Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Oldie/Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldie/Newbie

I have not read anything by Mr. Moorcock in years. Probably 20 or so. I can still picture Tanelorn. I can still picture the raiders, led by Elric, invading Melibourne, (Did I even spell that right?).

I am curious. What is it about this story that would captivat a 42 year old woman, with baggage?

Is it His utter lack of regard for anything other than the resolution of his quest? His release?

Welcome !

As an old reader of almost 54 years old, i read again Elric, Hawkmoon and Eternal champion sagas.

After 20 years, i took pleasure in them and rediscovered many forgotten details ...

Comment

I'd agree with MK on that. I re-read the original Science Fantasy Elric stories two years ago - so I'd have been -*cough*36*cough*- but I found them much more rewarding then I had when I was 16 and read them in The Weird of the White Wolf/The Bane of the Black Sword collections. I can't really say what it was that was different - probably the reader - but the struck a much stronger chord with me second time round.

Contrariwise, I found the Hawkmoon novels rather lacklustre upon re-reading at the same time, whereas as a teenager they were by far my favourite of Mike's novels.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
        I am so looking forward to starting from the beginning.

I don't even want to speak on the movie. If it happened, it would just be something else that I dragged my daughter to, ( to expand her horizons, of course!).

So, back to reality. I'm just a limo driver, with Elric in my past. Maybe He'll surface again in the near future.

Peace.

Comment

Greetings, Anastasia:

Welcome to the Multiverse by another fairly new arrival. I happen to be 42 as well, with more baggage then I care to check in at the ticket counter, and am re-reading many of Mike's books these days.

I think you'd find his more recent books such as Dreamthief's Daughter, The Skrayling Tree and White Wolf's Son pretty interesting, and a departure from the old swords-and-sorcery we had read years ago. His writing has changed, IMHO, and seems more deeply character and inner-monologue driven, with more poetic expression and deeper exploration of characters' thoughts.

I'd suggest catching up on some of those books. And well met!

[psst....and it's "MELNIBONة" {sorry for all caps, that's the only way I figgered out how to do the accent over the last "e"}]
          "My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night;
          But ah my foes and oh, my friends, it gives a lovely light" - Edna St Vincent Millay

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

I feel like I'm suffering from dehydration and malnutrion.
            I'm still figuring out this site, But I from Philly.
            Hopefully, your weather is stable.

Peace to you all,
            Stacie

Comment

Hi Anastasia, welcome here
              Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Welcome! I rarely question why something sticks with me for that long, because it rarely happens. I think it speaks to good writing when an athor's work resonates so long after its initial reading. I rarely find Mike's work disposable.

Comment

Hi Stacie, I'm still pretty much a new boy on the block but welcome from me as well! We all get baggage as we go thru our lives - maybe reading about Elric's helps us to forget ours?
                  Don't forget that 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything!
                  Me? I'm 48 and lovin' it.
                  He's well smoked

Comment

I second that Kipper (I'm 48 too). Certainly age doesn't seem to have been a barrier for the majority of Mike's work. Welcome aboard.

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

Working...
                    X