Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Are you sure about the new format?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you sure about the new format?

Sorry to be the ludite,but I feel that the multiverse has lost something.I used to like the intimacy of the old site, this new look is cold, diffused, and just damb confusing. To little spread to thinly.
    Where have all the stimulating debates gone?where's the passion? and above all, where has the bus driver bloke from croydon gone?
    Richard Eldritch

I have to disagree! I love this site.

There- we got a debate now!!! You can't ever accuse us Americans of not wanting a good fight :lol:

Anyway, look at the current affairs thread, or any of the numerous LOTR threads for some damn fine debates. Hopefully you will come and hang with us more often.

Comment

Haha

I was going to point them to the Current Affairs thread too. It got ugly there for a post or two.

Comment

At first I was confused by the interface too. But you have to admit that the Q&A is finally, and always, one click away. It is light on graphics for our friends in Europe who have expensive download times. You can easily read this at work and get away with it (and yes, we have identified our slackers). You can have a membership where you can change preferences and have them stick. Your private information is no longer public. There are no more broken links or dead ends. You can send pages to your friends. You can get a "Printer Friendly" version of every page.

Regarding being stretched too thin: I haven't finished porting all the media I have over. Besides, reader based content is one of the new goals for this site. You can submit comments, participate in polls, contribute your own literature and we have plenty of links leading to very stimulating media. The debates are lively and relevant.

Don't let the unfamiliarity of the site put you off. You'll get addicted to the new features rapidly. The site is finally, really a publication, instead of the broken and wholly personal interpretation of Mr. Moorcock's work. It's now one that focuses on your experience instead of mine.

We have received many votes of confidence and I have received many thanks for the changes. But I do feel a pang of absence when someone mentions that they miss the old one. I miss it too, but it had to go. Too many publishers, editors, writers and readers were reporting that the old one was just too complex to deal with. Multiverse.org was very "Eternal Champion" centric. The new site is now Michael Moorcock centric, a situation that appeals to a broader audience. Since many people are familiar with portals, this site is greeted with a sense of familiarity. The old site, while fomenting the community was degrading to the quality of Mr. Moorcock's intellectual property.

Now for the personal reasons. I want to be taken seriously as a writer and digital publisher. This digital publication is a way for me to strut my stuff. I want to send publishers and editors to this site and hope that they will say, "That's a nifty piece of work." The content management system has given me the chance to do weeks of work within a matter of hours. The old version of the site had me writing from scratch everything and was difficult for me to manage. I get up at 6:30 every morning and spend a few minutes and I spend a few minutes every night, revising text, correcting spelling errors and grammatical problems, all tasks I couldn't handle until now. I can manage the site from any location in the world if a browser is available. In the past I could only work from my computer at home.

I also want to have a publication that readers will remember and admire. I want it to be a stub for future research on the concepts, ideas and facts about Mr. Moorcock and related writers. The knowledge we can gain about the history of S&S and imaginative fiction are all over these threads. And when I have ported the Q&A to this site, we'll have like a 5 year long, non-linear history lesson. It's all source! The magazine history alone is priceless.

I empathize with readers who yearn for a return. One day I hope you'll come to appreciate the absolutely intense amount of data this site will accumulate, knowing that you have the opportunity for the first since multiverse.org's inception to add your input to the collective without my interference or delays. I assume I am forgiven if I sometimes pop on for a rant or two. :lol:
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Hey Berry

From one web-phreak to another, I like the clean look. Never saw the old site but this one is easy to understand, loads quick, simple navigation and plenty of space for future content.

And the B&W pic of Michael, pondering something is a nice touch (he may have been looking at the special at the nearby diner!) :lol:

Good job you stay at home Dad!
          When they had advanced together to meet on common
          ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
          and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
          each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
          mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
          killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

It was Liver and Onions. The liver was a bit overdone, but it was pretty good for the local diner. :lol:
            Yes, I find this site a lot more flexible and easier to use. It means readers can easily communicate between themselves as well as with me, whereas the old site really mean they could only address me and refer to other readers. I try to keep the Q&A up to date and apologise if sometimes I'm distracted by a deadline or whatever but I don't visit the
            Forum that often, believing that it's where readers should air their views unbothered by whether I'm 'listening' or not. That way a reader who might think it rude to say he thought a story was crap, for instance, needn't worry that I'm going to be upset! Not that I usually am upset by reasoned or polite dissent.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I knew the old site... and THAT was confusing to me... I never posted anything there because I really didn't understand what was going on...

The PHP nuke site helps a lot because (in the surface) all PHP nuke's sites are the same... Seen one, understand all.
              \\

Comment

Ewwww

Liver & onions. I'd have to see the pic after eating them. :lol:

Glad that you are busy. I suppose as a writer it would be bad if you weren't.

It's nice that you have time to respond at all.
                When they had advanced together to meet on common
                ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I think the new format is great, very user friendly. As Lordmarioh says it's a commonly used interface that net-travellers can feel at home with. The old QA was kind of cosy though. Even though I never participated there I do miss it.

Comment

I wondered if Berry or someone else here who knows what to do could tell me how I set up a BB site like this? Where do you get the software? How do you set it up? Can the computer still be used for other applications or does it have to be a dedicated server etc?

Many thanks in advance

Comment

The portal is a portal. We are using portal 6.9. portal 7.0 is release (or about to be), 7.1 is in beta and 7.2 is in alpha. Getting the help you'll need for 7.x will be more diffiuclt at first than for 6.x. But in a few months 7.x should be as well documented as 6.x. portal.

The BB is a good portal. It was manually integrated into portal via a number of porting scripts. There is a stand alone version of phpbb that makes a great site if bbing is all you want to do. phpbb.com, I think.

MWM is hosted by pehosting.com, which provides everyting you need and is on dedicated shared servers. You could do it yourself on your own server. You could probably host it on your PC on a cable modem, but I have never done it before and have no idea how to overcome the associated pitfalls (DNS).

If I were to start again I would install portal 7.x.

Regarding setting it up: RTFM. Your situation is likely to be different than mine, so that will impact how you install it. You'll have to rely on the nuke community for detailed support. In all likelihood, someone has already encountered whatever problem you encounter.

I'm available @ $45/hour for remote installs. Half up front.

Originally posted by Tales from Tanelorn
                      I wondered if Berry or someone else here who knows what to do could tell me how I set up a BB site like this? Where do you get the software? How do you set it up? Can the computer still be used for other applications or does it have to be a dedicated server etc?

Many thanks in advance
                      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Berry, I just want to set up a board like this Q&A so I believe that I just need phpbb2.06?

One last quick question... I am not sure what the portal package is for. Does it allow you to create a portal using your own pc which is permanently connected via cable internet or does the portal need to be uploaded to a web hosting site such as free pro hosting even though I understand it already supports PHP?

Thanks again
                        TfT

Comment

You only need phpbb.

You can host it on a PC that has a web server, php and mysql installed. It should be connected to The Internet 24/7.

OR

You can use and ISP that provides a web server, php and mysql.

OR

You can set up a server that has a web server, php and mysql installed and the server must be hosted by an ISP.

If you only want phpbb, don't concern yourself with portal. It provides the portal.

Comment

Working...
                          X