Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Question/Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question/Suggestion

Not a bug, but I'm unsure where this may have been better placed.
    I don't frequent too many forums, (sorry, David, I'm not sure I like fora, whether it's good English or not ), so I'm not too sure about some abbreviations that may be commonly known.
    I was thinking it may be a good idea to post a glossary of commonly used MWM abbreviations. I automatically use IG for Image Gallery (perhaps that should be IH for Image Hive), but is this commonly understood? Likewise with EC for Eternal Champion, JC for Jerry Cornelius, etc.
    I've observed common practice is to shorten the names of novels/stories once they've been mentioned once or twice in a thread, but are there some that need explaining because this doesn't happen?
    Any feedback? I've noticed a lot of new names (some may be re-registered oldies, admitted) and it would be unfair to exclude them. I believe Herr Fuchs has said he wishes to avoid cliques and I think something like this could be unwittingly construed as contributing to the perception of one. (Does that make sense? )
    Anyway, whaddaya think.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Guv,

Would you mind creating and maintaining a glossary thread in the Welcome Centre? We'll sticky that.
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Both are functional. I get told both forums and fora are incorrect.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fora

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=forums

Should I sticky this you think?
      Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Its all down to preference then, and I prefer Forums.

I'll have a go at the glossary of abbreviations. I don't think there are that many, but I'll solicit submissions through the Limbo mail. Probably leave out ones that are used elsewhere, though. Yeah, we want the site to function as a reference centre but not for that.
        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I think I sent out an e-mail via the Limbo mail thing. Did anyone get it?

The trouble is I've got about four registered addresses with my provider and I forget to check I'm using the one which is registered, and it doesn't work otherwise.

I'll resend if it didn't work. Cheers.

Comment

Nothing from Limbo today, Guv. Sorry.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks, David, I'll try it again.

Comment

I didn't get anything, either.

Comment

Hi Guv, received you message via Limbo today.
                  "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Guv, I have a couple of Limbo emails from you (re. abbreviations) in my Inbox today.
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Little bit late to be answering here (just seen 'em) but thanks guys.

Waste of time sending 'em - no-one answered me.

Comment

Working...
                      X