Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Authors with a similar writing style to Michael Moorcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authors with a similar writing style to Michael Moorcock?

Hi,

Who are some authors that write in a similar style to Moorcock? With his quick, vivid style and word usage? (like in his Elric novels)

Id a thought he was kinda unique like all artists.Dont know any others. Would like to find some. :twisted:

Comment

Hehe yeah me too! :D

Does anyone know if there are any US publishers publishing "Death is no Obstacle"?

Comment

Yeah, I can't think of that many who have that quick style the original post refers to, and yet who have the sometimes hidden and sometimes obvious depth of his writing. The writers he's associated with in the New Worlds and science fiction new wave "scene" are all unique and some of the most original authors around. So I don't think you could say they write like each other...

Comment

Dickens (see Gloriana & Mother London). Not joking!
          \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

I think there is noone... Elric Saga is unique...
            But if to talk about other NewWave-writers, I choose Philip Dick. It is SF, but motives and moods of his and MJM works are similar? I think)))))

Comment

Originally posted by Peon of Grand Ambitions
              Does anyone know if there are any US publishers publishing "Death is no Obstacle"?
              MM mentioned not too long ago that he has tried, but Colin Greenland's people own the publishing rights, and they aren't moving on it, at present.

Am I remembering that right? I certainly don't claim to speak for Mike, and I don't want to misrepresent what he has said.

Comment

Thanks! I lub you peeps :D

Re - Death is No Obstacle - I actually got two copies of it now, hehe, I bought one off Amazon, and the other off abebooks. So I'm happy!

Comment

I can't think of anyone I ever read that had a similiar style to MM. However, when I was a youth reading the Eternal Champion cycle, I found I equally liked the works of the late Roger Zelazny. In particular, the 'Chronicles of Amber '. This was the first chronicle, as he had yet done the second. All together it's ten books. Also, as stand alones, my two other favorites are 'Lord of Light' and 'Creatures of Light and Darkness'. The latter is out of print, but I have seen it in used bookstores. In fact , the ten volumes of Amber are now available in one trade paperback edition. You can also probably find these in your local library. Enjoy. :)

TL

Comment

Very nice Cure/The Crow reference in you new signature, ThomasL.

Comment

Thanks, Doc.

It suits me of late.

Comment

I just finished reading Evangeline Walton's Prince of Annyn, the first of her Mabinogion tetralogy. Her pace and word usage struck me as very similar to MM's , especially the Corum books. Perhaps because both are inspired by/based on Celtic myths?

Comment

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Comment

Just read 3 Hearts and 3 lions by Poul Anderson. it easily qualifies in this regard. short, sweet and highly enjoyable.

Comment

Great man! I'll add it to my list, I appreciate you mentioning it! :)

Comment

Working...
                              X