Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weapon-zero
    replied
    Thanks Berry,

That should do the trick...

Im sure this site will get packed with people as time of the movie release gets closer... I just hope it wont get clogged by spam.

cheers

alex

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    Read this article for details on posting reader generated artwork.

[broken link]

Originally posted by weapon-zero
    Do you mean an art forum? Or a place in the portal for readers and artisits to post thier own work?
    I actually draw a lot, and I have to say that MM inspired me on most of my work, and I am sure there are a lot of fan fiction writers out there that are dying to put their stuff online.
    I know that you do this on a voluntary basis and that HD space is costly, but if you establish a file format to submit work and a filesize limit, you probably can get a lot without actually needing too much space. Just a little suggestion

cheers

Alex
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 01:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied

That is from the first issue of MICHAEL MOORCOCK'S MULTIVERSE drawn by Walter Simonson. I scanned it out of the comic book.
    Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 05-25-2010, 09:32 AM. Reason: Spring Cleaning

Leave a comment:

• ThanosShadowsage
    replied

Yay!

I'm only posting here to profess my extreme amusement at Mike's picture/avatar. Whomever drew that deserves an Emmy.

haha,

Thanos

Leave a comment:

• Kinsley Castle
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    I don't often read other peoples' fantasy fiction but why not post it on the basis that I might well steal your idea ? After all, I do include suggestions from readers from time to time in the fiction I write!
    Well, I don't mind, and I'll post it. It only represents about ten minutes work. But it's a rather one dimensional joke, and I can't see how anyone might take it further.

Now the thing to do would be to work from the basic concept. Too many fantasy writers retell Lord of the Rings point for point. They could, instead, try to retell it from the orc's point of view. They'd have a great civilisation in the making, ready to undergo advances in the arts, in philosophy, in society, in technical know-how, (in dentistry ). Only, they run into all these woodland types -- conservative and reactionary creatures trapped in the dream of a misremembered "golden age" that probably never happened in the first place. They oppose the nascent civilisation, preferring that the young races remain ignorant barbarians. And, of course, they'd win in the end. That would make this a tragic and cautionary tale, which, I think, would be quite topical.

The advantage here, of course, is that you could still copy Lord of the Rings point for point, but the effect would be quite different. And you'd have a nice bit of intextuality to impress the post-modern critics. It wouldn't make a bad story either. Sooo. Who wants to take it on? :)

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Post reader written fiction/non-fiction.

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Originally posted by Kinsley Castle
    I actually draw a lot, and I have to say that MM inspired me on most of my work, and I am sure there are a lot of fan fiction writers out there that are dying to put their stuff online.
    Hmm. I've got an "If Moorcock had written LOTR" thing floating around somewhere. 8)

But what would Mike think about having a bunch of fan fiction hanging around where he could see it? I know I wouldn't appreciate it if it was me. (That's too much of an opportunity for someone to start shouting, "Hey, he stole my idea!" at every least little resemblance.)
    Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 05-25-2010, 09:21 AM. Reason: Spring Cleaning

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Post reader generated artwork.

Reader Submissions Gallery

Originally posted by Whiskers
    Do you mean an art forum? Or a place in the portal for readers and artisits to post thier own work?
    I know that you do this on a voluntary basis and that HD space is costly, but if you establish a file format to submit work and a filesize limit, you probably can get a lot without actually needing too much space. Just a little suggestion

cheers

Alex
    Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 05-25-2010, 09:21 AM. Reason: Spring Cleaning

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    This is the only bit of the site I've been able to reach so far, but I must say Berry it's looking very good and as you say very useful.
    I don't often read other peoples' fantasy fiction but why not post it on the basis that I might well steal your idea ? After all, I do include suggestions from readers from time to time in the fiction I write! And generally I'll acknowledge the person who suggested it. Since I'm not planning to write much more fantasy, at least for a while after The White Wolf's Son has been done and the Elric graphic novel completed, I'm not sure there's much danger in this, anyway.
    Also I won't be calling in at this site much since it seems to me a bit of an
    imposition. I'll be available, as ever, to answer questions and interact on topics as I did at the old Q&A. If anyone wants to make me aware of some specific topic discussed here, they have only to point me towards it.
    My own computer illiteracy (I don't visit chat rooms or other boards except once in a blue moon) means I haven't quite got the hang of everything yet but I'm sure it won't take long. Meanwhile, I just wanted to say 'Hi' and I'll be back to answering questions just as soon as Iget the hang of things.
    Oh, yes, and the movie contract is close to being finalised. It wasn't Universal holding it up as much as me wanting to get some things straight.

