Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wanted to say that I love everyone's avatars. Sorry for the stock selection, but I knew you lurkers and posters would bring your own. I just love them!

I really do look like my avatar. That was a portrait done by a friend.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Your avatar looks cool Berry. Your friend is a talented artist.

Thanks for letting us use the avatar feature - I always feel more at home on a forum with an avatar. On some forums I've seen you have to have a certain post count to earn the right to have an avatar but you have let us use them straight away. :)

Mine is a picture of the Grey Mouser taken from a marvel comic book cover of Lean Times in Lankhmar, drawn I think by Mike Mignola.

Comment

I think quotas are kinda bullshit. I mean, it'll take me an hour to script a post-bot that'll post 1 of 10 random generic responses that get tacked onto the end of a thread to bust the quota. Plus that quota shit is elitest. I wish I had a dime for every friggin l33ttard on the planet. We're gunning for a fun forum here. One without a heirarchy if you know what I mean.

I must concede that being a forum moderator could be interpreted as some sort of favor. But trust me, moderating is a pain in the ass. Besides, it's a favor to that sub-community not the moderator.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

i wonآ´t use the avatar function.

donآ´t get me wrong, they can be used in a very creative way, and yours look great so far, but iآ´ve seen too many blinking, animated, silly ones so iآ´ve decided that it is enough for me...

content first, then the rest! but to whom i am talking? that was just retorical of course. all contributions so far are an interesting read.

ah, and great to see that the outage was not a permanent one!

Comment

Avatars make me feel like I'm projecting myself into a different plane of existance. Corny, I know.

Comment

Me too... And I also look like my avatar... Just kidding... My avatar is fatter... hehehe
            \\

Comment

Still can't my f****** avatar uploaded. While at the same time CNN and the others are showing him all day during medical checkup before and after shaving.
              Dec. 14th ...

Comment

Remember: gif or jpg, 6k or less with dimensions no greater than 80px80p.

Comment

It's really hard to find an avatar I like and make it that small size wise (by which I mean kb, not dimensions) without it going all fuzzy. Is there no way to allow larger avatars (kb wise) to be used if hosted on the members own webspace?

Comment

I'm sorry guys, it's possible, but I'm unwilling to do it for two simple reasons:

1) Disk space is at a premium. I prefer to leave disk space for mp3z. I plan to have numerous files available in the near future.

2) The main reason is that if you point to a graphic on a server and that server is down, it slows the delivery of the page here that points to said graphic. That has implications for our friends in Europe.

Go 256 or 16 colors (try greyscale). I wish I could make case by case exceptions for those who make contributions, but this system isn't that sophisticated.

Comment

Forums are a big part of bandwidth leeching even though it is by the owner’s permission. Large forums, like Tribalwar, with more than 200 members on at any given moment would kill a sites bandwidth limit in a matter of minutes. Even with 1 post, a 6kb avatar that is directly addressed from another site will add up to 600kb with 100 views of that thread. Now suppose you posted on more than 100 threads. That amount of bandwidth would exceed the limitations of most free sites.

Comment

Working...
                      X