Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

hello all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello all!

Hi. I'm a longtime fan of the Elric books and Mr. Moorcock's fiction worldview in general. I recently picked up the Elric of Melnibone audiobook for my long commutes and now I'm reading the newest trilogy.

I'm from Lovecraft's Providence, Rhode Island where the receeding edges are still a bit chaotic.

My first question (after searching the FAQs and reading the rules) is there any origin story of Stormbringer? I was watching a history channel episode about samurai swordmaking, with stories how the master swordsmith's would meditate for a year under a waterfall before forging a sword, and thought of the origin of Stormbringer and Mournblade.

Have there been any accounts of how demon/sword were folded together? Perhaps some treachery from an ancient Melnibonean emperor. Black Carbon was folded into steel by ancient swordsmiths, and I thought it would be great to read an account of how the Black Demon essense had been folded into a sword, perhaps at first as a flattery, but in fact, as a cruel Melnibonean trick or trap? Or a story of how the blades end up in the pulsing cavern?

Anyway. Let me know if such a tale exists, I'd love to read it, or hear what Mr. Moorcock has to say about the subject.

Thanks!

Black Meteor (William)

Welcome William, or Black Meteor if you prefer
    Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Hello and Welcome, black_meteor!

That is a wonderful question!

I don't remember reading anything about that in detail.

That is a good one for the Q&A.

you have me thinking now,

thanks,

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Black Meteor (or William) cross-posted his question to the Elric Q&A Archive, so I've moved it to the main Q&A forum where there's a greater chance of Mike seeing it.

Welcome to the Multiverse, BM.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
        X