Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

MM Upgrade Rollback: You may have noticed missing posts

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM Upgrade Rollback: You may have noticed missing posts

I upgraded MM to a newer version of our portal. There were so many problems (one of which was the noticable spam problem) I have un-upgraded MM (we call that rolling back). It's an embarrasment to have to reveal to you that an upgrade occurred (good upgrades have been transparent ;-)) and is especially galling because I have to report that we have lost the last 24 hours of data (your posts). So if you notice that a thread is gone, or a post is gone you can assume it was reclaimed by The Grey Fees. We can be glad that a) I had the presence of mind to back EVERYTHING up b) Our backups weren't corrupted c) I didn't botch our restoration.

It seems to me that The Singularity has our Chaos Engineers in a momentary stasis. waah
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

no problem Berry,

I enjoy the site and it was such a minor thing to me as a reader.

Thanks to you and all the chaos engineers. :D

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Heh, I didn't notice anything :D

Comment

Just to say, not everyone's avatar is showing up on my screen... I know we've had this problem before, and it doesn't effect everyone, but I just thought I'd mention it. :|
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I feel like court-martialled! Two or three of my extremely important postings were removed, my grandchildren (if I ever have any) will be bereft of an opportunity to appreciate their grandfather's gigantic wit!
          Also I'm back to 1312 posts! Where can I appeal? Can I call in the UN General Assembly?
          Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger
            Also I'm back to 1312 posts!
            Technically of course, LE, you were back to 1311 posts. It only became 1312 after you posted the above message. :)

<removes pedant hat>

But you're absolutely right. I did in fact post the Greatest S&S Short Story In The World in the Enclave just mere moments before the Rollback* happened and now it is gone forever, entirely unseen by mortal eyes (and LSN's).

This is not the Greatest S&S Short Story In The World.

This is just a Tribute.

;)

*Henceforth to be known as the Great Rollback of '05. Let us never speak of it again.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by demos99

*Henceforth to be known as the Great Rollback of '05. Let us never speak of it again.
              It leaves one with that awkward feeling that Germans are supposed to have when Brits suddenly whisper to each other: "Don't mention the war!" , doesn't it?
              Google ergo sum

Comment

Aha. I thought that was a long fifteen minutes. Luckily, I was out at the hospital most of the day. I went to the wound care clinic at St David's only to find it moved and very difficult to reach. The hospital has been expanded and whoever planned it didn't think of putting the plans on a VR programme or even physically trying to walk the corridors before they were finished. I've noticed how cosmetic 'improvements' go hand in hand with additional ways of controlling patients. There are now more bureaucrats involved, a prettied up waiting room which stops any direct contact with staff (the less said about most of them the better, but suffice to say they seem better at grinning than caring). I've seen a bunch of highly skilled technicians all leave to be replaced by far less competent people. I feel sorry for the doctors. One of these told me his wife had been in hospital in Houston for two days. She was diagnosed and happily doesn't have cancer. Cost of two days there -- $27,000. What's more, the doctors supposed to give her the final check were late turning up so she didn't get to leave when they said she would. Result -- $387 charge for -- get this -- 'late check out' (as in a motel). And Americans think they have 'the best health care service in the world'. Ho, ho, ho.
                They have the most expensive, most cynical system. Maybe that's what 'best' means in corporate speak, these days.
                So, don't worry Berry. Any minor glitches in MWM not only went largely unnoticed by me, but are As Nothing compared to the great raft of irritation and incompetence I experienced yesterday.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I sympathise, Mike. It's no better in the UK. Last year I got half a broken wine glass embedded in the left buttock (don't ask) and had to wait for SIX hours before a nurse wondered over, slapped on a band aid, and told me I was lucky not to have bled to death. A further TWELVE hours passed before I was x-rayed, the glass removed and the cut glued up.

I hear Cuba's healthcare system is excellent.
                  --- Sexton Blake ---
                  "If there is a wrong to be righted, an evil to be redressed, or a rescue of the weak and the suffering from the powerful, our hearty assistance can be readily obtained."

Comment

I wonder if Cubans are told if they don't like it there to go to America.
                    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Phew! I was wondering if I had gone mad there... Goodness, that was strange. I wasn't sure because I usually do have the experience where I think I've done something but I really haven't.

Comment

My sympathies, Sexton. Mind you, I bet you didn't have to pay what I'd have had to pay here for exactly the same treatment!
                        I know what you mean, Hawklord. I just clicked on a link and was told this thread didn't exist... Phil Dick World ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Berry, Mike, Sexton-

No sympathy! :P

I spent the last week installing a second computer and "upgrading" to a wireless router system. I'm still being asked to debug something every time I click on a link. As for medical hooey, having been on the provider side I must say something. Nurses ain't architects! If we were, the patients would be more comfortable and the coffee pot would be handy. (And the story about wine glass shards in the gluteus oh-so-very maximus would circulate quickly.) (Oh yeah - that already happened.)

Seriously - Berry, the upgrade and rollback worked fine. (I had to roll back a video driver that had been "improved" -Aaaagh!) Mike, sorry about more hospital hassle. Sexton, hope you're sitting comfortably now.

I love computers. They "save us so much time", y'know.
                          Miqque
                          ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

I know I labour this point again and again and again...but if a poor puss-puss or doglet came in to a UK (or US) Vet with half a glass of Merlot shoved in its jacksy, and it took the vet longer than twenty minutes to attend to it, said vet would stand a very good chance of being struck off the register.
                            Reassuring. Eh? :|

Comment

Is it illegal to impersonate an animal over there? Anyone available to test this?

Comment

Working...
                              X