Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Disappearing 'Today's Posts' button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing 'Today's Posts' button

Nothing serious. Being security minded, I don't keep cookies on my gadgets, which means whenever I want to post on the forum, I have to log in. So, often when I check out to the Miscellany, unlogged in, I look for the, Today's Posts button. Handy for checking out the latest news on the MB. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. What happens to it? Is it a glitch, or is it being switched off for some reason?

Just curious.

Hmmm I've never seen that problem happen. I too have to log in every time I pop in or if I let the site sit idle for too long, but I always have the "New Posts" button at the top. Perhaps it's just a glitch.
    "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
    'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Happens to me all the time. When I first go into Multiverse.org on an iPad there is no "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" button along the top line. i have to go to Forums first.

Not a major problem, but a bit of a pain in the bum.

Comment

Looks like the main toolbar on the front page is not set quite right for those who are not logged in. I'll have a quick look later to see if it is quickly fixable once I get some time, if the fox doesn't beat me to it!

Comment

On a closer look, it seems "Today's posts" is targeted at non-members as "New Posts" makes no sense for them. However, if the site recognises you, then "New Posts" replaces "Today's Posts" - though New Posts Today's Posts is still available under the "Quick Links" button.
          Last edited by Rothgo; 06-15-2014, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
            On a closer look, it seems "Today's posts" is targeted at non-members as "New Posts" makes no sense for them. However, if the site recognises you, then "New Posts" replaces "Today's Posts" - though New Posts Today's Posts is still available under the "Quick Links" button.
            Never thought to look in Quick Links. Not even by accident.
            Last edited by Rothgo; 06-15-2014, 02:03 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure what exactly you are experiencing PM, but if you don't have the site cookies you shouldn't see 'new posts' at all because that is different for each user. Maybe you are seeing a page stored in your browser's cache sometimes.

Speaking of site cookies, what's the Skype cookie from multiverse.org for? Is there some killer thing that I'm missing?

Comment

It wasn't New Posts that went missing, but Today's Posts. That's been working fine recently.

Comment

Ah I see... I didn't even know there was a 'today's posts'.

Comment

Yeah same here. I've never seen "Todays Posts" on the page, only "New Posts".

Comment

A reminder of an old post of mine, still valid: Why Login?
                      (Though we're still trying to get the image links fixed after our recent image-hive upgrade).

Comment

I just thought yesterday, I wasn't inferring that the cookies used by a site like the Miscellany are in any way dodgy from a security point of view. Cookies can be useful little things, tailoring the workings of the site to a particular logged in user, making everything work smoothly. No, it's the other cookies, the ones that come from some other sites. Sometimes sites you don't even use and may not even have visited *Cough*Facebook, Google & etc.*Cough*, that may be more of a security risk. I wonder if that Skype cookie might be something of the sort? There are even some that use Flash, to put much larger and harder to lose 'super' cookies on your device. I use Better Privacy on Firefox, to control them.

Addblock Plus, Better Privacy, Ghostery, useful for keeping an eye on those who might be wanting to keep an eye on you.

Comment

Is it me, or is there no easy way to view recent, 'Discussions,' or 'Today's Posts,' like there used to be? These days, I have to search through the various Forums & threads to follow what everybody is posting. Seem to be missing a lot of good stuff! 🤔

Comment

I usually go to New Topics, then on the thread I want to read there is a little down arrow in a circle for Go To The First New Post. This works for me, so I don't have to weed through the entire forum looking for new stuff.

Comment

Thanks! I'll try that.

Comment

Working...
                              X