Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Why login? Faster browsing!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why login? Faster browsing!

Today somebody pointed out they only login when they want to post something. Seems reasonable enough. However, it doesn't allow for handy bit of super-speedyness I use all the time here - that being the "New Posts" button.

What button you ask? (If you don't use it, why would you know.) Here it is:

If you press that button, only those posts *you* haven't read show up. This means you can very very quickly find ongoing conversations and, from the thread titles and forum locations, decide if you want to keep up; join in or just ignore them. An example of some new posts is here:

The "New Post" button itself isn't all that great UNTIL you also add the "Mark Forums Read" option into the mix. This options marks everything posted before the current time as if it had been read. It is a little bit hidden however - you can find it here:

Thus, you can very quickly keep up with conversations anywhere on the site by pressing "New Posts"; reading only those threads that interest you; then pressing "Mark Forums Read" to remove the rest.

So endeth the lesson.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-05-2013, 07:58 AM. Reason: Move images to ImageHive

The funny thing: I would never have seen this post if I hadn't been using the "New Posts" feature.
    "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
    --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
      Today somebody pointed out they only login when they want to post something. Seems reasonable enough. However, it doesn't allow for handy bit of super-speedyness I use all the time here - that being the "New Posts" button.

What button you ask? (If you don't use it, why would you know.) Here it is:

If you press that button, only those posts *you* haven't read show up. This means you can very very quickly find ongoing conversations and, from the thread titles and forum locations, decide if you want to keep up; join in or just ignore them. An example of some new posts is here:

The "New Post" button itself isn't all that great UNTIL you also add the "Mark Forums Read" option into the mix. This options marks everything posted before the current time as if it had been read. It is a little bit hidden however - you can find it here:

Thus, you can very quickly keep up with conversations anywhere on the site by pressing "New Posts"; reading only those threads that interest you; then pressing "Mark Forums Read" to remove the rest.

So endeth the lesson.
      Sadly those buttons do not work anymore. Are there new links for these functions?

Comment

Originally posted by fammann View Post

Sadly those buttons do not work anymore. Are there new links for these functions?
        I've been using the "New Topics" feature and that seems to work really well to getting at recently posted items.
        "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
        'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Working...
        X