Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Is there Moorcock fans in Valence, France ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there Moorcock fans in Valence, France ?

Hello !

As I work (and spend a lot of boring times alone or with boring people) in VALENCE, France (South of Lyon) all the week along, I would like to know if there is Moorcock, RPG, litterature or music fans in this deserted city near the mountains...(or in the country)
    I throw this bottle hoping an answer - I need roleplayers to wander through the Young Kingdoms or artistic exchange !!! I sometimes visit the MWM forums, but I don't have Internet at home, so it's not easy...
    A bientأ´t peut-أ?tre !
    Colwin Lyber, meta temporal journeyman
    "Wherever I may roam..."

Ah Colwin, it appears there are no fans there that visit this site.

Sorry. We will listen to all you have to say though. :D
    When they had advanced together to meet on common
    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Yes, and I didn't have much hope... so as soon as I can I will take a walk in the forum and discuss a little with the bystanders...
      See you soon !

Comment

Hi Colwyn,

I really like your name and avatar, very evocative. :P

Your avatar is cool too VonWeiner. :)

Comment

Thx Mouser. Anyone who loves Lieber is a friend of mine!

I am always changing my Avatar, but I might hang on to this one for a bit.

Elric looks evil and powerful. He would scare me. Maybe not Fafhrd & the Mouser though. They escaped Death after all!

I have a ton of Nehwon pics too. I wouldn't put up a Mouser out of respect for you. Maybe Fafhrd though.

I read in here you are a rpg'er. I based my old AD&D character on Fafhrd. His name was Skoaden Beaden Boaden, just Skoaden for short (we played with a sense of humor) He was kinda nordic, fought with two wpns, very strong. My friend's guy was named Dimitrius and was small and a little wild (Choatic Nuetral) and a great fighter. He fought with two weapons as well. We created these guys without even thinking of Lieber, at least not consciously.

Ah well, very old school, early eighties, d20, 1st edition, AD&D gamer here. I am like a relic huh?

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Originally posted by VonWeiner
            Ah well, very old school, early eighties, d20, 1st edition, AD&D gamer here. I am like a relic huh?
            Me too, VonWeiner :) In those days I had a pair of characters based on F and GM. Fafhrd was a Ranger and GM a thief. Ahh, innocent days for sure.

Comment

We were two rangers until my friend got nasty too many times with NPCs, so our DM changed his alignment from CG to CN. This stripped him of his ranger status. He retained those abilities he had already gained/learned, but progressed as a fighter from then on. Our DM was fanatical about alignment.
              We had many other players in our group, but Skoaden and Dimitrius were the "leaders" it always seemed.

Yes, very innocent days.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Sorry to post twice so quickly, but could someone give me a link or explain the MUD thing to me.

I know there used to be (and still are) many mods for game engines that run D&D type games (they had or have them for the quakeI and II engine, lithtech, unreal, etc...).

I went to the MUD thread but felt outta my element. Wasn't sure if this is what you guys are talking about. MUD-NOOB!! :?

Assume I am someone who knows nothing of MUDs. What can you tell me and how can I participate?

I might send this over to ThanosShadowSage's thread. He is the MUD-God! :)

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
                  Hi Colwyn,

I really like your name and avatar, very evocative. :P

Your avatar is cool too VonWeiner. :)
                  Lyber is a warped version (with the "y") of the latin word "liber" meaning at once "free", "child", and "book" : three of the more beautiful names a man can have... I really like Fritz LEIBER's books, but I did never realize it was his name !!! If I only could have the same talent... His two characters are two of the most evocative individualities of fantasy litterature...
                  Colwin Lyber is my character when I master Stormbringer or Hawkmoon ; he's a multiverse wanderer who tries to write a book recensing all stories of the Eternal champion, a sort of scribe-journeyman... he's not a true PC, he's just a "deus ex machina" when I need to help or amaze or puzzle the players...
                  My avatar is an unknown author's illustration found by a friend of mine for Colwin Lyber. Von Weiner seems a warrior, I'm just a kind of minstrel... :lol:
                  I never played D&D - I began roleplay 1994 with Pendragon (:)) Stormbringer( :D ) and ... Vampire (:oops: ). I have tried Baldur's Gate ; but it's not as fun as real roleplaying ; for the MUDs, I never tried ; don't know if it's worth it...

Comment

I've forgotten something, so I'm back !

