Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Thank You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You

Mr. Moorcock,

I just wanted to slip in here and say thanks, you've been my favorite author ever since I first picked up Elric of Melnibone' and have inspired me to become a writer as well (as I'm sure you've inspired thousands of others also). For twelve years I practiced and honed my writing, not to mention the simultaneous twelve years of cowardice at actually submitting my work during that time.

But finally I did, just about a year ago. I recently signed contracts with Wizards of the Coast for a short story in their Realms of the Dragons Vol.2 anthology and for my own novel Bloodwalk to be set in their shared world setting of Forgotten Realms. I don't plan to write in shared worlds forever, but for now I'm on top of the world and living a dream.

I consider you my greatest influence and just wanted to express my gratitude at having been introduced to your works all those years ago.

Thank You,

JP Davis

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Go, JP! Nice happy post, and no wonder - applause & (nice) jealousy abound

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
    \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Thank you for replying Mr. Moorcock (or do you prefer Michael?). I just recently found this site (not too computer savvy here) and will hopefully join in more discussion when I can get the member sign-up to work.

I'm looking forward to your next book, The Skrayling Tree was awesome.

Thanks again!
      Laters!

Comment

Congratulations stranger!
        Ill be looking for Bloodwalk in stores

Comment

Be prepared for a wait Locke. Bloodwalk isn't sue out until November 2006, ugh. I think its great that WOTC is contracting so far in advance to give authors more time, but the wait is a killer, especially for a first-timer like me! Realms of the Dragons 2 is due in May 2005 though, so not so bad on that one.

Eek! Here I am on Michael Moorcock's forum pushing my own books! My shamelessness knows no bounds, my apologies to all. :oops:

Comment

well i may as well ask you something.
            Did you start your novel from scratch and just develope a basic plot outline and take it as it went.
            or did you take classes, study, and get a lot of other help?
            the reason i ask this is because i wish to have at least one book published before my lifes over and im having a rocky start.
            thanks
            Mike

Comment

The basic story I came up with involved the major conflict and major characters. I think that's the true backbone of the story, to be able to sum up a proposal in two or three sentences, if they sound good take it further.

After that I fleshed out the outline a little more and brought in the "supporting cast" so to speak, adding in plot points to compliment the major conflict and eventually developed a loose chapter-by-chapter outline of the whole book. Nothing was set in stone and I'm making changes daily (my deadline is September 2005, so I'm only just inching toward half-way done), but the outline, to me, is an essential part of the process. To be able to hold a complete thought from beginning to end and then let it play itself out and take on its own life.

I took one creative writing class in high school, that's the extent of my formal education in writing fiction(not to mention all the required English classes as well). I think the biggest factor in deciding if your work is ready for submission is confidence. It took me twelve years to get the nerve, but when I did I knew I was ready and all that time paid off (though I feel I was at the right place at the right time also).

I don't think there's any one way to write a book, just find what you're comfortable with, but a strong conflict and intriguing characters are standards you can't go wrong with. I hope that helps! Good luck!

Comment

Thank you
                I was expecting a lame reply but that was great!
                haha thanks for the help and luck to you and your novel
                -Mike

Comment

Working...
                X