Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Chaos Engineers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaos Engineers

Dear friends,

Chris Handy and Berry Sizemore have had their titles changed to Chaos Engineer from the more obvious titles. I’ve been thinking about this for a while and I hope you find this agreeable. Our titles remain in the Credits page: for the Forum It really seems unnecessary. To further reduce the perception of some kind of authority structure or exclusion list. I’m afraid some people are put off by it, and so I’d like the site to reflect a crew of people making active contributions. I’m considering creating a rank called “Contributor� for some who have made a contribution, but no longer actively participates. I’d like your opinions on that one. Back to the Chaos Engineers, I’ve stripped us of our stars.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Sounds fine to me, Berry.

As far as losing the stars go, I'm reminded of Bruce Lee's attitude regarding 'belts' is Kung Fu. He told a student belts were simply to hold your pants up.

The stars mean nothing, nor do the number of posts. Nomad the Troll commented that he didn't care 'how many posts I had', as if that mattered for anything. :? Sure, it controls the different titles (Citizen of Tanelorn, Guardian of the Grail, etc.), which I think is really cool, so it has its purpose. But the idea I'm someone special because I shoot my mouth off a lot in the forums is absurd.

So, anyway, way to go. Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the explanation.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I rember hearing that the color belts were based on the fact that students would wash their uniforms but not their belts.... so eventually grass stains would turn them yellow, then green, and eventually they would become black.

I have to agree with PWV, the amount of posts shouldn't matter, it's the quality of what the person is saying at the time that should be important.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitsune
        I rember hearing that the color belts were based on the fact that students would wash their uniforms but not their belts.... so eventually grass stains would turn them yellow, then green, and eventually they would become black.
        Quite right, Kitsune. The colors do in fact represent the transition the belt takes as it ages. In fact, in certain styles, the grandmaster's belt is, once again, white, representing the belt at the condition of being threadbare.

white: new
        yellow: stained from sweat
        green: stained from grass
        blue/purple: representing bruises, as best I can figure. :?
        red: stained from new blood
        brown: stained with old blood
        black: completely soiled from years of use

Also true is that idea that the belt is not washed. My Tae Kwon Do master made it quite clear that washing the belt was a no-no. The uniform, however, was to be crisp and clean at all times.
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

That sounds cool to me Berry. I think you should follow your instincts on this as you tend to have a really good feel for what will work here, and you can always change things back or try something different if it doesn't work out. You and Chris have always been the real Chaos Engineers anyway, as you're the only ones with the technical skills to fully live up to the title.

Re the stars, I didn't even notice they were missing 'till I checked this thread. :roll:

Comment

Working...
          X