Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Greetings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings!

Salutations to all fellow forum-members! I am new to the Miscellany, and thought it best to introduce myself.

My name, as is obvious from my handle, is Lisa; I am at present 23 years old, a graduate of the University of Texas, and an aspiring writer, rogue scholar, and seeker after adventure. Academically my interests lie in East Asia, specifically in Japan before 700 AD and China during the Qin and Han dynasties. I also take a decided interest in the philosophy of religion and the role religion as an institution has played in the shaping of human history.

Yet I doubt you are here to engage in the aggrandizement of my ego, so I will set the self-admiration aside for the time being. :lol:

I first became interested in Mr. Moorcock's work as a junior high school student in the early 1990s. Having slogged dutifully through The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and put both aside in utter boredom, I voiced my complaints to a similarly bibliophilic acquaintence, who promptly pointed me in the direction of the county library's Elric Saga omnibus volumes. As I recall, I devoured the entire series in a matter of several weeks and ended up rereading it several times before I finished public school in 1999. I own the Elric books and a great deal more of Moorcock's Eternal Champion cycle these days and continue to read and reread them with relish.

While, having dispensed with the immaturity of my earlier years, I consider Tolkien generally less irksome these days, between the two my vote is still with Mr. Moorcock. His was the first world into which I delved where Chaos was not of necessity evil and grotesque, where Law posed as much threat as the forces disorder, and where hues of Balance and shades of gray determined the ways of things. Additionally, the notion of multiple planes of concurrent existence blew several fuses on my childish brain at the time, and I wiled away long hours in silly contemplation at ways to access other planes. (The madness, mind you, has never quite worn off. Perhaps Arioch and his ilk have worked their claws into my soul and perpetrated a bit of good-natured corruption. )

In high school I discovered Hawkmoon, and while he did not hold my attention as intensely as Elric, I found his world fascinating. Many were the days I spent in puzzlement at the animalian languages of the various societies of Granbretan and their animal masks. I caught hints that the Eternal Champion was more than just Elric and a few scantly-mentioned others. These days I am familiar with so many more of his incarnations, and the wondrous, warping effect all this had on my mind has brought me, through time and coincidence, here.

Certainly it can be said that Mr. Moorcock's work altered my perception of what fantasy literature can be. It is good to know that there are so many like-minded others and, not least of all, a forum in which we may all interact with the author himself, picking at his brain endlessly till the world falls away.

All that said, I look forward to interacting with you all.

Hello Lisa,
    I thank the fortunate winds that brough you here, and I'm sure all of us here will stand in a happy cue to welcome you here. I hope you'll feel at home soon.
    Hawkmoon was also my first contact with Michael Moorcock's world, but that's a little longer ago, approx. 1973.

Oh, and my speciality field used to be Sumer, not so far east.

Kind regards,
    L'Etranger
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Welcome to the forum Lisa! :D

I don't have a speciality field, but I'm also a keen fan of "self-admiration".

Just don't mention gay dogs or Jamie Cullum, and I'm sure you'll have a fine time here at MWM.
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Welcome!

Though hardly a lesson in history, you may wish to view the movie called Hero (yes, I'm going on about it again!). Your interest in the Qin and Han dynasties should hopefully lend itself well to the feel of the movie.

I'll go and hide in the corner now, before I get accused of being in PR!
        Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Weeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllccccccccccccoooooooooooo oommmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Comment

Nice to meet you...

Comment

A heartfelt thanks for all the warm welcomes! I look forward to enjoying the company of my fellow-fans for a long time!

Comment

Hi Lisa. Look forward to seeing your posts in the "Religion and Spirituality" thread! :D
                \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Welcome, Lisa! Good to have you here. Make yourself at home. There's beverages and lunchmeat in the fridge...

...but do steer clear of the broom closet. Trust me on this.
                  "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                  --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

And Greetings from me too, by the way.

I've enjoyed Michael Moorcock's attack on reality for quite a long time. :)

Comment

Greetings Lisa.
                      Regret achieves nothing. Regret breeds weakness. Regret is a cancer which attacks the body's vital organs and eventually destroys.

Comment

Working...
                      X