Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

22% of our traffic was coming from

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiskers
    replied
    Originally posted by GuyLawley
    BTW, do Americans and others outside Brit-cit know the phrase "cock-up"? It's not as rude as it sounds.
    We don't use the pharse, not because it's naughty.

I heard the phrase for the first time when I caught an episode of The Thin Blue Line, where the detective is arguing with the chief (Rowan Atkinson) and says, "It'll be your cock up. My arse." Not rude, eh? :twisted:

What's the entomology on that one?

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    I had a client in a while back with a greyhound that had damage to one of its back paw claws, causing ligament contracture and what is known as a 'Knocked-up Toe'. Explaining this to the somewhat cockney client, she immediately gets on her mobile to her husband and says 'Ere! Fred! The Vet sez e's gorra cocked-up toe!'. 'Well, it amounts to the same thing' I muttered, in my sophisticated laconic fashion...

Almost as bad as the poor old chap who tried to tell me about his Great Dane with a twisted stomach: ''E 'ad a Gastric Tortoise, doctor'. Think about it. :)

Leave a comment:

• Bob
    replied
    "Cock-up" is one of those terms that I use almost daily, especially at work. For some reason, it never loses its amusement factor.

Leave a comment:

• GuyLawley
    replied
    Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    The intent is not malicious, which leaves us with the question, "Why was the site being swamped?" The answer is that the bot that Gigablast uses, one written by a single guy, is poorly written. His technology sucks. Instead of making a few requests over a long period of time, he zeros in on a specific site and puts the vampire on it thus slowing our page loads. I mean, he was throwing ~60 users at the system while we were throwing 40.

I'm sad to say that I can't make this explanation any simpler except to say that a broken search engine was throwing the vamp on our site.
    Thanks, I get it now.

I believe in the vast majority of cases the "cock-up" theory is more likely to hold than the conspiracy theory. (As was the case here; bad technology caused the problem, not someone deliberately out to wreck the site.)

BTW, do Americans and others outside Brit-cit know the phrase "cock-up"? It's not as rude as it sounds.

Leave a comment:

• Dead-Air
    replied
    And we only got the above post from Michael one time, which is a very good sign. ;)

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Much obliged, Berry. It does seem to be speeding up a bit and not so many 'Website Unavailable' notices, which were puzzling me.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Sure.

So the site got slow and I noticed that we were getting 100+ guests for extended periods of time. I have a management tool that shows me what computers are visiting the site. I noticed a large number of connections from 64.62.*.*. This is a range of IP Addresses. You computer has an IP address and so does every other. This meant that numerous computers from the same geographic region were visiting the site. This is uncommon, except in two cases. Case 1 is that we are being attacked by numerous zombies (maliciously and remotely controlled computers). In case 1 we can expect more than a mere 100 computers, but rather a quantity in the thousands. Case 2 is that we are being spidered by a bot. A bot, such as those employed by Google, use programs that visit web pages and record the content for searching. So I used http://www.dnsstuff.com/ that has an IP WHOIS. This is a special search engine that can identify what domain name IP addresses come from. This lead me to Gigablast, a new search engine; hypothesis confirmed. I have a method for blocking requests from a range of IP Addresses and have done so. Within a half hour, our guests dropped from 100 to 40, a more reasonable number.

The intent is not malicious, which leaves us with the question, "Why was the site being swamped?" The answer is that the bot that Gigablast uses, one written by a single guy, is poorly written. His technology sucks. Instead of making a few requests over a long period of time, he zeros in on a specific site and puts the vampire on it thus slowing our page loads. I mean, he was throwing ~60 users at the system while we were throwing 40.

I'm sad to say that I can't make this explaination any simpler except to say that a broken search engine was throwing the vamp on our site.

Leave a comment:

• GuyLawley
    replied
    Nice work, mon dude... but can you briefly enlighten those of us who are less computer-literate than thou know what it all means?

Like, what is a gigablasting and why would they do it? What do they gain (or is just for the joy of hasslement?)

Leave a comment:

• Governor of Rowe Island
    replied
    Nice one Berry. I'd noticed that it sometimes took a while for a post to be posted and thought I was maybe running too many applications. (I'm a busy surfer when I'm online.) But there had been posts that went missing or only posted after an age, and a few times when it took forever to connect - from different computers, too.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    started a topic 22% of our traffic was coming from

22% of our traffic was coming from

I noticed recently that there have been numerous double posts, diffculty reaching our database and so on. After some research, I discovered that a search engine called Gigablast was gigablasting us. I've denied them access and the site should pick up speed soon.
Working...
X