Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Recent Staff Additions

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Staff Additions

Dear Readers,

Please read the following news article regarding the recent staff additions:

[broken link]

Thank you
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 02:00 PM.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Sounds good Berry.

I asked Demian if he needed help with info and I am good at cultivating links so maybe I'll start some submissions. As you can see, I am always on my machine!

Site's turning out well. Nice when a site you've created is on the move eh?

Best of luck.

"VW"
    When they had advanced together to meet on common
    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

The old site was designed to the best of my ability and available time. I received offers of help over the years, but I had no way to actually avail myself of that help. It's a totally different story with portal. Those who can help can help almost immeadiately. This site requires a fraction of the time to manage, so now my time is used to greater effect. I didn't announce it, but I have changed portal's default search behaviour, patched the site against sql injection attacks and resolved numerous phpbb database inconsistencies.

I really dig how anyone can participate. You can lurk anonymously. You can lurk as a member. You can participate anonymously and you can be a member that participates. Last month we had 5200 total visitors. This week we already have 1500 visitors. That's unique visitors. A modest amount, but trending up as predicted.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

The jeanie is getting out of the bottle. Oh well, careful what you wish for :lol:

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

1500?

And what about those friendly adds?
          \\

Comment

What do you mean?

Comment

The ads are so friendly, they don't bother you. Look to the left side of the screen and see JaydeDesign. Great place with a simple, clean ad.

No pop-ups or interstertials. That would mean friendly to me. Didn't see where Berry talked about this though. Maybe I need to re-read...

:)

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

8O

[broken link]

Originally posted by VonWeiner
                No pop-ups or interstertials. That would mean friendly to me. Didn't see where Berry talked about this though.
                Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Ask and you shall recieve!

Thx Berry. :D

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Just registered at nukecops' site. Great stuff.

Might have to spend some time checking out their wares.

Think someone else asked about setting up his own site like this one. I might point him there.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I saw you mention that we could create our own 'pages' soon (I might as well, seeing all my posts!). When do you think you'll implement this? Also, I know you said don't ask until you post any 'positions' but I was wondering...
                      Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                      The editor of content will have to be a ruthless bastard
                      How ruthless do you want it?

Also, as far as getting weblinks, will the Links Editor just be looking at links submitted or ones posted in threads as well?

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I saw you mention that we could create our own 'pages' soon (I might as well, seeing all my posts!). When do you think you'll implement this?
                        A couple of hours ago. You could submit a content site at will. But it could be a while before I get it approved. I'm working on the classifieds modules at the moment. Next is the rescue of the Q&A.

Also, I know you said don't ask until you post any 'positions' but I was wondering...
                        Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                        The editor of content will have to be a ruthless bastard
                        How ruthless do you want it?
                        I've been considering that. Do we want to have people have their own web page or do we want people to focus on producing pages to enhance the site? It seemed clear when I wrote that article, but now I don't know which road to swing down. I think I want people to produce pages that I don't have time for, but what's wrong with a personal page? I need time to think on this. If it's going to be a free for all, then we probably don't need an editor. If we are going to restrict content, then the editor will be telling a lot of people to "try again" or "sorry". As ruthless as nuking a page on someone who won't return email.

Also, as far as getting weblinks, will the Links Editor just be looking at links submitted or ones posted in threads as well?
                        He's going to cull them from every source including the forum section.

Regarding portal and portals. Most of the authors and contributors are from Norway or The Netherlands. I always forget. The English is sorta broken from time to time and many posts originate from Spain and elsewhere. You'll discover that though it is GPL'd there is non-GPL behaviour afoot. But it's still free. Since most threads related to portal are in non search bot friendly strings, it's a nightmare finding lots of information. If there isn't a solution at Nukecops, there probably isn't a solution.

I'm going to go touch that other thread you referred to, right now.

Comment

As I mentioned to Berry, I'm busy right now, expecting a new baby any day. I've been working on a nursery, and got hit with a surprise bathroom re-model at the same time (discovered the greenboard, drywall, and wood behind the shower tile was all rotten). We're playing around with the basic format right now, and I expect that by March, I should have this thing rip roaring and ready to go, hopefully putting in some entries every week.

I am constantly checking the forums during the day at work (we've been reeeeeeeeeeal slow), and have a few ideas about who I would like to help me (honestly, it could be just about any of you, everyone here is great).

I'll keep you posted!

Comment

Working...
                          X