Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

topic statute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• topic statute

When i read a topic or post a message, next time i come the statute of the topic is shown as new posts to read ?

Originally posted by Morgan Kane
    When i read a topic or post a message, next time i come the statute of the topic is shown as new posts to read ?
    That'll be true when you post. Can that be true if you read? Anyone else have the problem.
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

yes, the same happens here, but I don't mind it, I just look if I am listed as the last poster or click on it a second time to make it go away,haha. I have no complaints, I'm just reporting in.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

The way to fix this - if MK is describing what I've seen since MM came back - is that to clear the 'new topic' flag on a post you've read you need to click back through the fora hierarchy rather than go direct to the top level.

For example, if you read a thread in the Q&A, if you click on 'Miscellany' the Q&A forum will still show that thread as 'unread'. However, from the thread if you first click on 'Q&A' then the thread will be shown as 'read'. You can then click 'Miscellany' to continue on to other fora.

Incidentally, I've experienced the opposite of this. I went into the Q&A this evening for the first time since Saturday afternoon and saw lots of 'unread' threads. I started typing a long post for the 'Social Plumbing' thread, and by the time I posted it when I returned to the Q&A forum all the threads were marked 'read' - even though I hadn't read most of them. Similarly other threads in other fora are showing as 'read' when I haven't even been in them.

I will say that I've seen this effect in other forums so it's not necessarily a 'bug' in this one. Sometimes there's a 'Mark all threads read' option, but I'm pretty sure I didn't accidentally click on it this time here.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

This is unusual, but sounds like a methodology to me. There may be settings to tweak it, but I can't think of it at the moment. Just seems like the designers have implemented something that they feel should be the default behaviour.
          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

and this time, i use the method used by David Mosley, every sector is showing no new message unread, i levave the forum and when i come back some minutes later, every flag is showing unread, i check and these are the sames posts i red ......

Comment

What browser (and version) are you using, MK?
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Sorry, i don' t know what is a browser .... What i know is that i use Windows ..........

do y ou know why Windows is not a virus : because a virus is simple, cheap and efficient ....

Comment

Sorry, i don' t know what is a browser .... What i know is that i use Windows ..........
                  A browser is a web browser - what you're using to read this. Common types are Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc.

On the Toolbar at the top of this window click on Help:

Internet Explorer = File Edit View Favorites Tools Help
                  Firefox = File Edit View Go Bookmarks Tools Help

(Obviously mine's in English, your's might be in French.)

At the bottom of the Help 'drop-down' menu you'll see either:

About Internet Explorer, or
                  About Mozilla Firefox (depending what your browser is).

Click on that and you should get a 'pop-up' window which tells you which version you're using. I.e.:

Version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2, or
                  Version 1.5.0.4

My guess is if you're using Windows you're probably using Internet Explorer unless you've installed some rival software manually.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                    Incidentally, I've experienced the opposite of this. I went into the Q&A this evening for the first time since Saturday afternoon and saw lots of 'unread' threads. I started typing a long post for the 'Social Plumbing' thread, and by the time I posted it when I returned to the Q&A forum all the threads were marked 'read' - even though I hadn't read most of them. Similarly other threads in other fora are showing as 'read' when I haven't even been in them.
                    This has just started to happen to me. I have no idea why, as I haven't changed anything. It's incredibly annoying.

Comment

I am using internet explorer : Version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2 and many things after ....

Thank you and sorry to be late to answer ....

Comment

Okay, the answer to this problem is that it's a browser effect. What's happening when you go 'Back' - either by pressing the 'Back' arrow icon on your browser or click on a 'parent' breadcrumb the browser just reloads the page from its cache - it doesn't actually refresh the page.

You can prove this by pressing F5 and reload the page from the server instead of your cache. Any threads which you have read but are still showing as 'unread' will instead show correctly.

As far as I know, there's no way around this since it's to do with the browser rather than the vbulletin software. That said, I don't seem to experience the same thing on other vbulletin forums I visit, so I'll keep looking into this.

Comment

Thanks you very much for your efforts .......

Comment

Or, maybe not. I've done some more testing and it seems that while what I said above does work in some case it doesn't work in all.

Back to the drawing-board.

Comment

If it may help you ( not a reclamation but an observation) :

most of the time :

when i open a topic, if i make a manipulation ( to page x or to first post unread ) and close it by clicking on the name of the sub forum and if before quitting i click on mark forums as read .... ( or something like that ) and if i close by unlogging, i escape the problem ......

Comment

Working...
                              X