Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Site

Wow Berry,

That was fast. I suppose I've been offline for a few days but I doesn't seem like the site has been down very long. I like the new look too, the style is simple but not in a boring way. Plus the messageboard system will really improve the Q&A. It's a lot more interactive and should prove to be a huge benefit to all.

Three cheers for Berry/Jhary!

Thanos Shadowsage

Poll

Who voted that the new site is total crap? The results say that two people think so. It's WAY more interactive now. I demand explainations! ;p Yeah I'm over reacting... just being dramatic. But really... what's there not to like?

Thanos

Comment

Those opinions exist and it's necessary for us to hear about it. That's why there is even a new site. And you know first hand Thanos, I work quickly. I can crank out huge amounts of crap in a relatively short period of time. So, I slowed down a bit and got this new site up.

Anyway, you, I and others are going to get all the mileage we can out of this baby. People who don't like it will probably change their minds when by the end of the month it is completed.

My only wish is that I could integrate the forum system with the portal system. But there doesn't seem to be much possibility for that.

Edit: Well, I guess I finally found a way.
      Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 05-25-2010, 08:19 AM. Reason: Spring Cleaning
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I think opinions would be a bit premature at this stage, with so little of the content actually up. Maybe constructive suggestions would be more useful? For mine, anything that makes multiverse easier to navigate (compared to the old site) would be a plus.

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more. It is too early. It should be encouraging to see that the bibliography is one click away within the main navigation. The Q&A, News and Q&A archive will be one click away as well.

The is an enormous amount of content for me to port, but it all should be just as easy to integrate. Opinions are always welcome. Constructive suggestions are a little different. I have only so much time and a constructive suggestion implies the possibility of action and I may not be able to produce something to meet everyone's expectations. In fact, the last 8 years have taught me that many situations have a large group of people who see either way. So instead of pleasing everyone, I do it the way I feel is best for me. Mike gets the veto, because there is an expectation of quality.

BUT, I cannot deny that after five years, multiverse.org was looking extremely shabby. And the navigation was a travesty. Funny, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Since this is all free work, it seemed fair to do it my way. But I have always wanted a better content management system so that Mike could do more than just answers questions, and I wouldn't have to write a new set of web pages every few years. Plus, since I like them, I have always wanted a great forum/bbs system up and running. I just put the lid on a registration system for multiverse.org when the crash occurred. So I remembered the forum system and the portal and knew that was the only way to save the site. As long as my production system was working, there was no point in getting a new ISP and setting this stuff up.

That wind storm has changed things for the better. For the first time in like 2 years I'm doing what I enjoy most; hanging out in a portal and slapping some content together. Another factor that caused me to put this site together in such a hurry is the probability of a movie coming out. This place will get flooded. Imagine if the old site were up. We wouldn't know anyone was here and they probably would have been disappointed. But now they can add to what we already have and they'll have the benefit of energized regulars who can inform them of Mike's other work. Hopefully that'll equal more sales of content for Mr. Moorcock.

Oh, and people may be impressed with my work and will want to hire me.

Originally posted by Kinsley Castle
          I think opinions would be a bit premature at this stage, with so little of the content actually up. Maybe constructive suggestions would be more useful? For mine, anything that makes multiverse easier to navigate (compared to the old site) would be a plus.
          Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 05-25-2010, 08:24 AM. Reason: Spring Cleaning
          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Wow Berry,

Very impressive !
            I was wondering when the layout of multiverse.org would change, and this change is for the best !
            Guess I for my part am happy that storm took place :lol:

Can't wait for the new Q&A sections to come online...

I have a suggestion for the site. Why not have a sggestion section where people could actually give you feedback on what needs to be tweaked.
            Oh, and why not an art section or something ?

Cheers and keep up the good work,

Alex

Comment

Enclave at the End of Time ◦ Members' Work

Thank you! Kind words indeed. The suggestion you made is a great one. Do you mean an art forum? Or a place in the portal for readers and artists to post their own work?

Now I feel a little silly for my last post in this thread. This is the sort of suggestion that does work for me. Getting suggestions used to include hours of work by myself. Most people didn't know that. So I guess there are some suggestions that do work.

