Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Looking for feedback on "ranks" here on the board.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for feedback on "ranks" here on the board.

Be as critical as neccesary.

I haven't liked the Newcomer, Freshman, Junior, Senior, Immortal scheme. That was the best I could think of. Though I think everyone understands that this isn't meant to be mean, but could be insulting. So, I would like to invite the visitors and members to suggest a themed five slot ranking suggestion. Since we can change the ranking system any time we want, I'll try to rotate the ranks every so often. Or when someone reminds me.
    :lol:

So, this never ends. Just make your suggestions here. Your suggestion is always subject to the risk of never being used and is certainly not meant to make you feel disrespected. Let's not be to critical of others' suggestions. Right off the list are the names of the Eternal Champion, or the Gods of Chaos or other proper names. Think more in terms of an organization of people. An interesting non-heirarchical one would be fun for a while.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

As we're all sailing on the Sea of Fate somehow, how about

Sailor
    Mate
    Bosun
    Captain
    Commodore

and you guys are the admirality instead of administrators?

At least for some time until we all get seasick, aye?

L'Etranger
    (who doesn't really believe in ranking either)
    Google ergo sum

Comment

individual rank names would be nifty. canآ´t think of a good one at the moment.

but then, ranks arenآ´t that important anyway.

Comment

Immortal! Ah, how close was I? I thought when I reached 400 I would change rank. It seemed like a rank was awarded when you doubled the amount required for the previous one. Always a "Senior", reminds me of college, hehehe. Now I am "moderator". ( :lol: )

That's ok, moderator has its advantages and the rank was never too important to me either. I just feel bad when I pass Michael on that top 5 list - for some strange reason. I picture Michael sitting there, visiting the site each day and saying, "Damn you VonWeiner, damn you!" :lol: Ah well, he is writing stuff that will entertain millions and I am creating goofy code and computer widgets. I think his work is more important to us all, so it's ok. And he has written more than me in his lifetime, so maybe I am just playing catch-up. :lol:

I actually like the titles you have chosen, because they are academic in nature. Although, I may have changed "Immortal" to "Elder". All other rankings I can think of are from the military. And medieval rankings seem singular at the top (who else could be king when you reach this level?)

page
        squire
        knight
        lord
        king

Or maybe

page
        squire
        knight
        champion
        Lord

Maybe since the moderators have certain abilities you could call us immortals.
        Or you could put mine as "Freak" since I am always posting like one! :lol: (I am working on my computer all the time).
        When they had advanced together to meet on common
        ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
        and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
        each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
        mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
        killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I like Von Weiner's last suggestion. perhaps we could use:

super-freak
          freak
          weirdo
          strange
          oddball

just kidding...

how about:

Ipsissimus
          Necromancer
          Wizard
          Adept
          Neophyte
          \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

Yeah MJR! :lol:

I like the first list. I was trying to think of some psychological terms for varying levels of insanity (without being insulting).

Hey Jericho, give us some terms bro!

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Congrats to Von Weiner and Grey Mouser on becoming moderators (freaks :?: )!....if going by the freak-list.

I guess that would make me a weirdo?

I left out "Funky" as an option....
              \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

Great ideas, but they are gender biased. Since the system can't tell the difference between male and female posters, I can't even hax0r this to work.

Originally posted by VonWeiner
                page
                squire
                knight
                lord
                king

Or maybe

page
                squire
                knight
                champion
                Lord
                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Ah, that gender thing. True, true.

Well, I guess it'll have to be as MJR suggests,

super-freak
                  freak
                  weirdo
                  strange
                  oddball
                  :lol:
                  I'll keep the thinking cap on...

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Instead of Admiral, how about Navigator?

Originally posted by LEtranger
                    As we're all sailing on the Sea of Fate somehow, how about

Sailor
                    Mate
                    Bosun
                    Captain
                    Commodore

and you guys are the admirality instead of administrators?

At least for some time until we all get seasick, aye?

L'Etranger
                    (who doesn't really believe in ranking either)

Comment

how about Guide-Sensor... :lol:

No, but seriously, I like the Nautical ones. They sound good too.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

What about taking titles from different MM works?

Dreamthief

Sebastacrator, Pankypersebastos (can't recall which book those were from or if I spelled them correctly; I've read so many EC books lately, I'm getting the details mixed up). Note:I remember now. Those titles are from The City in the Autumn Stars

Demi-god

Immortal

Eternal Champion

Something along those lines.
                        WWED -- What Would Elric Do?

Comment

WWED :lol:

I actually helped develop a WWJD web-browser for this company I worked for. Your post made me laugh!

WWJD = What Would Jesus Do - for those of you who are wondering. I like What Would Elric Do better. :D

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

What was Bastable's rank? What would be the corresponding heirarchy?

Comment

Bastable was Captain, wasn't he? In the British Army. Three pips on his shoulders. But following that line would get us into a whole set of military ranks. Ranks shouldn't be so serious as army ranks seem like,
                              all of us trembling when facing Sergeant-Major VonWeiner (excuse, just an example, buddy-General, no harm meant, really, Sir!)

But some fancy and funny stuff could be nice with all sorts of exalted prefixes like
                              Amateur-
                              Deputy-
                              Bachelor
                              Right Honourable (or "Worthy")
                              Chief-Petty-
                              Arch-
                              Mega-
                              (in whatever order)

Or we could have theme months! One "Pirates"-month with my navy suggestions, then aristocrats, freaks, dinosaurs, hospital staff, yachts and ships (submarines for rare contributors?), clergy, hominides, chevaliers and musketeers etc.

Best regards
                              yours truly the Sub-semi-honourable-cromagnon L'Etranger[/i]
                              Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                              X