Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Recent Outage

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Outage

Sorry people. A misunderstanding at the ISP in what I wanted to set up led to the undoing of MWM. That's what I get for submitting requests while I"m riding a bus. Bet you missed us while we were gone! :lol:
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Ah, thanks Berry. Whatever change you requested seems to have the site running very smoothly now. :)

Comment

I did wonder. A 404 message can be a bit unnerving. :)

Comment

Originally posted by AndroMan
        I did wonder. A 404 message can be a bit unnerving. :)
        ... and a 404 was also a somewhat ugly but pretty rugged Peugeot.
        Google ergo sum

Comment

I liked that you (Berry) put up a short message while you were taking care of the problem. That's a lot better than just a 404.
          You can't spell "politically correct" without "correct".

Comment

Originally posted by Rymdolov
            I liked that you (Berry) put up a short message while you were taking care of the problem. That's a lot better than just a 404.
            Second that. Seeing a short text message beginning with "Berry here," was quite comforting. Very thoughtful of you.
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

No problem!
              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I agree. I've actually bookmarked the forums, so I go straight to them and the 404 was quite disturbing... but then I checked the main page and there was a line from Mr S and I realised that all was not lost! Very much appreciated. :)
                "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I also agree to the above sentiments, but also have to add that the site has been running very slowly today (for me).

It took about 2 minutes for one of my messages to post, which is quite long, and I failed to connect to the site at all on more than one occasion.

Didn't want to start a new topic about this, as this one was already open, and kinda related.

Sorry to be pain.

:roll:

H.
                  Hapimeses.com

Comment

I'm still getting a lot of Website not available messages, which has resulted in a few double postings by me. I've weeded them out as much as possible. At this moment I have a message going through (I hope).
                    I'm answering this one in the hope that the other one will work!
                    Maybe it has something to do with normal traffic, but it's not easy.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

This Topic is quickly becoming the 'I have a problem' Topic - which of course means, as I'm posting here again, that I have another.

;)

So, to my problem:

I often find that when I hit 'Submit', the Board submits the post, but leaves me on the 'Post a reply' screen.

The only reason I've noticed this is because I caught a reply I was tring to post in the 'Topic review' window, even though the Board claimed I'd posted nothing.

Very odd, and I'm sure it is responsible, if this bug is happening to others, for many of the double posts.

Sorry for being a pain, again.

;)

H.
                      Hapimeses.com

Comment

I can't remember in which post I said this, but I have the feeling the server we are on is getting overloaded by number of customers the Web Host has chosen to put onto the computer we share. Analogy time:

As more people get into the pool, the more difficult it is for you to swim laps.

If my hunch is correct, there is nothing that I can to do to change the situation. I am considering something drastic that might change things marginally, that is for me to archive a good chunk of the Forum section (Q&A). This will relax the load on the database. Every time you chose to read a thread, the database has to cruise through around 30,000 messages to present you with the thread you want to read. Analogy time:

It's faster to find an ace of spades in a 4 card deck than in a 52 card deck.

For a more technical breakdown of this problem read on:

Code:
                        blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 

blah

Comment

Heh!

Rather you than me - when I archived the stuff in my database for a Forum far smaller than this, I almost cried it took so long (just trying to make it an easier mountain to climb ;)).

Have you considered that your Host may be the problem? Or, indeed, if you contact them, they may have a solution? I had a similar problem when I was writing stuff for a roleplay game that suddenly became very popular - everybody decided my site, and Forums, were somewhere to visit (everything, fortunately, has returned to dusty, windswept plains, populated by my friends and the occasional tumbleweed). My Forums almost slowed to a stop. When I contacted my Host he had two solutions: 1) I should update the coding of the phpBB I was using to the newest version (which helped loads); 2) I should change my hosting plan (which appeared to have helped too).

Your Forums are not the largest I have visited, but they certainly are, at times, the slowest.

I'm willing to wait a few minutes though, I have patience.

:D

H.
                          Hapimeses.com

Comment

This is p.h.p.n.u.k.e with a hacked in version of p.h.p.b.b, and so the optimizations in the latter are generally not ported to the former. An upgrade isn't always an upgrade with the former as well.

Spending more cash really isn't an option. This is certainly a customer load issue thought you may be right about the p.h.p.b.b issue.

Comment

I've had quite a bit of trouble posting, still. Lots of Website Unavailable messages. I've learned how to get around that, mostly, without losing the posting, but I thought I'd report it in case it means something. Me, I'm completely computer illiterate and view with awe and wonder the miracles Berry and Co can perform.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                              X