Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Silverheart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silverheart

Saw this book in my local Forbidden Planet and, as I'd never seen it before, simply had to purchase it. I must say that I'm always a little sceptical when I see two authors working together, but I'm sure my doubts will dissipate as soon as I start reading it.

Anyone read it?
    Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

It's excellent - forgive me for saying so, but better (fresher certainly) than Dreamthief's Daughter. And you can't see the joins.
    \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

It was an enjoyable read. I couldn't see the join, but then again, I've never read any of Storm Constatine's work so I can't make a comparison.

I would love to see how it would've worked as a computer game though. In a way, there are some parts I can see working as a computer game but then the story becomes so tight, I wonder how. With it having been developed by Origin/EA and Chris Roberts, some kind of interactive movie with combat/exploration sequences comes to mind.

Ah well, I guess the only people who know is MM and Origin.

Comment

Um... I recently finished Silverheart, and I have to say I was a little underwhelmed. I think it's a good read, don't get me wrong, and I enjoyed it a lot, but... perhaps if you know that it was a computer game before hand, it's harder to ignore how linear the plot is. "Linear" probably isn't the right word, but it seemed very much as if the lead character was simply an errand boy collecting items and being fed just enough exposition to keep him ticking along. Which is exactly how those RPG computer games work, and the dialogue was far superior to any RPG I've ever played, but it isn't exactly my favourite book of Mr M's. I've also never read any Storm Constantine - although a goth I had a huge crush on at university was a big fan, so you'd think I would have made the effort - but it's definitely possible to spot Moorcockian flourishes in some parts... no joins as such, just a line or two here and there which seem a little more Moorcockian than the others.

I don't want to prejudice anyone, because it is a good read, and I think it might have made an excellent computer game, but after the more experimental prose and narrative structures of the Cornelius books, it was perhaps a little too linear for my tastes.

No offence to any award winning, well loved authors who may happen to read this! :D

D...
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

If Mr M is listening: would you tell us a little something about the background and development of this novel? To me it reads a lot more like one of Storm's books than one of yours. How much input to the actual writing did you have?
          "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl f'tagn"

Comment

Originally posted by zakt
            It's excellent - forgive me for saying so, but better (fresher certainly) than Dreamthief's Daughter. And you can't see the joins.
            I disagree that is better than Dreamthief's Daughter which is my favorite MM novel along with Dancers at the End of Time! I noticed that the film rights have been bought for Dreamthief' Daughter, and I'm looking foward to this, if it ever gets made. Or will this be woven into the Elric Saga (Can you say Michael?)

Storm Constantine is a good writer, though some people find her difficult to get into. "Wraeththu" is her best work, though my wife still won't read it, (her opinions are best not written). I have however failed to find any of her other works as enjoyable, including her parts in Silverheart that I did notice.

I find that she never really gets out of her Gothic angst? Of course this is just my personal opinion and I could be accused of the very same thing in my art and in the novel I've just started to pen!

Comment

I thought Storm would be an ideal collaborator on this and I'm glad she agreed to do it. We're currently negotiating an American publishing deal and might even do a sequel!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Book is really interesting. It was the last book, published in Russia, and it was a good present for russian readers...

But there are many rumors around this book.

I've heard that it was writen only by Storm. And that she used for that Michael Moorcock's plans for new RPG...
                Or comeone making computer game, using this book...

What is true?

Comment

O, but what about RPG? Was any Silverheart games created? :?:

Comment

Never read it, never heard of it. Whats up with me....

8O

Comment

Leicester bookshops shut on Sundays?
                      \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

How about a Jerry Cornelius or Second Ether game?
                        (Although some of those Japanese RPG's do get similarly confusing towards the end, I think that may be more a consequence of translation than artistic effect).

Comment

The game got quite a long way into production. I wrote a film script for the live action version and a game script for the game version. But then EA took over Origin and pulled the plug on the game. Chris later signed a new deal with Sony and we once again started work on the script, only to have the plug pulled again due to some issues Chris had with the parent company. Since then, nothing's been done about the game and I'm quite content to have a novel out of it. I'd always wanted to collaborate with Storm, so it satisfied that particular impulse.
                          Yes, it would be great to have a Second Ether game. Up and down the scales. Space as a dimension of Time. Should be nifty. Ha ha ha ha ha. I am IT and I am MORE THAN IT!!!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                            Should be nifty.
                            8)

Now an Elric game where YOU!, as Elric, have to hunt down Yrkoon and rescue Cymoril. Fantastic!

MUWU HA HA! (evil onomatapoeic laughter that I can't spell).

Concerning the design....

continued on another post. Under Mayan Skies
                            \'You know my destiny?\' said Elric eagerly. \'Tell me what it is, Niun Who Knew All.\'
                            Niun opened his mouth as if to speak but then firmly shut it again. \'No,\' he said. \'I have forgotten.\'

Comment

Working...
                            X