Edit: Enclave at the End of Time ◦ Members' Work

Originally posted by weapon-zero
              Wow Berry,

Very impressive !
              I was wondering when the layout of multiverse.org would change, and this change is for the best !
              Guess I for my part am happy that storm took place :lol:

Can't wait for the new Q&A sections to come online...

I have a suggestion for the site. Why not have a sggestion section where people could actually give you feedback on what needs to be tweaked.
              Oh, and why not an art section or something ?

Cheers and keep up the good work,

Alex
              Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 05-25-2010, 08:30 AM. Reason: Spring Cleaning

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                Getting suggestions used to include hours of work by myself. Most people didn't know that.
                I wouldn't blame you for avoiding suggestions of that sort. Especially since this is all volunteer work. It probably helps that you seem to have some firm ideas about where you want to take this.

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                  Do you mean an art forum? Or a place in the portal for readers and artisits to post thier own work?
                  I actually draw a lot, and I have to say that MM inspired me on most of my work, and I am sure there are a lot of fan fiction writers out there that are dying to put their stuff online.
                  I know that you do this on a voluntary basis and that HD space is costly, but if you establish a file format to submit work and a filesize limit, you probably can get a lot without actually needing too much space. Just a little suggestion

cheers

Alex

Comment

I actually draw a lot, and I have to say that MM inspired me on most of my work, and I am sure there are a lot of fan fiction writers out there that are dying to put their stuff online.
                    Hmm. I've got an "If Moorcock had written LOTR" thing floating around somewhere. 8)

But what would Mike think about having a bunch of fan fiction hanging around where he could see it? I know I wouldn't appreciate it if it was me. (That's too much of an opportunity for someone to start shouting, "Hey, he stole my idea!" at every least little resemblance.)

Comment

For the moment just quick compliments on the new look.
                      I didn't visit the old version often enough to get used to the rather arcane terminology and could never find what I wanted.
                      The version before that (pre-multiverse.org) was already on the way towards major confusion.

Currently re-reading the entire Robots/Empire/Foundation series by Asimov and others but once that's out of the way I'll be back on MM.

Perhaps I'll finally get around to putting together the guide to multiverse pronunciation that I've talked about on and off for years...

Comment

This looks like a great new update to the old site. Hope you get the hang of logging on here to chat with us Mr. M!

Comment

This is the only bit of the site I've been able to reach so far, but I must say Berry it's looking very good and as you say very useful.
                          I don't often read other peoples' fantasy fiction but why not post it on the basis that I might well steal your idea ? After all, I do include suggestions from readers from time to time in the fiction I write! And generally I'll acknowledge the person who suggested it. Since I'm not planning to write much more fantasy, at least for a while after The White Wolf's Son has been done and the Elric graphic novel completed, I'm not sure there's much danger in this, anyway.
                          Also I won't be calling in at this site much since it seems to me a bit of an
                          imposition. I'll be available, as ever, to answer questions and interact on topics as I did at the old Q&A. If anyone wants to make me aware of some specific topic discussed here, they have only to point me towards it.
                          My own computer illiteracy (I don't visit chat rooms or other boards except once in a blue moon) means I haven't quite got the hang of everything yet but I'm sure it won't take long. Meanwhile, I just wanted to say 'Hi' and I'll be back to answering questions just as soon as Iget the hang of things.
                          Oh, yes, and the movie contract is close to being finalised. It wasn't Universal holding it up as much as me wanting to get some things straight.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Post reader generated artwork.

Reader Submissions Gallery

Originally posted by Whiskers
                            Do you mean an art forum? Or a place in the portal for readers and artisits to post thier own work?
                            I know that you do this on a voluntary basis and that HD space is costly, but if you establish a file format to submit work and a filesize limit, you probably can get a lot without actually needing too much space. Just a little suggestion

cheers

Alex
                            Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 05-25-2010, 09:21 AM. Reason: Spring Cleaning

Comment

Post reader written fiction/non-fiction.

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Originally posted by Kinsley Castle
                              Hmm. I've got an "If Moorcock had written LOTR" thing floating around somewhere. 8)

But what would Mike think about having a bunch of fan fiction hanging around where he could see it? I know I wouldn't appreciate it if it was me. (That's too much of an opportunity for someone to start shouting, "Hey, he stole my idea!" at every least little resemblance.)
                              Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 05-25-2010, 09:21 AM. Reason: Spring Cleaning

Comment

Working...
                              X