Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Tinkering and tidying in the IH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinkering and tidying in the IH

As the title says I've been messing around in the IH. What I wanted to ask about was the fact that I have been making small changes to the image captions. Namely taking the publisher/date/cover artist/etc from the title field and putting it in the summary field.

From this -
    Before.jpg

To this -
    After.jpg

I think it looks tidier, but I'll stop until I have some feed back. I've changed all the albums starting with 'A' and 'B' and I've used the above image to illustrate the changes.

It makes ordering the images more difficult owing to the names being the same (this can be circumvented by re-ordering before altering), but no other problems suggest themselves to me.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 08-19-2006, 12:41 PM.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Oh! And I've also started taking my name off the ones I uploaded. That little bit of vanity has drained out of me since then.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
      Any thoughts?
      I agree in principle though I prefer the following layout personally:

An Alien Heat

Mayflower, 1974
      ISBN: 0-583-12106-3
      Cover by Bob Haberfield
      UK paperback

At the moment, however, you can't insert line breaks into the Summary text, so it all wraps, which looks less aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

Perhaps Berry, though, would check these links out for me?

Album Summary hack
      Showing descriptions or longer summaries in album pages?

By making one or other of the code changes to the Gallery software, these should allow us to use line breaks in the Summary field. I don't have access to the Gallery code side of things (afaik), which is why I need Berry to take a look at this.

Also, as I mention in this thread, I'm putting the following info into the Description field:

© Michael Moorcock 1972
      Mayflower, 1974
      ISBN: 0-583-12106-3
      Cover by Bob Haberfield
      UK paperback

Volume One of a Trilogy 'The Dancers at the End of Time'
      (See http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...2_itemId=56878 for an example.)
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Btw, I've also been working on the A's & B's in the Novels album today. If you check out http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...2_itemId=56588 you'll see that I've started putting some info in the Album summarys such as:

Book One of The Dancers at the End of Time
        Contains stories from The Stealer of Souls and The Singing Citadel
        Volume Four of the Jerry Cornelius Quartet

Judging by things, Guv(?) is following that by putting:

A Karl Glogauer book

under 'Behold the Man' and 'Breakfast in the Ruins', yes?
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Yeah, I noticed you doing that and added those about Glogauer. Thought it looked a good idea and those struck me as viable descriptions straight away. As a newcomer to MM's work I was grateful for any information I could get and this is a geat way of adding it.

I agree that your layout looks better, David, but as you say the text wrap prevents that. For the time being though I thought it looked tidier as I've done it. It won't take too much to alter the info once it is possible to change it to your way, and I'd gladly help update it.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
            Album Summary hack
            Showing descriptions or longer summaries in album pages?

By making one or other of the code changes to the Gallery software, these should allow us to use line breaks in the Summary field. I don't have access to the Gallery code side of things (afaik), which is why I need Berry to take a look at this.

I've opted for the second solution and implemented it. Please test and report level of satisfaction. I won't do the first suggested solution, because it will be a nightmare for us to manage into the future. Hopefully this thread never gets deleted so we know to do it for future upgrades.

- <input type="text" id="summary" size="60"
            - name="{g->formVar var="form[summary]"}" value="{$form.summary}"/>
            + <textarea id="summary" rows="2" cols="60"
            + name="{g->formVar var="form[summary]"}">{$form.summary}</textarea>
            remove the "-" lines in modules/core/template/ItemEditItem.tpl and add the "+" lines (without the + characters)
            you can then have multiline text for summary, though the total length still has to be 255 chars or less.
            the change in modules/core/templates/ItemEditCaptions.tpl should be similar.
            Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

I can post track listings for the lp's and cd's if you deem it necessary Herr Chaos Engineers.
              If it is so desirable do I simply post them under "Add Comments?" in the IH.
              If not I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
                I can post track listings for the lp's and cd's if you deem it necessary Herr Chaos Engineers.
                If it is so desirable do I simply post them under "Add Comments?" in the IH.
                Yeah that'd be great, v. Any information is gladly received. Posting them in the comments would be fine. If we want them anywhere else, one of us will edit them. If you could include any information on Mike's involvement, even better.

I have moved the Hawkwind covers from Limbo to the Hawkwind album, although I had to leave some 'broken' ones where they are. There seems to be a problem with gifs at the moment, but Herr F is working on that.
                Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 08-20-2006, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs
                  Please test and report level of satisfaction.
                  Lookin' good, herr Fuchs!

See http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...2_itemId=56858

Btw, I'm finding Abebooks 'search' facility a good way of finding ISBNs for the books.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                    Lookin' good, herr Fuchs!

See http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...2_itemId=56858

Btw, I'm finding Abebooks 'search' facility a good way of finding ISBNs for the books.
                    They are looking fantastic David.

If I understand the system correctly, I can create any "field" I want for any give image. Do you chaps feel that an ISBN field would be useful?
                    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs
                      They are looking fantastic David.

If I understand the system correctly, I can create any "field" I want for any give image. Do you chaps feel that an ISBN field would be useful?
                      I think it might. Some editions are hard to distinguish from one another, and ISBNs may help some people.

Comment

Gov. Wrote
                        Yeah that'd be great, v. Any information is gladly received. Posting them in the comments would be fine. If we want them anywhere else, one of us will edit them. If you could include any information on Mike's involvement, even better.
                        Ive done part of it Gov. But not in intense detail (its a start). Some info is only on lp's and some on cd's. Considering that there is no way to edit my info,I have made 2 or 3 posts per item in order to correct the mistakes. Can you please use the most recent posts and delete the rest???
                        Thanks Herr Gov.

Comment

Will do Herr v_g.

I can't predict when I'll get round to it but get round to it I will. (If someone doesn't beat me to it.) Thanks.

Comment

The image hive wont show thumbnails for GIF images but will for JPEG images. Is that why the "broken" images in the upload files havent been transferred into their proper categories? Do you think there is a solution for this problem or do I need a new source to replace the faulty pics?

Comment

If you have a means of saving the GIFs in JPG format then you could always re-upload them. If not, I could download your uploads and convert them before uploading them again.

Comment

Working...
                              X