Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hail, fellows, and well met!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hail, fellows, and well met!

Enter Strider....stage left

*Looks around, admires the decor and settles himself in the big armchair in the corner*

Hi, folks...everybody wave to the newbie.... :)

Can't believe I just found this place.....just checked my bookshelf and the first Moorcock book I bought cost me 5 English shillings (Phoenix in Obsidian, Mayflower Paperback, 1970), I still have my vinyl copy of New World's Fair and yet I just Googled into this hallowed forum at random.

Well, if'n yer up ta makin' an agin' English eccentric welcome, I might just pop in now an' again ta share me wisdom and pass round a flask or two.

'appy trails

Exit Strider...stage right.

Nice to have you aboard.

Now,

Where's that flask.... :D
    When they had advanced together to meet on common
    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Oooh he left the armchair! Ew, it's still warm!!

Hello Strider, you join us at a very exciting time in the evolution of the forum... er... for technological reasons... that I don't really understand... well, anyway, as long as you keep the flasks coming I'm sure it will all sort itself out!

Glad to have you aboard.

D...

Edit: Hey, VW nipped in while I was typing and stole my jokes. Watch him Strider, he's a sneaky one! Or I'm too long-winded...
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Thanks fer the friendly welcome Mr Weiner, sir.....or may I call ya Von?

*executes an extravagantly courtly bow, and produces a hip flask full of spirtuous liquor from somewhere about his person*

Here's to ya....hail to the thief...mud in yer eye and a health unto yer majesty.

Now, can ye direct me to an inn in the vicinity...t'would seem ye've drained me dry!

Exit Strider, in search of a refill........

edit: Ahhhh the late Mr Seer...my felicitations to you as well. good sir :D

Comment

"the late Mr Seer"? Do not be confused by the smell, sir. I am very much alive.

D...

Comment

Ahaaa...my apologies, good sir, I meant not late lamented, more like late lamentable...or do I presume too much on such short acquaintance....I fear my attempts at humour are oft misinterpreted.....my wit, such as it is is a poor thing, but mine own...

*takes a draught from his mysteriously replenished flask*

Should I presume that it is your self-confessed longwindedness that is the source of the odour then? :lol:

Comment

Re: Hail, fellows, and well met!

Originally posted by Strider
              Well, if'n yer up ta makin' an agin' English eccentric welcome, I might just pop in now an' again ta share me wisdom a
              Let me add to the welcome wagon.

By the way, I've read some people who have characterized MM as an English eccentric, too. (I really need to find those reviews, because I know someone is going to ask who wrote that.)

Comment

Eccentrics are always welcome!
                Kind regrads,
                L'Etranger
                Google ergo sum

Comment

Good day Sir Strider and welcome!

Comment

Enter Strider stage right....

Mornin'/afterrnoon/evenin' all (delete timezone as applicable), 'tis welcome ye all are to me 'umble thread :D

*doffs cap and bows to the fair lady*

'ope the mornin's as beautiful with you as it is up 'ere, milady, though it must be said it always rains when I visit yer fair town :(

Well, best be gettin' the place squared up, there's bits o' code all over the place, somebody dropped a smiley be'ind the sofa, an' I dunno who left that img thing there....might be gettin' more visitor's...gotta keep the place tidy fer 'em, eh?

Exit Strider in search of space

Comment

Should I presume that it is your self-confessed longwindedness that is the source of the odour then? :lol:
                      For my sins, I am a card-carrying vegetarian. That card is made from cabbage and kidney beans... hence the odour. I've brought an air freshener for the arm chair, but I'm not sure there are enough fresh pines in the Empire for this sort of job.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't be so quick to tidy up if I were you... as soon as Elric strides sardonically onto the silver screen we'll be up to our URLs in sugar-hyped Harry Potters. This is the time to be placing your breakables in storage and hiding your sleeping cousins somewhere with adequate fire-proofing.

D...

Comment

Enter Strider practicing his sardonic stride

Nope...better stick ta my unprepossessing lurch...

Mornin' DCS....just the man...I'm a bit of a lazy beggar at 'eart, ta save me perusing all the Elric movie threads, could ya bring an old man up ta speed....what's the latest skinny on this forthcoming feast o' the senses? I've kinda been out o' the Moorcockian loop fer a while :(

Exit Strider in dulce jubilo

Comment

Question to BERRY:
                          I don't know how it is technically done, but couldn't we a drum salute and horns (cornets?) to underscore Strider entering and exiting? Something Elizabethan or so. That dimension is yet missing, methinks.

Thanks in advance for your kind answer, I remain
                          Your obliged servant,
                          L'Etranger
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

Enter Strider....to an ominous silence.....

Aw, shucks.....a few bars o' 'Entry of the Gladiators', perchance.......or 'Send in the Clowns', maybe? :oops:

Exit Strider in a blaze of glory

Comment

'ope the mornin's as beautiful with you as it is up 'ere, milady, though it must be said it always rains when I visit yer fair town :(
                              Aye, a fine day it is my lord. 'appen my Warring town is cursed with rain. But sorcery can hold it back at least for a little while.

Comment

Working...
                              X