Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

22% of our traffic was coming from

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 22% of our traffic was coming from

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    I noticed recently that there have been numerous double posts, diffculty reaching our database and so on. After some research, I discovered that a search engine called Gigablast was gigablasting us. I've denied them access and the site should pick up speed soon.
    Yes, Berry, it was kind of "cocked-up" inscreasingly often, and if I didn't have a DSL flat-rate so that I could just go to other sites in the meantime while waiting for MWM to "apparition" I might have despaired occasionally. Was like that again this morning (Europe) and then suddenly, "by the Whiskers of Kurvi-Tash!"*, during early afternoon all went fine again!

*Anybody know the quote?
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
      BTW, do Americans and others outside Brit-cit know the phrase "cock-up"?
      Originally posted by Bob
      "Cock-up" is one of those terms that I use almost daily, especially at work.
      Oh, man! If I used "cock-up" at work, I'd surely find myself in a small office being talked to by someone from the human resources department. :lol:
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

PWV: I guess you could use "balls-up". Means pretty much the same thing, but you might not get quite the same drastic reaction...
        Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Hmmm, I wonder why the site is frequently slow for me, at early hours in the morning? It's a bit sluggish now, but was much worse before, when page-loads would take around 2 minutes, or return a 404 error after 3 minutes or so. (!) This is not an uncommon problem at this hour for me, either. And yet, sometimes the site responds lickety-split (2 or 3 seconds for a page-load).

Right now the site reports:
          "There are currently, 42 guest(s) and 5 member(s) that are online."

So it doesn't seem like the site should be that slooooooowwww......

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
            According to my dictionary the original meaning of the phrase 'cock-up' is a typographical one to refer to an intial letter that is taller than another one (as in I suppose the M in Mr?). Somehow it's become a slang for a mistake in the UK.
            Interesting - I've always thought the phrase is a bit of a misnomer, as a 'cock up' sounds like a successful operation to me! Another widely used variant is 'balls up', at which the mind boggles...
            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz

For me, the problem has generally resolved. My logs don't show further spidering occuring. Comcast has become our first place bandwidth consumer at 7% of all traffic.

Maybe your ISP is doing something at night that zaps it's performance. hmmmm
              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

You might want to keep an eye for anything from 66.249.*.* (Googlebot) or 207.46.*.* (msn.bot). I found these two bots were slowing down a forum I admin quite considerably. If you go to the admin index in the control panel, and scroll to the bottom, it should tell you how many threads a given IP is scanning. Googlebot and msn.bot can be pretty insidious.
                Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                  Originally posted by Pellaz

For me, the problem has generally resolved. My logs don't show further spidering occuring. Comcast has become our first place bandwidth consumer at 7% of all traffic.

Maybe your ISP is doing something at night that zaps it's performance.
                  Hmmm, doesn't seem like it. I'll frequently open another window and browse elsewhere during the sllloowwww page-loads here, and other sites respond fine with no major delays -- 3Mbps sometimes, and approaching 4Mbps (their current download limit) from realllly fast sites. I'm on Comcast, so I guess I'm one of those 7%. :)

Edit: tonight the site is refreshingly fast, BTW. Huzzah!

Comment

database = damaged
                    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

And I thought it was just the stupid firewall at work. I have to load most pages multiple times, including ones I need for work reasons.

Comment

Working...
                      X