Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

I think I killed the Fleetway Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I killed the Fleetway Thread

I'm really sorry. I posted in the thread, and the system made a triple-post... I went to delete one of them, but it wouldn't let me, and now the entire thread seems to have disappeared. I'm really sorry about that. It seems sarcastic to use a "crying" smiley, because I really am very annoyed at myself.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

I wouldn't feel too guilty, if I were you, Duncan. My "Iraqi elections" thread has also disappeared, and the latest (non-existent) "political pressures" post is dated "Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am"(!)

Berry?
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I don't know what happened. I can't fix it. Farewell Fleetway thread. Perhaps someone could start another. This web host is starting to look flaky.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

An educated guess: the data base is corrupted to some degree. The "Jan 01 1970" date is "the epoque," which is to say, the date was zeroed out.

If you have a data base verification and repair/recovery tool that can check for and fix common corruption, you might need to shut down the db server and run it.

The corruption might have been localised, whereupon the disappearance of the thread could have extirpated the problem in most draconian fashion. It might be spreading slowly through the DB. Impossible to say since I don't know the details of the underlying toolset you're using.

This occurrance would, at the very least, make me a bit uneasy if I were burdened with the administration. Thank goodness I'm not!

LSN

Comment

Then again, it could just have been devoured by the Original Insect. I'm feeding a 60/40 blend of Leadbelly and Webern directly into the Second Ether as we speak, but the situation is probably irretrievable. X/#~ %^^@ (X)! Farp my effing quills!

Comment

I double posted to the Iraqi elections poll and it refused to let me delete the post. This was apparently right before it blew up.

I don't know if that means anything, or if it's helpful.

If not, I succeeded in lengthening this thread :)

Comment

Dee,

It's not your fault. I did my best to prove that it was all your fault, but I failed. I wanted to pin it on you. I tried to make it look VERY incriminating, but alas, the link below reveals that, indeed, it was not your fault. My only regret in this is that you may feel relieved and we all know you don't deserve that. So, we're all agreed to blame you for the rain instead. That's definitely your fault, you bastard.

[broken link]
              Last edited by Rothgo; 04-22-2010, 08:15 AM.
              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Another strange little problem I'm sure we could blame on Dee is that when setting up a poll it cuts off the last option. I had to get round this by adding a blank one. This has happened before - I had intended to put up a poll about the Krankies - but decided against it in the interest of morals and public decency!
                \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Dee, can I appeal to what little decency is left in you. Please, please, don't make it rain for the next couple of days, at least not in Lost Pines, Texas. I've just started walking again. I can't believe anyone would be so mean as to stop my foot from healing. Still, if it does rain and my foot doesn't heal, we'll all know who to blame...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

The truth comes out: Dee, like Barry Malzberg's Scop, has a time machine and has been present at a series of "unfortunate events" where his level of personal involvement is at this time undetermined, but there are suspicions...

That really was Dee on the grassy knoll!

LSN

Comment

Okay, okay... I admit it.

I've been hiding the sun for the last couple of months, and I do make it rain sometimes when I'm watching a sad movie. I was driving the car that tragic night in Paris, and I hung the chads in Florida. I bugged Martin Luther King's hotel room, and I bought all of those copies of Bryan Adam's (Everything I Do) I Do It For You. I heated the spoon for Sid, and Elvis charged his deep fried peaunt-butter treats to my personal account. I put that thorny crown upon His head, and I was peddling the pedalos that towed the iceberg that sank the Titanic.

But worse, much worse, than all of this... I started Chaosium. :twisted:

Comment

How clever of me to forget to log in before posting my confession... and I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those pesky kids!

PS. Is it also my fault that the "feedback" thread in the Dense Interview section is locked? :(

Comment

Yes. That's your fault too. But I unlocked it any way.

Comment

I was told that I was the man on the grassy knoll!

Comment

But who was the man on the gnarly grass? :?

Comment

Working...
                              X