Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Advanced layout tips for your posts

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced layout tips for your posts

Advanced Layout - Youtube, MASK, Spoil and etc.

Follow the link below to learn how to make your posts snazzier.
    http://www.multiverse.org/fora/misc.php?do=bbcode

Selecting the time of YouTube links

You can control the start-time of a YouTube link in one of two ways.
    Our two examples will start 2 mins and 30 seconds into an example video (thanks to LE for the choice thereof!)

Method 1: For a direct URL link to YouTube itself
    You can create a direct URL link to a start time using the #t flag as follows:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DBOG3-Ab7k#t=2m30s
    Which gives you this link.

Method 2: For embedded YouTube links using [YouTube] forum tags
    To modify the start time of an embedded link, you need to use the &start command, which takes its arguments in seconds. So for our example 2m30 => 150seconds, we get
    [YOUTUBE]2DBOG3-Ab7k&start=150[/YOUTUBE]
    which results in the following:

Comment

Ever thought that "Mask" and "Spoiler" just don't really say what you wanted.
      I mean, they really, really weren't right. Totally wrong in fact. So wrong in fact...

Indeed.

So perhaps better presented using the all-new [mask=my mask name]hidden text[/mask] BB code: you tell it how to describe why you've masked the inner content. So for example:

This new feature does not change the normal [mask] behaviour: so all previous (and future) uses of the simple [mask]my text[/mask] act exactly as they did before. "Overloading" as it's called in the software world.

Thus the usual case: [mask]example of generic mask[/mask] gives:
      Last edited by Rothgo; 01-05-2013, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Rothgo,

Just amplifying a bit. :-) Nice work!

Code:
        [mask=Rant]example text[/mask]
        yields

[mask=how to do it]example text[/mask] yields
        You can create your own custom mask button: [mask=OMFG]example text[/mask] yields
        Last edited by Rothgo; 01-05-2013, 03:29 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary inverted commas., and "userMask" to simpler "mask"
        Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Crickey! I can't even embed a YouTube vid on here, let alone adjust the start time!
          forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
          2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
          3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

As the observant might observe (that being their way): "userMask" has gone, replaced with the simpler "mask" in all cases above. I didn't realise BB codes support overloading - but they do - which makes things shorter and easier!

Comment

Exciting. I wonder if one also mask images ...
              Letssee

GIGANTIC!!!!!
              Google ergo sum

Comment

Also very handy for youtube links, particularly those you've set to start immediately the mask is removed so the joke's impact is immediate.

What do you mean you don't know how to start an embedded video immediately...? Tsk tsk.

Comment

touché
                  Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Working...
                  X