Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Trying to buy Elric books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to buy Elric books

Greetings everyone :)

I am trying to buy Elric of Melniboné and Stormbringer books of the Tales of the Eternal Series with all the stories...

I have been to amazon.co.uk and they still have Elric but not Stormbringer. Is this book still on sale somewhere? There is a stormbringer book there but it's not from Gollancz and it repeats some of the stories from the first, and i don't understand...

ISBN: 1857983343 --- ok! :)
    ISBN: 0752809067 --- where to find?
    ISBN: 1857987438 --- why is this one different?

Welcome Galamdring!

To tackle your questions in reverse order, the 3rd book (ISBN 185798743)8) collects the original Elric novellas that Mike wrote in the early '60s and which appeared in Science Fantasy magazine. That basically means it reprints the books The Stealer of Souls (1962) and Stormbringer (1977). [An earlier edition of Stormbringer that was published in 1965 abridged the original novellas.]

There's a copy of the Stormbringer omnibus you want on eBay right now. Auction ends in 9 days 22 hrs. This includes the novels The Sleeping Sorceress and The Revenge of the Rose as well as a couple of the novellas from The Stealer of Souls collection (one of which was renamed for the omnibus).

Other than eBay your best bet to get hold of the Stormbringer Omnibus is probably to try www.abebooks.co.uk although they don't seem to have any for sale at the moment.

Good luck.
    Last edited by David Mosley; 09-01-2006, 06:13 AM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thank you,

sadly, the e-bay one only ships for UK and i live in Portugal. I will stay on the lookout, now that i know what to look for...

By the way, are there any plans to re-publish those books in the future, since a movie is being planned?

Comment

There are. In the Q&A, Mike said that all of the Elric novels will be reprinted in the US by Del Rey. They will begin appearing in about a year. A long time to wait, and not exactly the omnibus editions you are trying to find...

Comment

Originally posted by Galamdring
          sadly, the e-bay one only ships for UK and i live in Portugal. I will stay on the lookout, now that i know what to look for...
          It might be worth contacting the seller and seeing if they will ship to Portugal anyway. If you can agree it beforehand they might be happy to do it after all.

If you would like a UK go-between (ie the seller initially ships to someone in the UK and they then send the book on to you in Portugal) I'd be happy to offer my services.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Welcome Galamdring
            Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Greetings Galamdring - welcome aboard

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

Thanks... :)

By the way, how will this new edition differ from the omnibus edition i mentioned? More tales? Less? More books? Significant editing?

maybe it's still too soon to know anything...

I have seen a couple of Elric books here in book stores in Portugal... Translated... Fairly new, by a publisher called "Saida de Emergência" (Emergency Exit)... But i can't really place them on the tales mentioned on Moorcock's Wikipedia page... I suspect it's similar to that old 6 volume series... only 2 so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Galamdring
                  By the way, how will this new edition differ from the omnibus edition i mentioned? More tales? Less? More books? Significant editing?
                  Mike's intent is that they will be the 'definitive' versions of the Elric stories. They'll be different from the two Orion omnibuses you mentioned previously in that the stories will be reprinted in publication order rather than chronologically.

Elsewhere, Mike says:

I discuss the Del Rey editions on a nearby thread. We're talking about interior illustrations and lots of extra material, the books being published predominantly as published and doing one every three months so there would be six volumes, containing all the Elric material (including some short fiction and so on) up to and including The Revenge of the Rose.
                  I also hope to include scripts and so forth,
                  Vol 1 will be The Stealer of Souls and Stormbringer, plus other material.
                  Vol 2 will be short stories of Elric and those in Elric's world, including new material.
                  Vol 3 will be the second two novels
                  Vol 4 will be the the next, plus new material
                  Vol 5 will be Fortress and new material
                  Vol 6 will be Revenge and new material
                  This will all be done in consultation with my editor, Betsy Mitchell, and I am going to follow her suggestions for the most part, since she is that much further removed from the project than I am. I have two conflicting impulses -- one is to revise the stories and run them in chronological order, the other to do them as Del Rey are suggesting. I think Del Rey are right to do them this way, but I'm still fighting my other impulse and need as much help as I can get!

Comment

Working...
                  X