Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

22% of our traffic was coming from

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitsune
    replied
    And I thought it was just the stupid firewall at work. I have to load most pages multiple times, including ones I need for work reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    database = damaged

Leave a comment:

• Pellaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    Originally posted by Pellaz
    Right now the site reports:
    "There are currently, 42 guest(s) and 5 member(s) that are online."

So it doesn't seem like the site should be that slooooooowwww......
    For me, the problem has generally resolved. My logs don't show further spidering occuring. Comcast has become our first place bandwidth consumer at 7% of all traffic.

Maybe your ISP is doing something at night that zaps it's performance.
    Hmmm, doesn't seem like it. I'll frequently open another window and browse elsewhere during the sllloowwww page-loads here, and other sites respond fine with no major delays -- 3Mbps sometimes, and approaching 4Mbps (their current download limit) from realllly fast sites. I'm on Comcast, so I guess I'm one of those 7%. :)

Edit: tonight the site is refreshingly fast, BTW. Huzzah!

Leave a comment:

• Krimson
    replied
    You might want to keep an eye for anything from 66.249.*.* (Googlebot) or 207.46.*.* (msn.bot). I found these two bots were slowing down a forum I admin quite considerably. If you go to the admin index in the control panel, and scroll to the bottom, it should tell you how many threads a given IP is scanning. Googlebot and msn.bot can be pretty insidious.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Originally posted by Pellaz

For me, the problem has generally resolved. My logs don't show further spidering occuring. Comcast has become our first place bandwidth consumer at 7% of all traffic.

Maybe your ISP is doing something at night that zaps it's performance. hmmmm

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
    According to my dictionary the original meaning of the phrase 'cock-up' is a typographical one to refer to an intial letter that is taller than another one (as in I suppose the M in Mr?). Somehow it's become a slang for a mistake in the UK.
    Interesting - I've always thought the phrase is a bit of a misnomer, as a 'cock up' sounds like a successful operation to me! Another widely used variant is 'balls up', at which the mind boggles...

Leave a comment:

• Pellaz
    replied
    Hmmm, I wonder why the site is frequently slow for me, at early hours in the morning? It's a bit sluggish now, but was much worse before, when page-loads would take around 2 minutes, or return a 404 error after 3 minutes or so. (!) This is not an uncommon problem at this hour for me, either. And yet, sometimes the site responds lickety-split (2 or 3 seconds for a page-load).

Leave a comment:

• Bob
    replied
    PWV: I guess you could use "balls-up". Means pretty much the same thing, but you might not get quite the same drastic reaction...

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Originally posted by GuyLawley
    BTW, do Americans and others outside Brit-cit know the phrase "cock-up"?
    Originally posted by Bob
    "Cock-up" is one of those terms that I use almost daily, especially at work.
    Oh, man! If I used "cock-up" at work, I'd surely find myself in a small office being talked to by someone from the human resources department. :lol:

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Re: 22% of our traffic was coming from

I noticed recently that there have been numerous double posts, diffculty reaching our database and so on. After some research, I discovered that a search engine called Gigablast was gigablasting us. I've denied them access and the site should pick up speed soon.
    Yes, Berry, it was kind of "cocked-up" inscreasingly often, and if I didn't have a DSL flat-rate so that I could just go to other sites in the meantime while waiting for MWM to "apparition" I might have despaired occasionally. Was like that again this morning (Europe) and then suddenly, "by the Whiskers of Kurvi-Tash!"*, during early afternoon all went fine again!

*Anybody know the quote?

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    Originally posted by GuyLawley
    BTW, do Americans and others outside Brit-cit know the phrase "cock-up"? It's not as rude as it sounds.
    We don't use the pharse, not because it's naughty.

I heard the phrase for the first time when I caught an episode of The Thin Blue Line, where the detective is arguing with the chief (Rowan Atkinson) and says, "It'll be your cock up. My arse." Not rude, eh? :twisted:

What's the entomology on that one?
    According to my dictionary the original meaning of the phrase 'cock-up' is a typographical one to refer to an intial letter that is taller than another one (as in I suppose the M in Mr?). Somehow it's become a slang for a mistake in the UK. Writer/presenter Denis Norden is 'king of the cock-up' since he's used the phrase constantly in his UK blooper series It'll Be Alright On The Night which has been running on and off for 27 years or so.

I don't recall seeing that Thin Blue Line episode Berry but it's just a bit of word play, making something rude out of a phrase that isn't normally rude. In fact, cock-up is a positively quaint and old-fashioned term that I wouldn't say is in general use here these days. You're far more likely to hear 'f--- up' instead!

I've noticed things have been rather slow too, hopefully you'll get it sorted soon. Good to know you're on the ball.

Leave a comment:

• Dead-Air
    replied
    Damn, that's really annoying. We're all lucky to have someone who knows well enough what's going on to pull the strings to stop it. Talk about silly, when Michael Moorcock can't get on to post on his own message board!

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    I doubled checked my logs, and the indexing continues apace. I redirect them to Google, but they still have to interface with this computer in order to get redirected. So I've reported the problem to the ISP and I suspect they'll block that IP address up the line from me and this should resolve the lagginess we are experiencing. I'll keep everyone posted.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Yes, I only managed to get on recently. Think I lost a posting, too.

Leave a comment:

• Dead-Air
    replied
    Hmm. I wonder if they are somehow still affecting things? The site has been bogged down several different times today.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X