Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Servus, Gruezi und Hallo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servus, Gruezi und Hallo...

... or more precisely, and in the words of Howard Carpendale: Hello again.
    It would seem the multiverse had a major overhaul since my last visit. Looks very nice - although: I had to register again *bickerbickerbicker* - which is a good thing of course .

So greetings to Mike and all the members from a very sunny and warm Franconia .

Welcome again
    Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Originally posted by Deus Ex Saurion
      It would seem the multiverse had a major overhaul since my last visit. Looks very nice - although: I had to register again *bickerbickerbicker* - which is a good thing of course .
      Hi DES - if you can remember your former MWM account name I can merge the two accounts into one for you.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Welcome back !

Comment

Yes indeed, welcome back (although I wouldn't have been here 'before' but I guess I can still welcome you )
          Cheers,

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
            Hi DES - if you can remember your former MWM account name I can merge the two accounts into one for you.
            Cool. That's what I call service. ;o)
            If my memory serves me right (and it generally doesn't), my original nickname was Mustardmachine.

Thanks for the warm re-welcome, btw, and thanks for being so helpful, DavMos .

Comment

Hi, Deus Ex!
              Franconia, eh? So you are spared a papal visit, lucky you!
              Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                Hi, Deus Ex!
                Franconia, eh? So you are spared a papal visit, lucky you!
                Hahahaaa - La Pappa prefers to visit safe shores. Bavaria is sure to cheer. Franconia is too protestantic. I for one am quite relieved he won't be visiting us - all that religious fuss is just so annoying.

Oh, and all Bavarians who feel the same are welcome to seek refuge in enlightened Franconia .

Bundesland Franken.

Comment

Cool. That's what I call service. ;o)
                  If my memory serves me right (and it generally doesn't), my original nickname was Mustardmachine.

Thanks for the warm re-welcome, btw, and thanks for being so helpful, DavMos .
                  Afraid I can't find a 'Mustardmachine' in the members list, so perhaps you registered under a different name?

There is a Mustardhead registered, but I'd need you to confirm the email address you used to register the old account to ensure we don't merge two different people's accounts by mistake. (I'm thinking though that that's someone else's account however.)

You can email me privately through the forum by clicking on my user name if you don't want to give the information out publically.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                    Afraid I can't find a 'Mustardmachine' in the members list, so perhaps you registered under a different name?

There is a Mustardhead registered, but I'd need you to confirm the email address you used to register the old account to ensure we don't merge two different people's accounts by mistake. (I'm thinking though that that's someone else's account however.)

You can email me privately through the forum by clicking on my user name if you don't want to give the information out publically.
                    I faintly remember it was Senfmaschine ...
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

Indeed, LE. I've tracked it down through Google and this [broken link]cached copy of a thread DExSa contributed to under his old moniker.

It looks like as well as a number of threads/posts/images that we lost when the old site was hacked, we also lost some user accounts as well, of which it would appear Senfmaschine was one.

Now, if only there were some way of harvesting that Google cache and importing it back into the new forums.
                      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 04:36 AM.

Comment

No worries.

To Fremder: Your memory works better than mine. Of course it was Senfmaschine - you know, the tendency in the German language towards americanisms/anglicanisms often confuses me.

To DavMos (I so like that blending of your name): Cheers for your help, mate. Makes me think of why I joined this community in the first place.

Comment

Hahahaaa - La Pappa prefers to visit safe shores. Bavaria is sure to cheer. Franconia is too protestantic. I for one am quite relieved he won't be visiting us - all that religious fuss is just so annoying.

Oh, and all Bavarians who feel the same are welcome to seek refuge in enlightened Franconia .

Bundesland Franken.
                          My German is poor, but I thought Franconia was part of Bayern. The last time I was in Bavaria my German got me understood, but the guy I was talking to said the Franconian dialect was hard to understand, never mind the Bavarian language.
                          Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Napoleon glued large parts of Franconia to Bavaria, hitherto a principality, to create the Kingdom of Bavaria. Franconia has a different culture in nearly all aspects: language, food, religion, history etc. So, for instance, Dürer was a native Frank and cannot be claimed by the Bavarians. There are three main strands of dialect which can be difficult to understand, but so are several of the regionally very different Bavarian dialects. In rare occasions we subtitle certain passages of documentaries at my station, Bavarian TV, but wouldn't dare to so, I guess, with Franconian idiom to avoid boosting separationist movements (FPLF Franconian Peoples' Liberation Front and its rival FBDL Franconian Beerdrinkers for Liberation or the Hooligans of FC Nürnberg).
                            Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                              Napoleon glued large parts of Franconia to Bavaria, hitherto a principality, to create the Kingdom of Bavaria. Franconia has a different culture in nearly all aspects: language, food, religion, history etc. So, for instance, Dürer was a native Frank and cannot be claimed by the Bavarians. There are three main strands of dialect which can be difficult to understand, but so are several of the regionally very different Bavarian dialects. In rare occasions we subtitle certain passages of documentaries at my station, Bavarian TV, but wouldn't dare to so, I guess, with Franconian idiom to avoid boosting separationist movements (FPLF Franconian Peoples' Liberation Front and its rival FBDL Franconian Beerdrinkers for Liberation or the Hooligans of FC Nürnberg).
                              And let's not forget the Franconian Peoples' Separatists (FPS), the Franconian Territorial Unification Cell (FTUC) and the Anti-Weisswurst Movement (AWM) which is a radical splinter group of the Pro-Bratwurst Fraction (PBF), although I have to admit the Club-Fans are hard to top.

However, people tend to forget that Franconia was once a mighty empire, having a great influence on the shape of Europe even as it is today (e.g. the whole of France is nothing more than the former West-Franconian kingdom).

Originally posted by silverhand
                              but the guy I was talking to said the Franconian dialect was hard to understand, never mind the Bavarian language.
                              It is even worse than you can imagine. Franconia alone has countless dialects with regional linguistic features that differ greatly not only from each other but even more from the national standard.
                              And all those dialects have nothing to do with Bavarian varieties, since they are a completely different people (who are even harder to understand than Franconians, I think).

So if you're planning on visiting Germany (or to be more precise Munich - it's Oktoberfest. ) - good luck.
                              Fremder - are you paying the Oktoberfest a visit, too? Coz I'm visiting a friend in Munich this weekend and we're going to shoot our lights out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X