Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Newbie needs Elric help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs Elric help

Hey there.
    Ive been meaning to read Elric for years, and finally got some Elric books, and a buddy of mine got a job at Barnes n Nobles so he can nab a few at discount as well.
    Unfortunately im a bit confused, the multiverse I didnt know about.
    So so far ive read Elric of Melniboné and almost done with the Sailor on the sea of Fate.
    Whats next? I thought it was Weird of White wolf, vanishing tower, bane of black sword, stormbringer, end of time, and fortress of the pearl. Seems its a bit off from a site I saw.

So from another aspect, my friend said this is what they have in stock,
    Skrayling Tree, Dreamthiefs Daughter, Messiagh at End of Time, Behold the man, Breakfast in ruin, Castle Brass 1-3, City of the beast, corum 1-3, London Bone, The Steel Tsar, Runstaff 1-4, Black corridor, blood red game, brothel in rosentrassed, dancers at end of time 1-5, eternal champion, land leviathan, sundered worlds, legends from end of time, time dwellers, war hound and worlds pain, and winds of limbo......

*sweat*
    So I guess what could you suggest thats Elric dominant, so I can get a feel for Moorcock, so far so good. Then I guess branch out to coram and hawkmoon since I got a glimmer of them on the ship of fate

Welcome TheGlow.

The full order of the Elric novels is:

Elric of Melnibone
    The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
    The Fortress of the Pearl
    The Weird of the White Wolf
    The Vanishing Tower / The Sleeping Sorceress
    The Revenge of the Rose
    The Bane of the Black Sword
    Stormbringer

Elric at the End of Time is a standalone story.

You might like to scan this thread for further reading suggestions.

Another list of suggestions can be found in a different thread called The Eternal Champion: A Guide for Newbies.
    Last edited by David Mosley; 09-18-2006, 09:37 AM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Hi TheGlow. If I can add to David's (always good) reply-

Part of the confusion that comes from trying to establish a reading order for the Elric stories stems from their publication order. The most glaring are Fortress of the Pearl and Revenge of the Rose.

If you still are intrigued by Elric, you can also try the trilogy that begins with The Dreamthief's Daughter, followed by The Skrayling Tree and The White Wolf's Son. You can also find Elric: The Making of a Sorceror from DC comics.

Having said that, I would suggest trying something new from Mike after you get your Elric fix. Regardless, best of luck with your reading, and I hope you stick around here.

Comment

Nod, Because I love long epics. I like to read something and have to drop a few weeks or months into it.
        I was a little shocked about how much smaller the Elric books seemed to be, but I like the dialogue and what not being all proper, good sir, Hurrah.

But in general ive read the Sword of truth, wheel of time, game of thrones, dark tower, all the Drizzt stuff, Other Salvatore stuff, etc. And then usually after every big series ill read a classic or educational book to keep it legit. ;)

Comment

If you really like long epics and want to challenge yourself, you could have a go at the entire Eternal Champion saga all at once.

Only kidding of course. One of the things you'll probably find out about Mike is that a tremendous amount of trees have died for his words

Hopefully you find Elric a good change of pace from your normal reading. I suspect you'll recognize a bit of Elric in the anti-heroes of some of the series you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
            If you really like long epics and want to challenge yourself, you could have a go at the entire Eternal Champion saga all at once.

Only kidding of course.

I did this.

Highly recommended.
            The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Holy cow, Kamelion! Didn't you say that The War Amongst the Angels blew your mind. I suspect this helped blow a gasket or two, as well.

How long did it take?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                Holy cow, Kamelion! Didn't you say that The War Amongst the Angels blew your mind. I suspect this helped blow a gasket or two, as well.
                It was indeed a long, strange trip. I had read some Elric in high school but for some reason didn't read any more of Mike's stuff for years and years. Eventually I ran across the omnibus volumes, so I started collecting them. It took me a while to get them all, but once I had the lot, I just dove right in and haven't really looked back since.

How long did it take?
                I can't remember exactly. I am sure that I was reading the first volumes a couple of months before my daughter's first birthday (Sept 2002) and I found a post at the old Q&A boards (via the magic of the Wayback Machine) that says I finished the series just before Xmas 2002 (under my real name of Mark). So that means it took me about 6 months. Even at my voracious reading rate, that seems a little fast, but the dates all match up so I guess it could be right. A bit mad, really...

Comment

Yes, yes, welcom The Glow Plenty o'room, have fun!

Originally posted by David Mosley
                  Welcome TheGlow.

The full order of the Elric novels is:

Elric of Melnibone
                  The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
                  The Fortress of the Pearl
                  The Weird of the White Wolf
                  The Vanishing Tower / The Sleeping Sorceress
                  The Revenge of the Rose
                  The Bane of the Black Sword
                  Stormbringer

You might like to scan this thread for further reading suggestions.
                  You list 'Sailor' then 'Fortress,' The Thread lists 'Fortress' then 'Sailor.'

Dunno if it makes a diff, overly. Elric's on 'walk about' in both anyway.

I'm reading the series again right now and I did it 'Fortress' and am now in the middle of 'Sailor.
                  Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Originally posted by DeepFixer
                    You list 'Sailor' then 'Fortress,' The Thread lists 'Fortress' then 'Sailor.'
                    That's what happens when you try to compile these lists from memory. You're quite right - officially Fortress precedes Sailor.

My apologies.
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I read it in the correct order when I read it David, strange to see it isn't.

Welcome, TheGlow. Sounds like you got a good selection to choose from there. Far better than the only bookshop of any consequence (Waterstones) where I live. Good to hear you're enjoying Elric, I predict you'll end up addicted to all his incarnations. I did!
                      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                        That's what happens when you try to compile these lists from memory. You're quite right - officially Fortress precedes Sailor.

My apologies.
                        No sweat, mon!

Acutally, with my crap memory, I shouldn't be talking!!!!

'Cause . . . . . . .uhh . . . . . . .what was the topic? . . . . .
                        Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Ahh my man doesnt have anything under Revenge of the Rose.
                          What omninus or compilation might it be in?
                          I guess ill have to go down there and thumb through them all.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGlow
                            Ahh my man doesnt have anything under Revenge of the Rose.
                            What omninus or compilation might it be in?
                            I guess ill have to go down there and thumb through them all.
                            It's in the Stormbringer omnibus from Millenium or the Elric: the Stealer of Souls omnibus from White Wolf. Plus it was released as a novel in its own right, iirc. It will also apparently be compiled in the Del Rey editions next year.

Comment

I take it you're in the US TheGlow? Cos your mates discount would come in very handy for me. I recently had my house burgled and they took my ENTIRE book collection. I had every book in the Eternal Champion series and a few standalones too, not to mention all my Pratchett,Eddings and Donaldson, Doc Smith and Bova. I now have many hours Internet trawling and 2nd hand book shop trawling to replace them all. Looks like I'm going to be working a helluva lot of overtime to get all my escapist worlds back again.

Comment

Working...
                              X