Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hello from Japan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conrad
    Denizen of Moo Uria
    • Mar 2012

Hello from Japan!

Hello All,

My name is Conrad and I've been living in Nagoya Japan since 1988. I work at a city run public commercial high school and local university teaching basic communication skills.

During the school breaks I do freelance E<>J translation for local magazines and TV stations.

My hobbies include reading, averaging around book a week, zipping around the country on my Kawasaki, been to every prefecture at least twice except Okinawa, and doing naginata, a Japanese martial art involving a polearm and sword.

Now to the important part of the introduction.

I found out about this site purely by accident when I did a search for Mr. Mookcock on the Internet. I am very glad that is did as there seems to be wealth of information here on one of my favorite authors.

My favorite series by Mr. Moorcock is The Elric Saga. Basically I enjoy the concept and the characters. I first read the series when I was still in Canada. I've just recently purchased the Del Ray printing of the series and am enjoying becoming reacquainted with it.

Hope to learn lots, contribute some and throughly enjoy this forum.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Have a wonderful weekend.

Sincerely,
    Conrad
    Last edited by Conrad; 03-16-2012, 04:07 AM.
  • Governor of Rowe Island
    Orgone Accumulator
    • Aug 2004

Welcome to the Miscellany, Conrad. The threads relating to it are in the back pages of the Q&A somewhere, but a call was put out to the members of this site for any material we thought might warrant inclusion in the Del Rey reissues.

Don't forget to follow the links in my signature.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Papi
      Champion of the Balance
      • Oct 2007

Bienvenue

Welcome to the Miscellany, Conrad.

Here, there is a lot of fans, including me, who love Elric's saga !

Sorry for my english and french governement.
      Papi

Comment

• Conrad
        Denizen of Moo Uria
        • Mar 2012

Hello Gov. and Papi,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate it very much.

Papi
        For me, Elric's saga is one of the best that I've read. Mr. Moorcock's other books are enjoyable but for some reason Elric is the one that clicks the most with me.

Gov.
        I spent a good amount of time looking through your links and found them completely enjoyable. The Brom artwork, "The Warrior in Jet and Gold" is one i remember seeing long ago.

Thanks again and looking forward to enjoying the company.

Have a great weekend.

Sincerely,
        Conrad

Comment

• thingfish
          sairfecht
          • Sep 2007

Welcome aboard Conrad!

Im sure you will find plenty here to check out!

Enjoy!!
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Octo Seven
            Aklo Tagger
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Conrad View Post
            Hello All,

My name is Conrad and I've been living in Nagoya Japan since 1988. I work at a city run public commercial high school and local university teaching basic communication skills.

During the school breaks I do freelance E<>J translation for local magazines and TV stations.

My hobbies include reading, averaging around book a week, zipping around the country on my Kawasaki, been to every prefecture at least twice except Okinawa, and doing naginata, a Japanese martial art involving a polearm and sword.

Now to the important part of the introduction.

I found out about this site purely by accident when I did a search for Mr. Mookcock on the Internet. I am very glad that is did as there seems to be wealth of information here on one of my favorite authors.

My favorite series by Mr. Moorcock is The Elric Saga. Basically I enjoy the concept and the characters. I first read the series when I was still in Canada. I've just recently purchased the Del Ray printing of the series and am enjoying becoming reacquainted with it.

Hope to learn lots, contribute some and throughly enjoy this forum.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Have a wonderful weekend.

Sincerely,
            Conrad
            Welcome to the site :) Funnily enough, I also read Elric for the first time in Canada.

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
              gefangener fuchs
              • May 2006

Welcome to the Miscellany Conrad. I do hope you stick around for a while.
              Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• Conrad
                Denizen of Moo Uria
                • Mar 2012

Hello,

Thanks for the warm welcome thingfish, Octo and Reinart. I appreciate it very much.

Yes, there is a wealth of information here and I am throughly enjoying getting lost in it. I plan on sticking around for a long time, so hopefully I'm not too boring.

Where in Canada did you first read Elric? Mine was in Saskatchewan on the morning school bus to pass the two-hour ride.

Thanks again and hope to talk again soon.

Sincerely,
                Conrad

Comment

• L'Etranger
                  Veteran Moorcockista
                  • Dec 2003

Hey, Conrad, you're most welcome! We have too few contributers from your neck of the woods. Look around and I am sure you'll find enough stuff and brain fodder for entertaining forum hours.
                  And please don't hesitate to ask questions if you need to to know anything. There's the Q&A section too, with an enormously long history of questions plus many surprising, startling and uncompromising anwers
                  Cheers, L'Etranger
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

• Conrad
                    Denizen of Moo Uria
                    • Mar 2012

I am very glad to here and the information contained on this site is indeed daunting, but in a where do I start first way.

One possible reason that there are few from this part of the planet might be because the language of the forum is English. But I did notice a few people on here from my neck of the woods, albeit the other side of the forest.

Reinart, If your drive with Kizuna is still going would you mind if I posted a link to it on Facebook? It might get more exposure for the cause. Also, I noticed Amazon Japan isn't listed as a supplier: Any chance of getting it on there?
                    I've contacted Amazon Japan and asked for them to get a book listed a few times and was somewhat successful.
                    Also, where and what are you doing in Japan?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Have a good one all.

Sincerely,
                    Conrad

Comment

• Kymba334
                      Eternal Champion
                      • Jun 2011

A belated hello ...i am not in Japan by the way but would love to go there some day.
                      Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

• Conrad
                        Denizen of Moo Uria
                        • Mar 2012

Late is always better than never, I beleive. So thanks for the welcome.

There is a lot of beuatiful scenerey here once you get out of the main cities. People are scared of the radiation now but it is not really a problem outside of the imediate area.

If you make it here give me a shout and I'll try to get time off to show you around Nagoya. Not much here though.

Had fun in Queensland several years ago and did one of my Masters as USQ.

Have a great weekend.

Sincerely,
                        Conrad

Comment

• UncleDes
                          Got Moves like Jagged
                          • Dec 2006

Irrashaimase!

Youkoso murutibaasu e!

UncleDes
                          Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Octo Seven
                            Aklo Tagger
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Conrad View Post
                            Hello,

Thanks for the warm welcome thingfish, Octo and Reinart. I appreciate it very much.

Yes, there is a wealth of information here and I am throughly enjoying getting lost in it. I plan on sticking around for a long time, so hopefully I'm not too boring.

Where in Canada did you first read Elric? Mine was in Saskatchewan on the morning school bus to pass the two-hour ride.

Thanks again and hope to talk again soon.

Sincerely,
                            Conrad
                            Mine was in Toronto, think I bought it in The World's Biggest bookstore! :D

Comment

• Conrad
                              Denizen of Moo Uria
                              • Mar 2012

Octo, Haven't been to Toronto for years. Hoping to get back there this summer for a bit of a vacation. Time allowing will try to hit up the Black Bull if it is still around.

UncleDes,
                              Arigatou gozaimashita. cochiracosou yoroshiku onegai itashimasu.
                              ありがとうございました。こちらこそう よろしくお願いいたします。

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Have a good one.

Sincerely,
                              Conrad

Comment

Working...
                              X