Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Assistant Site Administrator

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Assistant Site Administrator

Dear Friends,

In light of the various challenges we've encountered recently, the amazing recovery and rejuvenation the site has experienced, and the active participation of volunteers I've come to the realization that we need a backup plan. I don't just mean the backup of our database and files, but in the event I am physically incapable or just unable to maintain the site for some unforeseen circumstance. So whom do I trust to do take on that kind of responsibility? It would have to be someone technically capable of managing a complex project, interested and caring enough to make it happen, and trustworthy to whom we can commit exactly the same administrative decision-making I take care of.

Over the last few years Moorcock's Weekly Miscellany (multiverse.org) has had many friends and contributors. But no one has made the silent contribution to the site like my good friend Chris Handy has. For more than 1 year, Chris hosted multiverse.org in his apartment over his DSL. He responded to my requests for help and advice as well as put up with the loud whirring computer in his TV room. He donated a huge amount of hardware to the project. He has been my Linux mentor for 4+ years and I know him to be a quality person who deserves our gratitude and respect.

I asked him to accept my invitation as Assistant Site Administrator and he accepted. His job will be to report hacking incidents and major technical difficulties. He now has access to all the relevant passwords and knows how to access the system. He'll also have the critical task of backing up the site database each week. Should I become incapable of managing the site, he'll fill that role as well.

I hope you'll make him feel welcome. His participation is integral to the site's survival and I for one will breath easier knowing that we now have a backup contingency. He's a great reader of Conan and a rugged outdoorsman. He's a digital barbarian. :)

Chris, welcome aboard!
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Welcome, Chris. Thanks for taking the responsibility. Anyone who comes with such high regard from Berry has to be OK.

Comment

Yeah, welcome Chris! Grateful to have the extra support!
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Thanks kindly! With an intro like that, I think I liked it better anonymous :P

It's been great watching this site increase in activity and services over the past 8 years or so that Berry and I have known each other. I can remember him spending hours after work, till midnight some times ( while I was online playing SubSpace ), redoing the site from what it was then. I've loved coming to this site over the years and reading the Q&A and looking at the arwork and story shorts, and am just amazed at the talent that frequents here, as well as the strong volunteer effort. But Berry is one of those few people you can call a great friend, and when he asked if I'd like to help, I jumped at it. Plus, because of my previous association, I got to meet Mr. Moorcock and spend some time talking with him and his lovely wife, and for any of you who have had that pleasure, it's truely a profound experience. So for that I'm indebted for life :D

So I hope to get to know some of you out there! I thank you for the welcomes, and sure hope I can help out!

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris! And thanks for helping Berry and MM.

(Don't listen to anything either one of them says about me! It's LIES I tell ya! ALL LIES!)
          :lol:
          Miqque
          ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

More importantly, don't listen to the cats. We've lost too many members to them already... you may be our last hope Chris.

D...
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Hi Chris,
              I know we are all grateful for this forum and your help in making it available.
              Thanks cowboy!
              "But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm trying real hard to be the shepard."

Comment

Hi Chris. Thanks for helping maintain one of the best sites on the net. Guess we may never get to fully appreciate the work and effort you and Berry put in to keep the Multiverse in shape.

Comment

Working...
                X