Leave a comment:

• dlackey
    replied
    This looks like a great new update to the old site. Hope you get the hang of logging on here to chat with us Mr. M!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    For the moment just quick compliments on the new look.
    I didn't visit the old version often enough to get used to the rather arcane terminology and could never find what I wanted.
    The version before that (pre-multiverse.org) was already on the way towards major confusion.

Currently re-reading the entire Robots/Empire/Foundation series by Asimov and others but once that's out of the way I'll be back on MM.

Perhaps I'll finally get around to putting together the guide to multiverse pronunciation that I've talked about on and off for years...

Leave a comment:

• Kinsley Castle
    replied
    Hmm. I've got an "If Moorcock had written LOTR" thing floating around somewhere. 8)

But what would Mike think about having a bunch of fan fiction hanging around where he could see it? I know I wouldn't appreciate it if it was me. (That's too much of an opportunity for someone to start shouting, "Hey, he stole my idea!" at every least little resemblance.)

Leave a comment:

• weapon-zero
    replied

cheers

Alex

Leave a comment:

• Kinsley Castle
    replied
    Getting suggestions used to include hours of work by myself. Most people didn't know that.
    I wouldn't blame you for avoiding suggestions of that sort. Especially since this is all volunteer work. It probably helps that you seem to have some firm ideas about where you want to take this.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Enclave at the End of Time ◦ Members' Work

Thank you! Kind words indeed. The suggestion you made is a great one. Do you mean an art forum? Or a place in the portal for readers and artists to post their own work?

Now I feel a little silly for my last post in this thread. This is the sort of suggestion that does work for me. Getting suggestions used to include hours of work by myself. Most people didn't know that. So I guess there are some suggestions that do work.

Edit: Enclave at the End of Time ◦ Members' Work

Wow Berry,

Very impressive !
    I was wondering when the layout of multiverse.org would change, and this change is for the best !
    Guess I for my part am happy that storm took place :lol:

Can't wait for the new Q&A sections to come online...

I have a suggestion for the site. Why not have a sggestion section where people could actually give you feedback on what needs to be tweaked.
    Oh, and why not an art section or something ?

Cheers and keep up the good work,

Alex
    Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 05-25-2010, 08:30 AM. Reason: Spring Cleaning

Leave a comment:

• weapon-zero
    replied
    Wow Berry,

Very impressive !
    I was wondering when the layout of multiverse.org would change, and this change is for the best !
    Guess I for my part am happy that storm took place :lol:

Can't wait for the new Q&A sections to come online...

I have a suggestion for the site. Why not have a sggestion section where people could actually give you feedback on what needs to be tweaked.
    Oh, and why not an art section or something ?

Cheers and keep up the good work,

Alex

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    I couldn't agree with you more. It is too early. It should be encouraging to see that the bibliography is one click away within the main navigation. The Q&A, News and Q&A archive will be one click away as well.

The is an enormous amount of content for me to port, but it all should be just as easy to integrate. Opinions are always welcome. Constructive suggestions are a little different. I have only so much time and a constructive suggestion implies the possibility of action and I may not be able to produce something to meet everyone's expectations. In fact, the last 8 years have taught me that many situations have a large group of people who see either way. So instead of pleasing everyone, I do it the way I feel is best for me. Mike gets the veto, because there is an expectation of quality.

BUT, I cannot deny that after five years, multiverse.org was looking extremely shabby. And the navigation was a travesty. Funny, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Since this is all free work, it seemed fair to do it my way. But I have always wanted a better content management system so that Mike could do more than just answers questions, and I wouldn't have to write a new set of web pages every few years. Plus, since I like them, I have always wanted a great forum/bbs system up and running. I just put the lid on a registration system for multiverse.org when the crash occurred. So I remembered the forum system and the portal and knew that was the only way to save the site. As long as my production system was working, there was no point in getting a new ISP and setting this stuff up.

That wind storm has changed things for the better. For the first time in like 2 years I'm doing what I enjoy most; hanging out in a portal and slapping some content together. Another factor that caused me to put this site together in such a hurry is the probability of a movie coming out. This place will get flooded. Imagine if the old site were up. We wouldn't know anyone was here and they probably would have been disappointed. But now they can add to what we already have and they'll have the benefit of energized regulars who can inform them of Mike's other work. Hopefully that'll equal more sales of content for Mr. Moorcock.

Oh, and people may be impressed with my work and will want to hire me.

Originally posted by Kinsley Castle
    I think opinions would be a bit premature at this stage, with so little of the content actually up. Maybe constructive suggestions would be more useful? For mine, anything that makes multiverse easier to navigate (compared to the old site) would be a plus.
    Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 05-25-2010, 08:24 AM. Reason: Spring Cleaning

Leave a comment:

Working...
X