Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

some smilies not displaying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some smilies not displaying.

I'm just getting a red X for many of the smilies and images.

Is it just me who's getting this?

There are some issues with some smilies but all the ones on the right-hand side of the edit box (where you type your posts) should be working.

However there are some smilies (if you follow the More link) that don't work at the moment. Also, typing smilies in by hand - ie :) - may not display properly either.

The Site team are due to look into fixing/resolving the smilie issue quite soon.

We might even be adding some new ones.

Can you post what browser version you're using, btw please?
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Ah ok, I have been typing in the smily extensions by hand occasionally and using SOME of the smilies vie the MORE extension.

Browser IE version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp2

Meaning Version 6
      On Windows XP, service pack 2.

I have noticed attachments in general won't display as well.

I wonder if it's a directory authority problem (unless all your images are in the same directory).
      I run my own forum (using SMF) and most issues came down to authority problems to directories (occasionally due to mismatched code with themes etc).

Comment

To be honest, Reinart der Fuchs can best answer the directory question. He's co-ordinating the 'Let's Fix the Smilies Problem' project in any case. :).

(I've just noticed that smilies won't work if you use the 'Quick Reply' feature (as I'm doing now) because you don't get access to the graphical smilies.)

Concerning the 'More' smilies, there are three sections. All the smilies in the top (biggest) section ought to work (you can just click on them to add them to your post rather than writing out the 'long name'), but the ones in the second and third sections on the whole don't work afaik.
        Last edited by David Mosley; 09-13-2006, 03:16 AM.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I have noticed the image that don't work are in the
          http://www.multiverse.org/fora/images/smilies/

Directory
          and the one's that do are in
          http://www.multiverse.org/fora/image...verse_smilies/

Although I just picked a few at random.

Anyway, someone should try chmodding the first directory to 777 or 755 (depending on what your forum software prefers, if the security of your forum software is good, then 777 will be ok (I use it and I've had no probs).

Comment

I mostly use Safari, and only the first group would work, the second and third groups are just the blue square and question mark.

I just now found that with Firefox all smilies are fine.

Oh yeah, my hard drive sure spins like crazy when I have those smilies open for more than a minute or so!
            Last edited by Madrigal Rose; 09-13-2006, 06:22 AM.
            Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
            -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

I'll try it out with firefox when I get home.
              (At work ATM and I only have IE)

Comment

Check to see if your ad blocker is swatting them down. If you use a peronsal firewall, that may be smacking the images down as well.
                Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

OK well, at home, the same error appears in IE.

With firefox, there's no image reference at all, it's as if there's no reference to it at all.

I have a hardware firewall on my gateway, but that's it (no windows firewall, no software firewall).

I disabled the pop up blockers on IE and on Firefox with the same result.

Comment

Can you see avatars?

Anyone else experiencing this?
                    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Yes, Avatars are fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X