Did someone see the french version of Hawkmoon RPG ? I know it's in french, but it's a true jewel... The guys have adapted and expended the US version and the Hawkmoon world to an incredible result !!! Play with it for seven years, and I did not explore the tenth of the background...

Thanks for the compliments, and see you on my next travel in your countries !

Comment

Hi Colwyn,

No wonder your forum name is so evocative it includes so many resonances.

I've played Pendragon and Stormbringer and think they are both superb game systems. Is the Vampire game you mentioned Masquerade by White Wolf?

Comment

Yes, it's the White Wolf RPG, and I never trully had fun playing it - maybe because of the players - I had a great gamemaster (Anne Rice and Bram Stoker's works accurate reader) but players were a bit too... immature, unartistic...
                        I mastered a Stormbringer campaign from 1996 to august 2003 (but life currently prevents some new sessions for my campaign)... I'm always, as a gamemaster, disappointed by the majority of players ; RPG is a mean to play and have fun, but I think above all it can be a form of art ; we can as with litterature create stories, or, as written by Moorcock, myths who can help us to understand and live our lives... The world and stories of my RPG campaigns try to have a signification... It doesn't prevent players from having fun (mostly by giving a destiny to their characters...).
                        Pendragon is the ideal game (in its structure) for all this... But I really like the Multiverse...

Comment

I thought the WW Masquerade game had a lot of symbolic depth to it, which probably gets lost if the subject matter is interpreted too literally as a straight vampire story (as perhaps the classics like the Anne Rice books may well do). I've read a credible interpretation of vampirism in Bram Stoker's Dracula as symbolic of sexually transmited diseases, which would probably have given the stories more resonance in the age they were written - but that doesn't approach the level of mythic resonance you're talking about here. I can understand why you like Mike's Multiverse stuff because it's replete with resonances at the mythic level you are describing.

The thing I liked about the Pendragon was the passage of the years and the changes that the Player's Characters go through as they age, their personalities deteriorate or improve according to the actions they perform and the decisions they make in game, and sometimes fate takes over when the character has a strong trait or passion. It was an epic game, and certainly has a legendary feel to it, but once again perhaps, it lacks the mythic resonance that Mike's Multiverse millieu contains.

Running a Stormbringer campaign for 7 years is a remarkable acheivement and speaks well of your skills as a Games Master. Did you find yourself amending the combat system slightly, as taken literally from Stormbringer it was quite lethal for non-sorcerors I thought. I ran an Elric campaign for a year, which ws well recieved but nowhere near as long running as your Stormbringer one. You'll have to let me in on the secret one day, maybe. :)

Comment

Hello, I'm back for a very little while - after a long departure...
                            Just a few words to answer Grey Mouser :
                            Yes I changed a little the combat system by including elements from other games ; but my players were... protected (?) by Chaos Lords !
                            :twisted: I played from 40 to 50 sessions (the longest was the end of first part of the campaign, which lasted 12 hours...) but the campaign itself knew some interruptions (the whole year 1999, parts of the two first years) and it reaches its climax in 1998 and 2001-2002 (one session a month). The first part of the campaign was a prologue (one year of play and 12-15 sessions) which was the strongest game I ever runned : my characters (a semi-Melnibonean slave fleeing to the Purple Towns initied to sorcellery by his dying Melnibonean father ; a Purple Towns sailor named Hackab (see the reference? he's a Achab after Moby Dick) ; a renegade Warrior-Priest of Mabelode from Pan Tang, and some other who aren't so important are setted on the trail of a book, written by a mysterious Jehamiah Cohnalias, describing in five poems the path to Tanelorn. They began to follow the track, and pass by five different worlds : a strange arthurian world, then New York in 2063 (cyberpunk and all this crap), then the Eighth Plane ( through a video game) then the world of the Ice Schooner, then a ruined world ruled by rats-men... The following is surprising, but I do not have the time to tell it... I'll come back another day... Cheers ! :D

Comment

A seven year campaign set in six different planes, the original plus the five others, is amazing. A lot of time must have gone into creating the content for all that. Did you borrow elements from other games (like Cyberpunk) to help flesh out the background for the various planes or did you go the path of developing your own stuff? For some reason that ruined world ruled by rat-men strikes a chord with me more than the others. Did you have the whole thing worked out before you began or did it evolve from your players reactions? Perhaps a bit of both I guess. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X