Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

22% of our traffic was coming from

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22% of our traffic was coming from

I noticed recently that there have been numerous double posts, diffculty reaching our database and so on. After some research, I discovered that a search engine called Gigablast was gigablasting us. I've denied them access and the site should pick up speed soon.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Nice one Berry. I'd noticed that it sometimes took a while for a post to be posted and thought I was maybe running too many applications. (I'm a busy surfer when I'm online.) But there had been posts that went missing or only posted after an age, and a few times when it took forever to connect - from different computers, too.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Nice work, mon dude... but can you briefly enlighten those of us who are less computer-literate than thou know what it all means?

Like, what is a gigablasting and why would they do it? What do they gain (or is just for the joy of hasslement?)

Comment

Sure.

So the site got slow and I noticed that we were getting 100+ guests for extended periods of time. I have a management tool that shows me what computers are visiting the site. I noticed a large number of connections from 64.62.*.*. This is a range of IP Addresses. You computer has an IP address and so does every other. This meant that numerous computers from the same geographic region were visiting the site. This is uncommon, except in two cases. Case 1 is that we are being attacked by numerous zombies (maliciously and remotely controlled computers). In case 1 we can expect more than a mere 100 computers, but rather a quantity in the thousands. Case 2 is that we are being spidered by a bot. A bot, such as those employed by Google, use programs that visit web pages and record the content for searching. So I used http://www.dnsstuff.com/ that has an IP WHOIS. This is a special search engine that can identify what domain name IP addresses come from. This lead me to Gigablast, a new search engine; hypothesis confirmed. I have a method for blocking requests from a range of IP Addresses and have done so. Within a half hour, our guests dropped from 100 to 40, a more reasonable number.

The intent is not malicious, which leaves us with the question, "Why was the site being swamped?" The answer is that the bot that Gigablast uses, one written by a single guy, is poorly written. His technology sucks. Instead of making a few requests over a long period of time, he zeros in on a specific site and puts the vampire on it thus slowing our page loads. I mean, he was throwing ~60 users at the system while we were throwing 40.

I'm sad to say that I can't make this explaination any simpler except to say that a broken search engine was throwing the vamp on our site.
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Much obliged, Berry. It does seem to be speeding up a bit and not so many 'Website Unavailable' notices, which were puzzling me.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

And we only got the above post from Michael one time, which is a very good sign. ;)
            My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
              The intent is not malicious, which leaves us with the question, "Why was the site being swamped?" The answer is that the bot that Gigablast uses, one written by a single guy, is poorly written. His technology sucks. Instead of making a few requests over a long period of time, he zeros in on a specific site and puts the vampire on it thus slowing our page loads. I mean, he was throwing ~60 users at the system while we were throwing 40.

I'm sad to say that I can't make this explanation any simpler except to say that a broken search engine was throwing the vamp on our site.
              Thanks, I get it now.

I believe in the vast majority of cases the "cock-up" theory is more likely to hold than the conspiracy theory. (As was the case here; bad technology caused the problem, not someone deliberately out to wreck the site.)

BTW, do Americans and others outside Brit-cit know the phrase "cock-up"? It's not as rude as it sounds.

Comment

"Cock-up" is one of those terms that I use almost daily, especially at work. For some reason, it never loses its amusement factor.
                Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

I had a client in a while back with a greyhound that had damage to one of its back paw claws, causing ligament contracture and what is known as a 'Knocked-up Toe'. Explaining this to the somewhat cockney client, she immediately gets on her mobile to her husband and says 'Ere! Fred! The Vet sez e's gorra cocked-up toe!'. 'Well, it amounts to the same thing' I muttered, in my sophisticated laconic fashion...

Almost as bad as the poor old chap who tried to tell me about his Great Dane with a twisted stomach: ''E 'ad a Gastric Tortoise, doctor'. Think about it. :)

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                    BTW, do Americans and others outside Brit-cit know the phrase "cock-up"? It's not as rude as it sounds.
                    We don't use the pharse, not because it's naughty.

I heard the phrase for the first time when I caught an episode of The Thin Blue Line, where the detective is arguing with the chief (Rowan Atkinson) and says, "It'll be your cock up. My arse." Not rude, eh? :twisted:

What's the entomology on that one?

Comment

Hmm. I wonder if they are somehow still affecting things? The site has been bogged down several different times today.
                      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

I doubled checked my logs, and the indexing continues apace. I redirect them to Google, but they still have to interface with this computer in order to get redirected. So I've reported the problem to the ISP and I suspect they'll block that IP address up the line from me and this should resolve the lagginess we are experiencing. I'll keep everyone posted.

Comment

Damn, that's really annoying. We're all lucky to have someone who knows well enough what's going on to pull the strings to stop it. Talk about silly, when Michael Moorcock can't get on to post on his own message board!

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                            Originally posted by GuyLawley
                            We don't use the pharse, not because it's naughty.

I heard the phrase for the first time when I caught an episode of The Thin Blue Line, where the detective is arguing with the chief (Rowan Atkinson) and says, "It'll be your cock up. My arse." Not rude, eh? :twisted:

What's the entomology on that one?
                            According to my dictionary the original meaning of the phrase 'cock-up' is a typographical one to refer to an intial letter that is taller than another one (as in I suppose the M in Mr?). Somehow it's become a slang for a mistake in the UK. Writer/presenter Denis Norden is 'king of the cock-up' since he's used the phrase constantly in his UK blooper series It'll Be Alright On The Night which has been running on and off for 27 years or so.

I don't recall seeing that Thin Blue Line episode Berry but it's just a bit of word play, making something rude out of a phrase that isn't normally rude. In fact, cock-up is a positively quaint and old-fashioned term that I wouldn't say is in general use here these days. You're far more likely to hear 'f--- up' instead!

I've noticed things have been rather slow too, hopefully you'll get it sorted soon. Good to know you're on the ball.
                            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Working...
                            X