Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

IMPENDING SHUTDOWN - Forum may be closed short term

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPENDING SHUTDOWN - Forum may be closed short term

As some of you already know, the forum and the website's database is damaged. phpwebhosting.com has chosen to kick us off their servers at the time our database is partially broken. This is causing an amount of frustration, though I have already found a solution. Chris Handy has put me in touch with a new web host that can supply us with all we have and more. What is left then is to move what we have here to where we are going to be. Here is the challenge.

The current web host is generally unresponsive. I have to use a web page to communicate with them and it takes roughly 24 hours or more for them to respond. Once the new web host has been set up, I'll move the files over, but I have to deal with a broken database. The tools for the repair is in their hands. Since I cannot predict when they will fulfill my work request, I must lock down the forum here for an unknown duration of time. I predict that some time during the next 5 days the forum will be locked down for about 48 hours. I wish I could give you all more definite scheduling, but it isn't possible.

You will notice a "Sorry this module unavailable" message when the site is locked. You'll know we are back up when that message is no longer present.

Thanks for understanding and see you at the new Web Host.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

We are all full of understanding. You're doing your best, I'm sure.

But who will be held accountable for various pregnancies that will be the consequence of several hours of MWM outage?
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Any other problems, then you could consider getting in touch with the provider I use, they're v.good.

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger
        We are all full of understanding. You're doing your best, I'm sure.

But who will be held accountable for various pregnancies that will be the consequence of several hours of MWM outage?
        :-) No one's chances are likely to improve: http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/blackout.htm

I bet some chores are waiting for you first. :-)
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
          I bet some chores are waiting for you first. :-)
          Like taking the garbage down ...?
          Google ergo sum

Comment

Good luck.
            Arma virumque cano.

Comment

8O But, where will I go? What will I do?

Does this mean I'm going to have to go out and talk to women over coffee now? Poor things. You really haven't taken the feelings of the women of Dorset in to consideration at all, have you?

Seriously though, I don't envy you at all... and if you tried to explain what you were going to do in even the most basic terms my eyes would glaze over and I would start to dribble (which is exactly the sort of response I expect from the women of Dorset, oddly enough) so all I can do is salute your continuing efforts and hope this transfer is looked upon favourably by the angels. :D
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Dee, you crack me up. I think you missed your calling as a comedian. Went with the greater talent, I guess, huh?
                "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

We're doing the inexpensive/free thing now. :( I did the expensive thing too. Both are fraught with "events" that have to be tended too. I don't mind the work. I do mind the people not giving me the service I'm paying for. I believe one day we'll get the best of all possibilities, something inexpensive that is powerful and reliable like the expensive way. I just can't predict when that will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                    Dee, you crack me up. I think you missed your calling as a comedian. Went with the greater talent, I guess, huh?
                    Well, drawing in my room tends to attract far fewer heckling jocks than the stand-up routine did.... I think fear made the decision for me, but I appreciate the compliment! :)

Then again, stand-up is a really good way of flirting with an entire room, although I never tried that angle myself. If any Comedy Clubs mysteriously open in town over the 48 hour hiatus, I might well launch a parallel career.

And I have to agree with Berry... if a service is free/cheap and it breaks down, at least you haven't been conned. It would be much worse if you put up a lot of money and then discovered you couldn't contact the sneaky people who were supposed to be at your disposal.
                    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Go to it.. No more clogging the site with unwanted stringed search engines and what-not..

Comment

I'm pretty bad at making reccommendations about how people should proceed with their training. Believe me when I say, I feel like a Chaos Engineer. I have a tendency to let the technology, circumstances, natural curiousity and current imperitives lead me to learning the things that make the most sense at the time. This has lead to a very useful set of skills that apply in varied environments. Any computer problem I encounter usually has a tangential experience I can draw on. So far I've learned to be very flexible and focused. So instead of telling you what you should learn, how about I tell you what I've learned. You may find some wisdom that is useful to you.

Operating Systems: I can use MAC, Linux, Unix, FreeBSD, and all variants of Windows. The key to problem solving is familiarity with operating systems.

Internet Technologies: FTP, SSH, SSL, web servers, databases, understanding how protocols function, borwsers, HTML, PHP, SQL and many other tangential concepts and technology. These are all dependent upon one another as well tethered to the Operating System. My speciality is using Linux to make web applications work.

Project and Time Management: These things take time and planning. I'm not very good at it, but I've learned that I have to learn more. This allows you to set expectations for clients that can be modified as you go along. But customers don't like the answer "I don't know." to any question they ask.

General Technical Knowledge: Matery of search engines, Google in particular, is a must. Exposure to 100's of different software programs, including games, strong typing skills, comprehending error messages, trouble shooting skills.

Do I get the job?

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                          We're doing the inexpensive/free thing now...
                          I bet I know what you dream about, Berry...

THIS
                          "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                          --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

8)

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                              Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                              Well, drawing in my room tends to attract far fewer heckling jocks than the stand-up routine did....
                              Ahem... :roll:

think this server would be a better choice

Good luck Berry, seems like a mammoth task ahead...

Comment

Working...
                              X