Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Holy Crap We're Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Crap We're Back

How long has this been up? Jesus. I've been checking the net off and on just making sure Mike is still alive.

Welcome back, Thanos. I thought the same thing when I rediscovered the live site a few weeks ago.

Comment

Same. I follow David Mosley on twitter and asked him in passing a few weeks ago if the site would ever return, and he said “oh it’s up again.” And now 2020 has a silver lining.

welcome back Thanos
      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
      --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Hi Thanos and welcome! I am new to this site, and thus curious about the forum's pre-history. Do you (any of you) know who created it, who runs it, for how long it has existed? Looking at the list of members a lot of people seems to have passed through over the years. Presently we seem to be quite few, maybe max 10 persons, if I am not mistaken?

Comment

There aren't many returned as yet, its true. Mr Fox is responsible for the current Resurrection. I can never spell his actual forum name!

Comment

I hope more people will find their way back. Seems like a gateway to a lot of exciting things.

Comment

The Fox is a great dude (with or without his powers for resurrection). Thanks, B!

In the past, traffic always ticked up when Mike would peak in. I know he’s knee deep in work right now, though.

Ironically, I think many people here are connected only through the site, so I doubt there is a great way to let people know it’s back live. I think there was a mention on Facebook, but I’m ready to be mistaken on that.

Comment

Nice to be back. Just realized I could recover my old account but by some bizarre coincidence it retired with 666 posts. I think I'll leave it that way.

Comment

Yeah I miss the old days when there were lots of us interacting with each other... mostly peacefully. Lol. I’ve made a conscious decision to stay out of Reasoned Debate. I learned my lesson ages ago on that score. I’d rather be friends with people than argue with them. That’s what Twitter is for. Lol.

I’d love to see the gang begin to filter back and pick up again. Fingers crossed.
                  "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."

Comment

Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                    Yeah I miss the old days when there were lots of us interacting with each other... mostly peacefully. Lol. I’ve made a conscious decision to stay out of Reasoned Debate. I learned my lesson ages ago on that score. I’d rather be friends with people than argue with them. That’s what Twitter is for. Lol.

I’d love to see the gang begin to filter back and pick up again. Fingers crossed.
                    Personally, I have loved being back in Reasoned Debate. I tend to not get emotionally attached to any particular ideas (except the usefulness of split-infinitives, distaste for the word "irregardless," and the efficacy of the Oxford Comma) so rarely take offense to comments and have always separated differences of opinions and perspective from personal affection. On the contrary, the Reasoned Debate is generally just that, reasoned and debate, rather than pure argument. I find it a great place to test ideas and perceptions to express whatever doubts I may have without the shit-storm of more public social media (platforms on which I am largely silent).

In any event, welcome back Thanos Shadowsage !

And, Sir Sorcerer , Reinart der Fuchs (aka Mr. Fox) is the master 'round here.
                    "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                    --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I’m a sucker for the Oxford comma... 🙂 At the risk of reminiscing about the old days, Reasoned Debate was set up because some of the discussions were taking over other sections. Berry was telling us to go to our rooms. 🤣. Seriously though, it worked so well because people were largely respectful and civil (minus a few trolls who were largely ignored or silenced.) That couldn’t be more different than the shoutfest of social media. Like EverKing I just don’t have time or energy for that, but I like reading points of view from real people who I know are reading mine (that I don’t publicly share anywhere else).

Comment

EverKing, please allow me to clarify...

I’m not good at reasoned debate. As a conservative I tend to be in the minority on this site, and I don’t always handle debates as well-nature’s as I should. They don’t bring out my best, so I have learned that I need to stay away. Usually I’m okay, but it only takes one tired and angry post on my part and I find myself phrasing things all too regrettably. I don’t like that in me, but I’ve learned that I like me better when I dodge the debates.

I love that Reasoned Debates exists here, and I love reading what everyone posts. But I guess I’m not good at reasoned debate. One bad nights sleep and I switch too easily to Passionate Argument. So I’m learning to listen, to read without commenting and hear what people are saying without trying to make them see the world as I do. For those that know me... that’s a bit novel for me. But also kind of freeing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                          EverKing, please allow me to clarify...

I’m not good at reasoned debate. As a conservative I tend to be in the minority on this site, and I don’t always handle debates as well-nature’s as I should. They don’t bring out my best, so I have learned that I need to stay away. Usually I’m okay, but it only takes one tired and angry post on my part and I find myself phrasing things all too regrettably. I don’t like that in me, but I’ve learned that I like me better when I dodge the debates.

I love that Reasoned Debates exists here, and I love reading what everyone posts. But I guess I’m not good at reasoned debate. One bad nights sleep and I switch too easily to Passionate Argument. So I’m learning to listen, to read without commenting and hear what people are saying without trying to make them see the world as I do. For those that know me... that’s a bit novel for me. But also kind of freeing as well.
                          Makes sense to me and it shows a self-awareness I fear is sadly missing in many these days. I understand your reticence as a conservative as I have traditionally been more conservative leaning that many online and on this site (although that has been moderating in recent years). Still, the gist is that I am glad we are all back--Reasoned Debate or not!
                          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Reasoned Debate existed mainly as a means to keep the arguments in the one optional place: most folks never saw them and so never cared. If the bad vibes leaked out then they were quickly stuffed back in. There were problems of course: the assumption of the "left wingers" that their POV was universal - at least amongst those that mattered; the "I'm right regardless" vibe of the "right wingers"; the never-solvable problems of gun control or wilful misrepresentation of criticism of Israel as clear evidence of anti-semiticism. The mods took the stance of never getting involved in the 'debates' themselves; but rather just to watch the anger-meter and try to apply a cold-compress whenever it was needed.

Comment

Working...
                            X