Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Viv Stanshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viv Stanshall

Mike
    Just back from holidaying in Corfu. I bought a couple of bargain books from Fopp to read while away (an excellent music retailler in UK, always has a vast selection of cheap CD's and books and not the usual crap that is sold off cheap). I read 'The First Book of Lankhmar' by Fritz Leiber, pretty much on the recommendations of this site and a fine read it was, but I digress, the second book was 'Ginger Geezer', the autobiograpy of Viv Stanshall ( I have a great fondness for music books and this is a cracker), now I really didn't know much about Viv, but one of my friends had told me it was a great read (for our American friends Viv was lead singer with 'The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band' among other things and also a Great British Eccentric). Anyway, I just wondered if you every met him, as you were both in the 'scene' back in the 60's & 70's and he was on Bob Calvert's 'Captain Lockheed' album.
    Doug

MM was also on the album playing the banjo, so it's very likely they met.

Comment

I didn't like Viv very much, unfortunately. He was a bastard to his wife.
      Not uncommon amongst people who get too high on their own success, maybe, and the list is almost endless, but I found him exhausting, much as Bob could be exhausting, when 'up'. Bipolarism can drain the sufferer and all around them pretty dry.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

A "lady" I used to work with went out with one of the other Bonzos in the 60s (Nigel? maybe not) and thought Viv was a lovely guy, but then again she described him as the most outrageous "queen"; so perhaps inevitable there would be some issues vis-a-vis his wife?

I passed over Ginger Geezer, hoping someone would buy me it for Solstice ( :( ), but it seemed obvious from my skim-read of it that Viv was a fairly tormented character and therefore probably an infuriating one. Rawlinson End seems a work of near-genius to me, his wordplay goes far beyond most emanances from the "rock world", but Ndidi's Kraal raises a few smiles and many many more hackles. Is it an affectionate send-up of imperialist attitudes or is it a vicious satire, or is it in danger of reinforcing stereotypes? Or am I taking the jester too seriously?
        \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Strangely (considering the timing of this thread) there was a documentary on Viv on BBC4 on Sunday (part of the 60s season they are running at weekends). Was John Martyn a couple of weeks back.

Comment

Working...
          X