Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's consider whether or not we should increase the weight and size of our avatars. The system is working fine, and I feel that we can safely increase the weight and size of our avatars.

Rate this idea in the poll.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Berry, what does "weight" for an avatar mean? I get the size part, but weight?? *blush*

Comment

Amount of kilobytes.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

How about avatars done in Flash? :D

Or Shockwave
        \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

Not out of conservatism ... I'm sceptical, because I find there's often more challenge to creativity if there ARE limitations. If you allowed just a little bit more "weight" , I'd be happy though.. . as everybody nigh his/her fifties will understand
          Google ergo sum

Comment

Don't think I'll be changing my avatar anytime soon, but if other people want 'beefier' avatars, who am I to stand in the way of progress. :)

Voted 'I don't care', but it's more 'I'm not bothered' really.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I voted 'Why Change?' the avatar size and weight is fine.

I dislike forums that have huge avatars which take ages to load and I agree with L'Etranger about the creative challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by M-A_19
                How about avatars done in Flash? :D

Or Shockwave
                It would be great, but this portal doesn't allow for the uploading of that file format for the avatar, as far as I know.

Comment

In my mind this is just the size and weight that avatars should be (this is my first forum really), but obviously I'd enjoy playing with whatever space we're allotted... um... I don't think I'd want them much bigger though... maybe taller, so that they fill up the box by the message a little more, but I'm certainly not desperate for a change.

I vote "why change", in the sense that if there's a good reason for changing, I'd mull it over, but I don't think it's "broke" as such.
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Having about 185 pixels high by about 128 pixels wide would make for a drastic increase in workable area without being overpowering. Though for the sake of people with dialup, I wouldn't allow more than 50 kb "weight"
                    Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

As a new member I just put up my avatar today. I would love to had it bigger, as it is I had shrink it and to take away the text. "Kidnero looked up in every direction, but all he could see was a dark blue and red sky!"

So, I took the first alternative. As it's only 2 kb, bigger size would still have kept it "thin".

Comment

I'll roll with whatever happens here. Avatar isn't that important to me, but if something changes that is user-friendly I'll probably go for it.

Comment

I finally messed around and made a new avatar. Not too keen on increasing size (side-scrolling, y'know) but a bit more density might be nice.

Even with new avatar, it didn't make me look any better. :oops:
                          Miqque
                          ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Working...
                          X