Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Thank You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Butch Thundercock
    Moonbeam Traveller
    • May 2021

Thank You

Thanks for letting me on here! I suffer from a debilitating anxiety disorder/depression, which has led, in the last couple of years, to me not being able to concentrate enough on a book enough to get past the first few pages - until I managed to retrieve my Moorcock collection from my mother's spare room (tiny flat/minimalist girlfriend/long story!), & started rereading the first of the Elric stories & ended up devouring them at the pace of a book every couple of days! I'm now about two thirds through my collection, still with quite a few of the newer ones to acquire (when my terrible finances allow!).
    Thank you Mr Moorcock, for helping me rediscover my love of reading, I genuinely cannot put into words how grateful I am!
    Long live Michael Moorcock, may your light never dim!
  • Rothgo
    Champion of the Unbalanced
    • Aug 2006

Hi and welcome Butch! What a lovely intro post!

Comment

• Butch Thundercock
      Moonbeam Traveller
      • May 2021

Thank you for having me, it's nice to be welcomed into a community of like minded folks & be granted access into the court of such a legendary author!

Comment

• postodave
        Citizen of Tanelorn
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Butch Thundercock View Post
        Thanks for letting me on here! I suffer from a debilitating anxiety disorder/depression, which has led, in the last couple of years, to me not being able to concentrate enough on a book enough to get past the first few pages - until I managed to retrieve my Moorcock collection from my mother's spare room (tiny flat/minimalist girlfriend/long story!), & started rereading the first of the Elric stories & ended up devouring them at the pace of a book every couple of days! I'm now about two thirds through my collection, still with quite a few of the newer ones to acquire (when my terrible finances allow!).
        Thank you Mr Moorcock, for helping me rediscover my love of reading, I genuinely cannot put into words how grateful I am!
        I have recently re-read the Hawkmoon books. They do seem to work as comfort reading, something to go back to.

Comment

• Butch Thundercock
          Moonbeam Traveller
          • May 2021

Originally posted by postodave View Post

I have recently re-read the Hawkmoon books. They do seem to work as comfort reading, something to go back to.
          Just reread them all myself, Huillam D'Averc in particular always has me laughing out loud with his sickman of Europe routine & the regular revelations of his perfect health! (Don't we all know someone like that, (never like that myself, honest!))

Comment

• zlogdan
            Hex data reader and professional pawn
            • Mar 2012

Welcome, Butch! I also suffer from anxiety/ocd and depression and currently, I am unable to focus on a book too. Back in 2011, I had this huge ocd/anxiety attack and that is when I restarted reading fiction again and reading Michael Moorcock's books was very helpful as well as finding this forum where I made many friends. Some are absent, others sadly have left us but things remain great here.
            "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
            "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• In_Loos_Ptokai
              Abrogate all rituals
              • Apr 2007

Welcome, Butch! Good to hear you found a way of stepping outside yourself and the debilitating depression. It's hell, but if you've beaten it back once, you can beat it back again. Don't give up.
              sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
              And incense the power of man with God
              But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
              And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
              by Peter Cape

Comment

• postodave
                Citizen of Tanelorn
                • Jul 2011

Just reread them all myself, Huillam D'Averc in particular always has me laughing out loud with his sickman of Europe routine & the regular revelations of his perfect health! (Don't we all know someone like that, (never like that myself, honest!))
                It's interesting to me that Oladahn is supposed to be the 'Companion to Champions' but D'Averc is in far more of the adventures. I guess Mike just realised he was a better character. He is a variation on Eeyore - oh what did I say! Well Oladahn is a hobbit I suppose. I've found the epic Pooh in Moorcock! No wonder Oladahn got short shrift! Anyway D'Averc does seem like a stock type. I wonder if there are better precedents than Eeyore. What put me onto that was Douglas Adams saying Marvin the Paranoid Android was based on Eeyore. Marvin has obvious similarities to D'Averc.

Comment

• Butch Thundercock
                  Moonbeam Traveller
                  • May 2021

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post

Welcome, Butch! I also suffer from anxiety/ocd and depression and currently, I am unable to focus on a book too. Back in 2011, I had this huge ocd/anxiety attack and that is when I restarted reading fiction again and reading Michael Moorcock's books was very helpful as well as finding this forum where I made many friends. Some are absent, others sadly have left us but things remain great here.
                  Thanks for the kind words, I'm getting there, I'm sure you know how it is!
                  Michael Moorcock's books really do drag you into their worlds, don't they, which certainly helps when you want to escape from your own.
                  Good luck to you, mate, I hope the escape this fantastic literature offers helps you as much as it does me!👍

Comment

• Butch Thundercock
                    Moonbeam Traveller
                    • May 2021

Originally posted by postodave View Post

It's interesting to me that Oladahn is supposed to be the 'Companion to Champions' but D'Averc is in far more of the adventures. I guess Mike just realised he was a better character. He is a variation on Eeyore - oh what did I say! Well Oladahn is a hobbit I suppose. I've found the epic Pooh in Moorcock! No wonder Oladahn got short shrift! Anyway D'Averc does seem like a stock type. I wonder if there are better precedents than Eeyore. What put me onto that was Douglas Adams saying Marvin the Paranoid Android was based on Eeyore. Marvin has obvious similarities to D'Averc.
                    The nature of the companions/champions does become ambiguous sometimes, doesn't it! (although it does seem that, on this occasion, Mr Moorcock must have become far more enamored of D'Averc, than Oladahn, midway through writing, and just decided to go with his heart - making the books far better in the process!)
                    Anyway, I think the Eeyore/Marvin/D'Averc type is a common enough archetype in life, let alone literature!(don't we all know someone for whom every headache is a tumour, every silver lining has a cloud, and every cloud is the start of a storm!)😉

Comment

• postodave
                      Citizen of Tanelorn
                      • Jul 2011

The nature of the companions/champions does become ambiguous sometimes, doesn't it! (although it does seem that, on this occasion, Mr Moorcock must have become far more enamored of D'Averc, than Oladahn, midway through writing, and just decided to go with his heart - making the books far better in the process!)
                      Anyway, I think the Eeyore/Marvin/D'Averc type is a common enough archetype in life, let alone literature!(don't we all know someone for whom every headache is a tumour, every silver lining has a cloud, and every cloud is the start of a storm!)😉
                      There are people like that but also people who play the part of being like that and D'Averc is playing it for all it's worth. I used to know this church secretary, and he had this hangdog expression, though he used to love marching up with his mace at the start of services looking for all the world like Harry Secombe as Mr. Bumble in Oliver. Then having done his bit he would go and sit in the office through the service and get on with his paperwork. One day he said to me, 'I prefer funerals to weddings; at least people know what they are there for.' Which I thought was a great line, and I am sure he was self aware enough to know he was playing himself in his own life story.

Comment

• Butch Thundercock
                        Moonbeam Traveller
                        • May 2021

Oh, definitely, D'Averc is surely playing a part, but he lives it so deeply, whether he knows it or not is a moot point. I'm terrible for acting like that myself, sometimes, it's possibly why he's such a fun character for me!

Comment

Working...
                        X