Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Attention Image Gallery Chaos Engineers: PDF Madness!!!!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Image Gallery Chaos Engineers: PDF Madness!!!!!!!

We have a contributor who can deliver to us many rare and tasty treats. Short list to follow. Our contributor can scan, but due to limitations of the software, the resulting scan is crapped out as a PDF. To further complicate matters, alternate software cannot be installed to circumvent the problem.

We can't upload PDFs into the image gallery.

So, the challenge is to get the images out of the PDF and into the Gallery somehow.

The brainstorming begins... NOW!
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Re: Attention Image Gallery Chaos Engineers: PDF Madness!!!

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    We have a contributor who can deliver to us many rare and tasty treats. Short list to follow. Our contributor can scan, but due to limitations of the software, the resulting scan is crapped out as a PDF. To further complicate matters, alternate software cannot be installed to circumvent the problem.

We can't upload PDFs into the image gallery.

So, the challenge is to get the images out of the PDF and into the Gallery somehow.

The brainstorming begins... NOW!
    My suggestion is to open the pdf file, then click into the image and press "print" on your key bopard which is a sort of image-grabbing function. Then insert it into whatever graphic programme you have on your pc, even "Paint" will do. Cut the edges as convenient and the save as .jpg.

Good?
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Paint Shop Pro 8 can open PDFs and save as JPGs or GIFs.

I could do it for you, if you want.

Comment

I don't have time at the moment. Anyone here interested in testing that for us?
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Typhoid_Mary
          Paint Shop Pro 8 can open PDFs and save as JPGs or GIFs.

I could do it for you, if you want.
          Okay. I'll send one your way for a test, as soon as I get one of the contributions.

Comment

I can convert some too, Berry, if there are a lot of them.
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I have PSP8 as well. You can send one my way if you like.
              Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                I can convert some too, Berry, if there are a lot of them.
                This will be a trickle, so no need. Thanks. Typhoid Mary's got this one guys.

Comment

GPL'd program that can extract jpeg from pdf: http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmid...extractor.html, I am pretty sure that this one does not require any Adobe runtime libraries. It does need a Java runtime environment.

I also seem to remember using acrobat reader to extract embedded jpegs at one point, but I don't recall the details. Try poking around at the buttons/menus in Acrobat reader, you might find something there.

Comment

That's a sweet util. Alas, these particular PDFs don't have embedded jpgs it seems.

Comment

I'd recommend Screen Grab Pro to the contributor who has all these tasty images - and, indeed, to anyone else. It's a piece of no-nag freeware (just search on it) that will, among other things, allow you to draw a box around any section of a .pdf page and save it as a .jpg (you have to add the suffix to the filename, which I usually forget to do...), all in three or four clicks and seemingly needing nothing except itself. Of course, it's just as easy to convert whole .pdf files if you don't mind doing it a page at a time - '.pdf' slideshows, anyone?

Comment

Working...
                      X