Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Changes to Thread Read Marking times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to Thread Read Marking times

I've implemented a small change in the forums to do with when Threads are marked as Read.

Previously, the site has used an Inactivity/Cookie Timeout method - that is, if you were logged into the forums but were inactive for a period (ie writing a REALLY long post) then when you became active again you might have noticed that you had no New Posts highlighted.

The new method is called Automatic Forum Marking; basically to mark a thread as Read you have to view the LAST New post in the thread. This is why you might see that some forums/threads you had previously read are now showing up as Unread. To clear a thread you can click on the 'Last Post' link to be taken to the most recent post, or to clear an entire forum you should use the Forum Tools option 'Mark This Forum Read'.

The new method means that even if you log-out from the site any unread posts/threads/forums will remain Unread when you log back in. However, it is more processor-intensive than the old way, so Berry will have to monitor our server performance to see whether there are any unwanted side-affects to the implementation. (We can always change back to the old method if there are.)

As always, this is the place to post any questions or comments about the change.
    Last edited by David Mosley; 08-25-2006, 12:30 AM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

I'll keep my eye on the performance, but I suspect the hit will be unnoticable. Thanks for this improvement.
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

ya, that's a pretty good deal. I noticed that before, that they would fade away if I was spending a long time reading or writing something.

very cool!

thanks,

-Lem'

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
      X