Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hello everyone. Help please!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone. Help please!!!!

Hi all, i'm brand new to the site and relatively new to Mr Moorcocks work. I read a couple of Elric books about 20 yrs ago and loved them but never followed them up.

I now want to start reading all of the Elric books, but where do i start? i was thinking of starting with the new books that are coming out as they will be easier to obtain rather than the old series. plus i gather that they are definitive and in order. Are the books being published in reading order?? I'm very confused by it all and thats just with Elric what about all the other stuff??

Ive trawled the internet but everyone has different reading orders. they even conflict on here.

Any help in this matter be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dave

For what it's worth Dave, my recommendation would be to read them in the order in which they were written. Then you get the Elric's story as Mike saw it developing plus you get to see how his writing style matured over time as well.

PV

And welcome to the site too.

Comment

Dave, perhaps you will find the advice you see in this thread, the suggested reading order: http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=3562
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Welcome Dave! I had read Elric Of Melniboné around 12 years ago then last year I finally had the guts to read the Elric Omnibus, where the stories where organized chronologically and not in the order Moorcock wrote them.

I would say that it would be perhaps better to follow the advises of our friends here, e.g, read them in the order where they were written and not the way the omnibus was organized.
        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Bienvenue

Welcome to the Miscellany, Dave.

You have two ways :
          order of writtring,
          or order of publishing.

I can mistake, but I think order of publishing is the best way.
          But, it is only my point of view.
          Papi

Comment

Does it help any if I say that there is absolutely NO 'correct' reading order for Mike's books?

The idea, fostered by countless fantasy/SF series, that there is a single, linear order in which books should, even need, to be read is anathema to what Angela Carter called the "grand messy flux" that is the sprawl we know as Moorcock's Multiverse.

That's why not only aren't the new books being published 'in order' (the first three Elric books being issued - collectively The Moonbeam Roads - were the last three written and in any case don't form part of the 'classic' Elric Saga proper) but I'm willing to bet you won't find any sort of over-arching numerical system on the individual books themselves.

Obviously within any particular series - such as Elric - there is a chronological order to the individual books that comprise it and while porcus_volus is correct - that is, I agree with him - that the 'best' way to read the Elric stories is in the order that Mike wrote them that's not generally how they're published (even the US Del Rey series deviated from a pure "As-Written" order) so that method does involve a great deal of 'heavy lifting' on the part of the reader to put them in 'publication order'.

Fortunately, the later (or do I mean earlier?) Elric books are being published as per the 'classic' order with The Fortress of the Pearl and The Revenge of the Rose being interpolated in their appropriate chronological positions so you should be fine to pick up those books as they're published by Gollancz. As for the other series, read them in whatever order seems best to you.
            Last edited by David Mosley; 02-28-2013, 08:36 AM.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I think I'd advise reading the classic first story arch (found in Stealer of Souls and Stormbringer and published together here), which contains all the stories found in the original sage here, and maybe the novel Elric of Melniboné (which you could either read first or after as a prequel) - after which I think you could dip in and out as you like, although my preference is to roughly follow the publication date as I prefer the earlier extended saga, rather than the later books, although there are many people who prefer the later Elric tales... it's all a matter of tastes... Personally I'd leave Sailor on the Seas of Fate until you've read a few of Mike's other Eternal Champion books (Hawkmoon and Corum at least) and are more familiar with Elric, as I personally think it's a confusing novel to read if you tackle it too soon.

I don't blame you for being confused... the Elric books have been reorganised in many different orders depending upon the publisher, which makes things more difficult than it was 20-30 years ago when I first read them, back in the day when the books were individually available. Tbh you'll get as many different answers to this question as there are Elric readers... my guess is choose whichever order makes sense to you (roughly chronological or roughly publication) and roughly stick with it, but not to worry about it too much. When I was reading the Elric books I only read Elric of Melniboné until after I read the rest because I just couldn't find a copy and it didn't harm the reading experience at all. That said, I read Sailor on the Seas of Fate first, which wasn't a good idea... leave that one until later... much later imo!

Good luck!
              forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
              2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
              3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
                hat said, I read Sailor on the Seas of Fate first, which wasn't a good idea... leave that one until later... much later imo!

Good luck!
                Yeah that is a good tip!

"From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                  Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
                  hat said, I read Sailor on the Seas of Fate first, which wasn't a good idea... leave that one until later... much later imo!

Good luck!
                  Yeah that is a good tip!

It was my second Moorcock book that I read (my first was Sojan) and I have to admit I didn't have a clue what was going on! Admittedly I was only 12 years old, so maybe it might have made more sense for an adult, but I still think it has a pretty steel learning curve for all but the most persistent of readers! My next book was the old Bane of the Black Sword collection and I felt on much safer ground with that one!
                  forum

Comment

Here's an interesting article I found that might have some helpful suggestions: Where to start with fantasy overlord Michael Moorcock
                    The ubiquity and influence of Elric belies one of the series’ most intimidating aspects: its odd relationship with time. Moorcock has written his Elric books without a strict chronological sequence, which can be maddening to those who are used to more conventional, easier-to-follow fantasy series. But that contorted timeline is one of Elric’s most beguiling aspects, and it adds to the dreamlike, otherworldly (make that multi-worldly) nature of the character and his milieu.
                    I, for one, welcome our new fantasy overlord.

Btw, to back up TEA's comments, I think it's pertinent that Mike's 'recommended' order for the 1993-4 UK omnibus series goes: Erekosë, Hawkmoon, Corum and then Elric.
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks all for the replies, i think i have a better understanding now. I think i'll follow your advice initially Assassin and then just find my own way according to the books availability etc. Excited already and the journey hasnt even started yet

Comment

First book ordered

Thanks again all!!!

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                          Btw, to back up TEA's comments, I think it's pertinent that Mike's 'recommended' order for the 1993-4 UK omnibus series goes: Erekosë, Hawkmoon, Corum and then Elric.
                          That probably does make good sense, especially if reading Elric in chronological order as was the case with those omnibuses... My only problem with that order is it leaves best till last, which could be a good thing too (something to look forward to...), and to my mind Erekose was something of a chore to wade through...

I think my classic EC reading order would go: original Elric saga > Hawkmoon > Corum (first trilogy) > extended Elric saga > second Corum > Erekose > Castle Brass... then the later Elric books and whatever bits I may have missed... I never really felt Von Bek, Nomad or Dancers were vital to the EC universe, although that's not to say they're not great books (indeed I consider all of them superior to all the classic EC books I've mentioned with the only possible exception of those early Elric tales), they just they don't quite fit the epic fantasy of Elric, Hawkmoon et al, so I see them as something tangential... I'm possibly on my own with that one...
                          forum

Comment

I think i'm starting to understand all this a little better. From what i gather all the books are linked in some way and fit into the whole " Eternal Champion " saga?? I think i will start this chronologically i.e with Von Bek!!!

Only downside to this is alot of reading until i reach Elric! :(

Ordered all books up to Sailing to Utopia. Thank God for Ebay, i imagine my local shops would struggle to get them or it would cost a fortune!!

Once again thanks for your help and sharing your time with me!!

Dave

Comment

The Von Bek stories are amazing... A great place to start! They don't massively fit into the wider Eternal Champion meta-storyline until the later Elric tales, but they're some of Mike's best fantasies imo.
                              forum

Comment

Working...
                              X