to be 'a book isn't published until it's remaindered'
          I picked up "Silverheart" remaindered - that's the reason I'm here now! The Waterstones domination of the book trade is so dull. When they opened in Chichester a few years ago they had a huge selection - but now their competitors have disappeared, that's all gone to be replaced with 25 copies of Jordan's autobiography or whatever on the shelves. The remainder shops are far more interesting (and obviously cheaper!)
          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
          X