Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Tanelorn the mythical city of peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanelorn the mythical city of peace

Tanelorn, The mythical city of Peace surely has to be Mike's greatest invention. Mike I wondered how did the concept of Tanelorn begin and how did you arrive at such a great name for it? I was thinking it would make a great name for our house, not that we get much chance for peace, but tis a worthy goal!

Tanelorn combines many of the following themes and much more:

Sanctuary a place of safety within a church
    Valhalla resting place of heroes
    Rivendell JRRT LOTR

I saw this timeline for Elric, did any of you guys create this?
    http://www.dodgenet.com/~moonblossom/Eltime.html

Blimey, after reading that I think I forgot more than I remembered!

I don't know how I came up with it. It first appears in a story I wrote for Science Fantasy between Elric tales -- To Rescue Tanelorn. It just seemed a nice idea... I've always liked the idea of 'sanctuaries' in
    place of strife -- Sporting Club Square in London, for instance -- and
    Arab water gardens in busy cities, that sort of thing. I like to be near the action, but I want to be able to get away from the noise and bustle of it sometimes. Derry and Toms Famous Roof Garden used to be like that for me. As it is for Jerry C.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Corum
      Rivendell JRRT LOTR
      As far as Middle-Earth goes, I've always likened Tanelorn to Valinor (which is pretty much Tolkien's Valhalla), except that it is perhaps easier to come and go from Tanelorn.
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

The going part is the interesting and unique facet. Tanelorn is a bit like a drive-thru Nirvana since it has all the answers, but you can leave them behind if you're still not satisfied (or really if your sword's not satisfied).

Very interesting to find the "To Rescue Tanelorn" story actually predates it's place in the Elric tales. Did you put the mention of Elric contained inside it in at a later edition?
        My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Shangrila and Shambhala

Best Inn and Econolodge

Club Med? Las Vegas!
          \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
          Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
            Originally posted by Corum
            Rivendell JRRT LOTR
            As far as Middle-Earth goes, I've always likened Tanelorn to Valinor (which is pretty much Tolkien's Valhalla), except that it is perhaps easier to come and go from Tanelorn.
            JRRT's place is static. I suspect those elves are playing chess and plinking their harps to the same eternal crappy repitoire.

Tanelorn is much more dynamic, and you're not stuck there eternally in a spiritual dead end. I bet they play Concrete Blonde in Tanelorn.

That is my public, dying wish. I want Concrete Blonde music played at my funeral or memorial. And if they are available, I'd like them to play it. And I want to be buried with my keyboard's J key.

That is all.
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I bet they play Concrete Blonde in Tanelorn.
              What kind of place would Tanelorn be if they didn't play Concrete Blonde?

Comment

...and there are stadium-sized video screens showing a montage of Alicia Witt playing piano, Janeane Garofalo bowling and Ludivine Sagnier dancing with Emma Caufield in a 50s pastiche.

Well, that's what I heard anyway... you know how these warrior types talk when they're "in their cups". :D

D...
                "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

D,
                  When you get to heaven someday,
                  you're gonna be having a blast! I can tell

I'll come and visit ok?

Then later you can later come and visit the MasterJer's SuperCaliFreakalisticExpealidocious Galleria of Pleasure.

All you could ever want, and I'm not even The Devil!

Comment

Originally posted by Danisty
                    I bet they play Concrete Blonde in Tanelorn.
                    What kind of place would Tanelorn be if they didn't play Concrete Blonde?
                    This is the correct answer.
                    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

"Janeane Garofalo bowling "

This needs explanation...NO, WAIT! DON'T!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean that as a joke; not always, but sometimes, with the right light and the right clothes, I find her cute.

Comment

Didn't one of her "wonderful" movies feature her bowling?
                        What was the name of that "superhero" movie with her,
                        Ben Stiller, and William H. Macy?
                        For some reason I'm recalling that bowling was involved????
                        =====
                        Is that where D gets his J. Garofalo fantasies from?

Thanks Manmiles :arrow:
                        \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                        Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Originally posted by Jerico
                          Mystery Men

Comment

Not having seen that movie (and not having logged on), I thought that was D sharing a little too much information. :lol:

Although if bowling is your thing...

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                              Originally posted by Jerico
                              Mystery Men
                              Yeah, it was Mystery Men -- an abysmal film -- and Garafalo took out villains with a bowling ball that contained the soul of her father or something like that. Stupid.

Originally posted by Bill As A Guest
                              ...not always, but sometimes, with the right light and the right clothes, I find her cute.
                              Yup. Ever see that episode of Seinfeld where he has this girlfriend who is only a looker half the time? It's kinda like that.
                              "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                              --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Working...
                              X