Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mr.Moorcock. strange question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr.Moorcock. strange question

I was wondering if you have ever read the book, Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn. If you have I would like to hear your thoughts on it. Also, I would like to know how you feel about veganism/vegetarianism.
    (If you have not read it I highly suggest it to everyone! Even if you dont agree with it)
    P.S
    Did I get that punctuation right?

-Mike

Just keeping this in sight

Comment

Hi

Whats it about? Never heard of it?

Comment

Its a book that would be ruined if someone tried to describe it.
        give it a shot

Comment

b u mp

Comment

I, too, would like to know how Moorcock feels about veganism and vegetarianism. Given all the references to the culinary habits of Third Reich officials found in The Dreamthief's Daughter I suspect that he is wary of such ideas. But then, of course, it might only be von Bek's opinions which are being expressed.

I recently read that Hitler's vegetarianism was a propaganda trick. They just wanted him to seem generally healthy. However, I can't give you the source of that piece of information at the moment, sorry about that.

Mind, this doesn't make TDD faulty or "unrealistic". Even von Bek's sharp mind might have fallen prey to some of the propaganda...

I'll be back when I find the source, if anyone is interested.
            You can't spell "politically correct" without "correct".

Comment

As a vegetarian with few if any plans to invade Poland, I am very interested in the subject. Hitler is one of those names that tends to get thrown up in any conversation about veggies, especially when the meat-eaters think you're trying to make them feel bad... which I would never do. I only ever mention my veggie status if someone asks me a question directly related to meat ("Do you want some of my bacon?", etc). I think my choice to turn veggie was mostly because I felt bad about the way animals are reared and slaughtered as if they were nothing more than walking slabs of meat, just waiting to be injected with hormones or fed on lord-knows-what. It wasn't a health thing, just a problem with the industry. If somone hunts their own food, and guts it, then all power to them in my book... I do believe that we have a right to kill and eat animals, but I think it should be on a more personal level.

Does that make sense? If not, put it down to a lack of iron in my diet! :)

D...
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                As a vegetarian with few if any plans to invade Poland, I am very interested in the subject.
                Oh, I see how it is, think you are too good for Poland do you?

:D

Comment

As a vegetarian with few if any plans to invade Poland, I am very interested in the subject.
                  I'm from Poland. What exactly is your point?

Comment

. Hitler is one of those names that tends to get thrown up in any conversation about veggies, especially when the meat-eaters think you're trying to make them feel bad.
                    A good standard answer when someone says "Did you know that Hitler was a vegetarian?" is "So was Einstein. Doesn't prove anything.". There is always the risk of being interrogated on nuclear physics, of course. Not to mention being accused of supporting nuclear weapons... :)

Bad deeds can be done in the name of any ideology or lifestyle. This is good to remember in order to (1) fend off those who are trying guilt-by-association arguments and (2) avoid joining a sect.

Still looking for the source...

Comment

It seems that Robert Payne, in The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler, concludes that Hitler was recommended a vegetarian diet by his doctors, but didn't follow their recommendations for any length of time. The German Vegetarian Society choose to dissolve rather than join the Nazi movement, which was compulsory for formerly independent societies in Germany 1935-45. See link:

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/hitler.html

Comment

Originally posted by Krzysiek
                        I'm from Poland. What exactly is your point?
                        My point was that I am not Adolf Hitler. I didn't mean to cause offence by referring specifically to Poland, it was just the first thing that came to mind... one of the many differences between myself and Hitler.

I have absolutely nothing against the Polish people, or their country.

Sorry.

D...

Comment

My point was that I am not Adolf Hitler.
                          I'm sure you're not.

Take it easy. I was just asking...

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                            Take it easy. I was just asking...
                            Sorry, I was just worried I'd said something stupid... and possibly in rather poor taste. I have a tendency to type first and think later. :D

D...

Comment

Or are you still bitter at the hair loss? :D

I kid, I kid...
                              Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Working...
                              X