Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

e-mail attachments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-mail attachments

Can someone please tell me how to send an e-mail attachment that does not run all my words together?

I tried sending a text file in an e-mail,and I have the word wrap off, but it always shows up without the spaces I put in it.

The file looks fine when I open it up on my computer, but when I send it to myself even, the words and sentences all stick together and do not extend to the right margin like they are supposed to.

never did figure it out, I guess I need a better word program.

thanks,

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

I always attach Word documents with a .doc extension and they turn out fine, with both my webmail account and with-- Eudora (Yes, I am behind he times with my email programs. )

Comment

Lem', couple of questions:

a) what text editor are you using? (Word, Wordpad, Notepad, etc.)
      b) what email application do you use? (Outlook Express, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.)

Can you email me an example of the sort of thing you're having problems with?

Like Doc says, I send Word .DOC files by email without any problems of the sort you describe.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks, guys!

I am only using the online kaxy e-mail account right now.

On my old compuer, I did have Outlook Express.

I only have Notepad and Jarte right now. I was afraid that Jarte would not send at all since the file is not easy to open on the computer.

I will send an e-mail to you,David.

Thanks a bunch!

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Okay, I'm not familiar with Kaxy. It might be a quirk with the online service.

Here's the text attachment as I received it and opened it in Notepad:

Hello, I am testing this out. I wrote several lines like this. I continued to write the lines until I reached the end of the paper or near it.

Then, I skipped three spaces like this,so there would be a big gap between the sentence, then I wrote to the end of the margin here.

I repeated this the whole way through the text, but I have the feeling that,half of these three sentences are going to turn to six parts.

I will attach this in an e-mail to see if it all runs together again, I would like it to stay like it is, right now it is four sentences and equal.
          As you can see, the spacing between the words is fine, the four sentences are distinct and wrap at the end of the line.

All looks okay to me.

Except: In Wordpad all the sentences run together (word spacing is still fine):

Hello, I am testing this out. I wrote several lines like this. I continued to write the lines until I reached the end of the paper or near it. Then, I skipped three spaces like this,so there would be a big gap between the sentence, then I wrote to the end of the margin here. I repeated this the whole way through the text, but I have the feeling that,half of these three sentences are going to turn to six parts. I will attach this in an e-mail to see if it all runs together again, I would like it to stay like it is, right now it is four sentences and equal.
          However, Microsoft Word displays the sentences correctly:

Hello, I am testing this out. I wrote several lines like this. I continued to write the lines until I reached the end of the paper or near it.

Then, I skipped three spaces like this,so there would be a big gap between the sentence, then I wrote to the end of the margin here.

I repeated this the whole way through the text, but I have the feeling that,half of these three sentences are going to turn to six parts.

I will attach this in an e-mail to see if it all runs together again, I would like it to stay like it is, right now it is four sentences and equal.
          So, it looks like it could be a problem with Wordpad - except you don't have that you say.

It's a puzzler.
          Last edited by David Mosley; 08-08-2006, 05:14 PM.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
            Okay, I'm not familiar with Kaxy. It might be a quirk with the online service.

Here's the text attachment as I received it and opened it in Notepad:

As you can see, the spacing between the words is fine, the four sentences are distinct and wrap at the end of the line.

All looks okay to me.

Except: In Wordpad all the sentences run together (word spacing is still fine):

However, Microsoft Word displays the sentences correctly:

So, it looks like it could be a problem with Wordpad - except you don't have that you say.

It's a puzzler.

ahh ya,

thanks, David!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

weird, when I paste that here it looks how I want it to look.

my other attachment, the spaces are ok, but it looks like:

I am writing this part to be one line, but it wraps into
              three lines like this until it reaches the next paragraph
              where it repeats itself.

After the spaces,which it holds, them next paragraph looks
              like this. If only it would all stay in one straight line and not
              wrap like this,even if one word goes beneath, I don't think

it will suit my purpose. Oh well, no big deal, it is he way
              it is and it keeps looking like this, I am sure that you get
              the point. lol maybe I will put a smilely.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec

weird, when I paste that here it looks how I want it to look.

my other attachment, the spaces are ok, but it looks like:

I am writing this part to be one line, but it wraps into
                three lines like this until it reaches the next paragraph
                where it repeats itself.

After the spaces,which it holds, them next paragraph looks
                like this. If only it would all stay in one straight line and not
                wrap like this,even if one word goes beneath, I don't think

it will suit my purpose. Oh well, no big deal, it is he way
                it is and it keeps looking like this, I am sure that you get
                the point. lol maybe I will put a smilely.

David, do you think if I sent something that looked liked the above,

could someone, put it as it should be, then read it as one line at a

time? One line then a double space?

Thanks!

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Sometimes it is also a problem between the formatting of the text editor and the formatting of the e-mail. For example, I can cut and paste from a website into e-mail and if the e-mail is formatted for HTML, it will look exactly like what I cut and pasted. However, if the e-mail is formatted for "Rich Text" it will look different, as the HTML tags aren't necessarily being seen. Set the e-mail up to "Plain Text" and you get a Notepad sort of feel to everything.

So, perhaps you could tinker with the e-mail programs formatting options.
                  "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                  --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                    Sometimes it is also a problem between the formatting of the text editor and the formatting of the e-mail. For example, I can cut and paste from a website into e-mail and if the e-mail is formatted for HTML, it will look exactly like what I cut and pasted. However, if the e-mail is formatted for "Rich Text" it will look different, as the HTML tags aren't necessarily being seen. Set the e-mail up to "Plain Text" and you get a Notepad sort of feel to everything.

So, perhaps you could tinker with the e-mail programs formatting options.

Ah! Great Tip, PWV!

Thanks so much!

I will give that a try! :D

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                    X